[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Titus Groan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Tglg.jpg (98KB, 316x500px) Image search: [Google]
Tglg.jpg
98KB, 316x500px
I'm not a huge reader, but I am a music-head, and I realized there's a lot of good music based on this series, so I decided to give it a go. I just finished it; I really loved it.

Do you guys enjoy the series?
>>
bump. Send the music anon, i didn't read the series but am very interested in it, seems amazing
>>
>>8658474
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_37Kl473jpE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiTlaetHG9U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycxc8Xitweo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j53D4o0CfQ

plus a bunch of others that I either haven't heard or kind of suck, the guy from Can did a whole opera apparently
>>
Lol there was literally just a thread on this. But yeah its one of my favourite series of books. Really great atmosphere and prose.
>>
>>8658551
Curses, my greatest fear: swooping in after the board's already burnt out on something.
>>
>>8658570
Yeah, it's unfortunate you missed it. It's a great series though. I've never really understood the comparison to LoTR; they're just so different. However, I do find that the architectural descriptions in Gormenghast are perfect. Also the wooden statue carving sequence is such a bizarre conception.
>>
Prunesquallor is such a great man
>>
>>8658588
There are some mild similarities here and there (I've only read part of the Hobbit, though). Peake and Tolkien both write in a similar sort of whimsical manner. Gormenghast suggests LotR-type fantasy in some ways—the mud dwellers and certain of the more grotesque characters like Swelter seem to be part of some inhuman race, though I'm almost positive everyone is human (albeit a kind of contingent lineage of the human race that doesn't exist on Earth per se?)

>>8658594
In the beginning I wanted him to die, but as time wore on I noticed he's actually one of the nicer, smarter, and even more valiant people in the book.
>>
I read Titus Groan, Gormenghast, and Boy in Darkness, but boy could I not get into Titus Alone. I only made it a few chapters when I realized I didn't give a shit about Titus the character (outside of a few moments, like when he connects with his sister or plays marbles with the headmaster), what I gave a shit about was Prunesquallor and Steerpike and Flay, and THE FUCKING CASTLE. I missed castle Gormenghast most of all. If the series was finished properly (it was supposed to be five books, IIRC), I could've powered through to see what happens. Bits at the end of Gormenghast really foreshadowed Titus returning to the castle eventually.
>>
>>8658660
His mind was rotting by the time he got to Titus Alone. Probably would have written an interesting outer world for Titus to grow in to if he had survived. Mr Pye is more worthy of being read than Titus Alone.
>>
>>8658594
Absolutely, like >>8658628 said his introduction made him seem like another goofball eccentric, but he had a very surprising amount of depth and heart. He was probably one of the most thoughtful characters in the series.
>>
Also, has anybody read Titus Awakes, the one his wife wrote? Is it any good, or is it a Brian Herbert type situation?
>>
>>8658660
I think the end of Gormenghast is already a good ending, nothing exists outside of Gormenghast so the series just ends when Titus leaves. I think two books would have been enough. I still tink Titus Alone is OK, but it's not nearly as good.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.