[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First USA Booker winner!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

File: bookr.jpg (89KB, 857x354px) Image search: [Google]
bookr.jpg
89KB, 857x354px
First American to win Booker! Yay! Let's see all the happiness on /lit/ ...

..... crickets.

Oh, right, he's black. Never mind, /pol/.
>>
>>8658169
Well let's not pretend he won it on merit.
>>
Sorry pushkin and dumas were the only black authors reading.
>>
>>8658181

Or that we care about literary prizes.

We only talk about the nobel because it was a hilarious goof, not because anyone cares that someone more 'deserving' didn't get it.

And yeah, this is a clear case of social programming anyway. The Sellout was a soulless, shameless exercise in hot-topic race-baiting. Readers are too smart to fall for that shit.

Then again, readers are too smart to care about literary prizes, so, good job, Beatty.
>>
File: 00sk.jpg (11KB, 426x349px) Image search: [Google]
00sk.jpg
11KB, 426x349px
>black author wins lit award
>cool, whatever
>look up book
>it's about racial shit
>>
Beatty appeared surprised that his novel had been selected from the six shortlisted titles. “I can’t tell you guys how long of a journey this has been for me,” he said. He thanked his agent, his girlfriend, and his editor. At times, he choked up.

“Can I talk about the book for one second?” he asked, getting a laugh. “I did a reading in Detroit, at a small college, they did a little get-together in my honor with some city kids, I had to do a formal reading like this — I wasn’t dressed as formally,” he said, a nod to the tuxedo he wore. “I couldn’t get through the second paragraph of the book — I just started crying, crying, crying. I couldn’t stop crying. … This went on for five minutes. … I finally got some semblance of composure, and I said, ‘As hard as I work on everything I’ve ever written, when I heard that book out loud, it was the first time I had heard it out loud, or really read it, and I was like, oh my goodness, it matches exactly the language in my head.’”

It was a nod to the difficulty of the project of writing. “I didn’t want to write — I hate writing,” Beatty added. But he was prompted by Creative Capital, a nonprofit that provides funds directly to artists and writers, to undertake something, and that something was the genesis of “The Sellout.”
>>
let me guess his subject matter is whites are evil.

so refreshing.
>>
>>8658211
Hahaha some special interest group literally threw money at a monkey to make it dance; it wins the Man Booker.

Must be nice being black desu.
>>
>>8658169
To be fair, the entire list was shit.
>>
>>8658169
SHEEEEEEEEIT!!!
>>
>>8658215

And here's the poltard to take a big bite of this race bait and form the other leg of this inane bipod.

lol... get socially programmed, slut
>>
File: lenny pillow.png (205KB, 875x875px) Image search: [Google]
lenny pillow.png
205KB, 875x875px
>>8658169
What's the title of his book again?
>>
File: image.gif (4MB, 394x221px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
4MB, 394x221px
>>8658181
>>8658202
>>8658205
>>8658207
>>8658211
>>8658215
>>8658229
>>8658236
Why are white boys so easy to trigger
>>
>>8658243
Eagle-like perception there anon :^)
>>
>>8658246
/lit/ isn't any better than /pol/ race-baiting and all around faggotry are very common here.
>>
>>8658169
because its shite
>>
File: Buka Man.jpg (79KB, 714x1132px) Image search: [Google]
Buka Man.jpg
79KB, 714x1132px
>>8658169
>>
File: Curly tah.jpg (65KB, 477x325px) Image search: [Google]
Curly tah.jpg
65KB, 477x325px
>>8658248
why cointenly
>>
File: DFW4.png (114KB, 347x344px) Image search: [Google]
DFW4.png
114KB, 347x344px
>>8658256

>Implying these threads aren't always 100% pol users
>>
>>8658272
I'm not just talking about this thread. The amount of shitflinging that goes on here for such a slow board is insane.
>>
>>8658283
he said "these threads" not "this". Also you need to be more proactive about hiding shit threads.
>>
>>8658283
Threads like "solipsism, you can't refute it" get shit replies. Who knew?
>>
>>8658202
>pushkin and dumas
>black authors

having a tiny share of the black blood makes one a black author~
>>
>>8658246
Tfw white dudes pretending to be black online.
>>
>>8658169
Whiteboy Shuffle is great. Havent heard good things about The Sellout.
>>
>>8658229
laughing in all directions.
>>
WE
>>
WERE
>>
No.
>>
-BILTY
>>
PROPERTY
>>
'N'
>>
The book is good. Often quite funny. Sometimes hilarious. It wasn't THAT good though. It kind of got tedious.

Also, it isn't about whites being evil, at all. It's about self acceptance and the ridiculousness of contemporary identity politics.

It's nice that comic novels are getting more and more recognition.
>>
>>8658541
Also, I might add that it's one of the most clearly literary novels to win the booker in some years. And probably too literary for most people on this retard infested board to grasp.
>>
>>8658546
No one here actually read it.
>>
'Political satire' ughh no thanks
>>
AHAHA
Just accept that meme's like Delilo, McCarthy, Pynchon and Roth will never win because they suck; they'll be forgotten after their dead by everyone but a few shitposters.
>>
Yeah but what KIND of political satire? Is it making fun of Herman Cain or Corrine Brown?
>>
>>8658577
The main character sells weed and watermelons for a living

[Spoiler]I'm not making this up
>>
File: postdog.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
postdog.gif
1MB, 400x225px
>>8658576
>meme's like
>after their dead
>>
>>8658169
Is there even a worthwhile literary prize?
>>
>>8658169
>the sellout
really makes you ponder
>>
>>8659066
Not really. The national book award was still ok up to the mid 90s but that was probably the last decent one and the last time it was decent.
>>
the book is probably crafted better than James Joyce Ulysses
>>
>>8658202
Marlon James' 'A Brief History of Seven Killings' was quite good, in my opinion.
>>
>>8658397

I say it sarcastically since in reality they're the only good black authors which are the least black as well that objectively exist. As in "didn't just publish 1 meme book like things fall apart" and actually had lasting cultural impact on their time.
>>
>>8659140
Yams Fall Apart wasn't that bad.
>>
>The Sellout

Further evidence that the universal order is essentially poetic.
>>
>>8658576
What books did they publish the in last year?
>>
>>8658169
Okay, okay. They've proved they're diverse and they've satisfied the identity-politics police. Can they go back to awarding prizes based on merit now?
>>
>>8659115
James Joyce couldn't craft a shit
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/jan/27/scientists-reveal-multifractal-structure-of-finnegans-wake-james-joyce
>>
>>8658389
We need to do to solipism the same thing /leftypol/ did to Stirner. Turn it into a meme.
>>
>>8658169
>American
>Literature
who cares about some no-name seppo winning a blue ribbon?
>>
i liked the black guy who won last year, and so did others here as i recall
>>
Let's take a look at the shortlist.

>Paul Beatty - The Sellout, US
>Deborah Levy - Hot Milk, UK
>Graeme Macrae Burnet - His Bloody Project, UK
>Ottessa Moshfegh - Eileen, US
>David Szalay - All That Man Is, UK
>Madeleine Thien - Do Not Say We Have Nothing, Canada
>>
>>8659707
I read all his books last year, and his previous ones were even better than Brief History.

>>8659716
His Bloody Project looks pretty good desu

>>8658550
This, this exact same thread came out last year when James won and then everyone who did read it was really impressed.
>>
>>8658169
WE
>>
K-K-K Kombobrecher.
>>
>>8659716
I can tell you from the 20 or so pages I've smapled from each of these that the ones I enjoyed the most were The Sellout and Hot Milk. the others had terrible premises and writing. dont even go near Eileen without a barf bag, and fucking kek at a historical drama shit getting nominated (bloody project) Do Not Say is passable. But that's only my opinion based on the few pages that I read from each. Just go on Amazon and read the samples or at any book store.
>>
>>8658169
>satire
>racial politics
where's the eyeroll emoji?
>>
>>8658246
whitebois be thinking it aint like it is but it do

s m h
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.