[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of questions do ye ask yourselves when starting a new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 3404369.jpg (34KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
3404369.jpg
34KB, 225x350px
What kind of questions do ye ask yourselves when starting a new story? And what is the best way to think about other character's stories and how should i go about connecting or developing them?
>>
Questions like
>Who
>Where
>Why

I'm writing my first story, please.
>>
File: chris-moot-poole.jpg (38KB, 618x494px) Image search: [Google]
chris-moot-poole.jpg
38KB, 618x494px
>ye
>>
None of the faggots who are going to tell you how they do it have any published material. What's the point of asking?
>>
Do you have a clear idea of what you want to write? Why do you want to write it? What questions, if any, will you be asking by writing it? What style, what mood, what setting can your story best be told in? What character would best tell this story? If it is plot driven, what are the major plot points? Where will we be in the beginning, and at the end? Do you still want to write the story?
>>
>>8657442
I think about personal experiences. Then fit them to a fictional reality. If a person shows up from my past I think how they effected my life before, what they did in the mean time, and why they're here now. Not always interesting but it fleshes things out in one of two sentences which give backstory and makes the main character seem less narcissistic.
>>
>>8657493
>>8657530
Ok. This is what i have, don't curse at me this is my first time writing.
--
She sleeps in my room. This same dark room that I’ve been sleeping on for four years now. Until yesterday everything was the usual: I would get home from class, shower, eat, do homework, write and casually sleep on top of the books. Today, the pile of books was hidden under yesterday’s clothes. The mattress on the floor (and the one that stood beside it was now also on the floor with us). The music was still on, making me want to sleep away the day together with that milky white skin that is not my own, but hers. Yes, that is her indeed. She has been there for 8 hours now, with closed eyes and closed mouth, just discreetly breathing on my exposed neck.
--

I want to write about two students: a young guy/older girl story.

I want to give a melancholy kind of feel to it, not too many adventures. But i want to make the girl have some past issues with a professor, like an affair filled with violence. Does that make sense?
Thanks for the help
>>
>>8657582
>She has been there for 8 hours now, with closed eyes and closed mouth, just discreetly breathing on my exposed neck.

I think this is your best sentence. Maybe start with this one and re-work the scene. Why are you sleeping on books? Especially when you seem to have a mattress. Violent affair with a professor sounds interesting. If you believe this is an idea you can work with and expand on, go with it.
>>
>>8657621
Thanks, man. I'll work on that then.
>>
>>8657582
I'm confused as to who hid the books under the clothes. Was it the narrator? Why? And are there two mattresses?

>The mattress on the floor (and the one that stood beside it)

If there are two, why? Are they small mattresses and does it really matter that you're using two of them at this point?

I would try writing with what you would most immediately notice from the perspective you're writing from. If you're going to bother describing what the narrator experiences in the moment I would start with what thy hear, literally feel, or smell. Use that to go into description of her and then move into the narrators feelings.

This is just from my own personal perspective, not everyone will give you same direction to go in but I find it helps for a natural progression in writing.
>>
>>8657675
The books were under the clothes because they literally took the clothes off for them sexy tiems. LOL

I have two mattresses, one small and a bigger one that i don't use so it just stays there, i just wanted to imply that it fell down accidentally. (I'm scared of writing a sex scene so i just """" """""" everything)

What i mean is, all this implies that it's not the usual room he sleeps in, somethings are different, something that he wasnt expecting, you know?

It's """""""implied""""""

But what do you mean "smells and feelings"? I don't think i could write this way ;/
>>
File: Howyoudidingym.jpg (34KB, 896x349px) Image search: [Google]
Howyoudidingym.jpg
34KB, 896x349px
>>8657736
Try and keep the reader in mind. The part about the books sounds like you're literally sleeping on top of them. That's fine if you're going to stick with ideas like that. The short narrative doesn't come off as if it's entertaining a kind of magical or silly world where one literally sleeps on their books.

I think the part about the mattresses only works to confuse the reader. Think about what you're trying to get across and then think about what is necessary to do that. There being a second mattress could probably be kept out of the narrative if it isn't relevant to what's happening or the character of the room itself. If you feel it is I would work on explaining its significance more clearly.

Don't just state what has happened. If the clothes were thrown off the bed then state it, "The pile of books was hidden under a (thrown, tossed, scatter(ed)) (jumble, mess, tangle) of yesterdays clothes."

All I have is that the books were hidden. You gave me more information that is critical to the story and its tone to make me understand in this post, you should incorporate that into the writing.

Sorry I'm not double checking/proofreading my posts, I'm doing dishes.
>>
>>8657736
>But what do you mean "smells and feelings"? I don't think i could write this way ;/

Sorry didn't answer this.

So you've already used some of the sensations of your narrator in the initial writing.

>The music was still on
hearing
>that milky white skin
seeing
>just discreetly breathing on my exposed neck
feeling

It seems alien to a reader to lead off with what isn't immediately happening to the narrator, especially in a first person perspective.

Is the narrator just waking up? If so then maybe cover that he can still hear the music from the night before. Or what he can feel (her body's warmth, coolness, smoothness, a slightly prickly patch of leg or pubis (erawtic!))

If you're first covering your evening routine with a woman in your bed you're probably from a different planet than a human. Cover that stuff AFTER you establish her being in the same bed with you. All I have is that she's in your room, then that you've been in the room alone a while, and then that you do boring things.

This isn't a fault in your writing, I hope you don't feel discouraged reading all this. These are all points everyone covers every time they write. If they don't their writing is shit. Rewriting is when writing really starts, some person said and junk.
>>
>>8657791
Ok. Noted. I changed the mattress thing because i understand it can confuse the reader.
--

Today, the pile of books was hidden under the messy clothes from yesterday. The mattress on the floor, my silent ally. The music was still on, making me want to sleep away the day together with that milky white skin that is not my own, but hers. Yes, that is her indeed. Continuously unmoving and delicate.

-

At this rate this will take 5 years to finish. I'm so bad.

Ok, now i want to go back a year. Like a flashback to explain how the first scene came to be and why he's so mesmerized by the event. Then after that's done i will pay attention to her individual plot (the affair). What do you think?

I haven't created the character's profile yet, do you think this should be a priority?
>>
>>8657442
>ye
>i

>>>/out/
>>
>>8657855
>I haven't created the character's profile yet, do you think this should be a priority?

No. Just write the story as you feel it being told. Don't be deliberate about establishing who's jerking off in the stalls at their day job until you have some sort of story already contained in either writing or outline.

>i want to go back a year

Only go back as far as necessary. If you start a story with a gamete you will lose your reader. Be very careful with your reader's time and don't assume they'll get through some boring part because you already know how it links to the greater story. It may be a more frugal use of your readers limited attention to only go back a little. The further back in time you go from the current event the stranger and more disconnected it will seem. Go back a week and have an event happen that can summarize why he's so "mesmerized" by the event.

Writing is a process. You probably shouldn't even be rewriting this until you have more written down. Make yourself write/type for an hour or two or at least get a page down. It doesn't need to be good in any way.

I also don't understand why the mattress is your ally but I wouldn't worry about that too much right now.
>>
>>8657442
qt 2d, what's she from?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.