[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good books on pirates? I'm thinking of teaching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 1449851592657.gif (979KB, 245x337px) Image search: [Google]
1449851592657.gif
979KB, 245x337px
What are some good books on pirates? I'm thinking of teaching a course on piracy /lit, but I'm having trouble filling it out.
>>
Moby Dick
>>
>>8658554
Not really.

>>8658548
If you mean fiction, Treasure Island is pretty fun. If you mean historical, I'm not sure.
>>
>>8658548
arrrrrrrrr
>>
>>8658566
Treasure Island is great. I would start there. There's tons of influence from the story and it's a fun read.
>>
If you're teaching a course on something, I assume you're an academic

If you're an academic, I assume you know how to ask the reference librarian at your institution

So right now I would say you're almost definitely not teaching a course and are just trying yo avoid being shamed for wanting to read genre fiction.

On the off-chance you are actually teaching a course, make sure to ask your librarian for some Caribbean works. Caribbean lit is dope as hell and severely undervalued in academia, but I can't think of any specific works involving pirates.
>>
>>8658596

The reference librarian was helpful, but not enough. Genre /lit haha. Good one. So far I have:

Nonfiction

Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash
Pirate Utopias

Fiction

Pussy, Queen of the Pirates by Kathy Acker
City of the Red Night by William Burroughs
Nostromo by Joseph Conrad (although only via a broad interpretation of "pirate")
Treasure Island (thanks anon, the obvious slipped right under my nose)

I was thinking about Moby Dick, but I think even it is stretching a broad definition of piracy.
>>
>>8658548

Lord Jim - Joseph Conrad
>>
>>8658548
Aren't you that student that teaches other students or some shit?
>>
>>8658548
Rediker, Marcus. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1993.

A vivid portrayal of Anglo-American seafaring and piracy in the 18th century, set against the larger issues of social upheaval and the rise of capitalism. Rediker compares favorably the democratic life aboard a pirate ship and the tyrannical hierarchy faced by “Jack Tar” aboard the Merchant or Royal Navy.

Sherry, Frank. Raiders and Rebels: The Golden Age of Piracy. New York: Hearst Marine, 1986.

Sherry presents a chronological history of the Golden Age of piracy, examining both the causes and consequences of piracy. Several chapters are devoted to the “outlaw nation” established on Madagascar, described by the author as the “only one true democracy on earth.” Sherry also discusses pirates’ insistence on individual rights and their adherence to codes of behavior.

Both easily pirateable
>>
https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/exploring-the-early-americas/interactives/buccaneers-of-america/

another anon asked this same question and some other anon recommended this, passing it along since it seems legit
>>
>>8658673
>Both easily pirateable

whahahahahaha. Thanks. I want more fiction!
>>
>>8658682
Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton is great, and a service to early 20th century pulp. Also Captain Blood by Sabatini, which would have a good film tie-in for your class.
>>
File: 8be.jpg (25KB, 600x578px) Image search: [Google]
8be.jpg
25KB, 600x578px
>>8658629
>Pussy, Queen of the Pirates by Kathy Acker
>>
>>8658629
Was going to recommend you Pirate Utopias, though I hope you're ready to 300 pages of "Why muslim pirates are the real anarchists" (I didn't mind and actually loved the book).

Also, Defoe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Singleton
>>
>>8658941
>>
We had a thread about pirate books with lots of recommendations just the other day, check the archive
>>
The Vikings were kind of like pirates.
>>
Imagine having a job where you can just decide to spend a couple of months teaching about pirates. Holy fuck that's like heaven. Here I am filling in an excel sheet about logging industry statistics.
>>
Bonito Ceremony by Melville is kiiiinda a pirate book I guess.

Under the Black Ensign by Hubbard isn't very /lit/ but it is piratey.
>>
>>8660594
Benito Cereno
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.