[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The eternal recurrence is true, isn't it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: image.png (431KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
431KB, 1024x768px
The eternal recurrence is true, isn't it?
>>
Well we have this same thread every couple of days, so yeah.
>>
Sounds miserable to me desu.

But then again, my life isn't over yet, maybe the rest of it is preferable.
>>
>>8657436
Never udnerstood why people would find this upsetting. I've just been told I'm never going to experience death; I'm pretty happy about that. And the kinds of sadness I have in my life isn't the kind that can detract from that to be honest. Like I'm not being set on fire for all eternity.

It's like three steps away from traditional pie in the sky when you die type of afterlife.
>>
Our existence is a curse in that nobody wants to prolong it forever and nobody wants to end it either.
>>
>>8657444
It's miserable precisely because it nullifies the entirety of existence by suggesting it has no endpoint. It doesn't matter how 'fruitful' your life was, in the end you can never win.
>>
It isn't real.

>Even if there were exceedingly few things in a finite space in an infinite time, they would not have to repeat in the same configurations. Suppose there were three wheels of equal size, rotating on the same axis, one point marked on the circumference of each wheel, and these three points lined up in one straight line. If the second wheel rotated twice as fast as the first, and if the speed of the third wheel was 1/π of the speed of the first, the initial line-up would never recur.

>>8657458

You don't understand because you're a spoiled asshole who had never lived with real problems like chronic illness or poverty.
>>
>we need a cure for nihilism!
>religion is literally the only cure to nihilism, Nietzsche...
>n-no, religion is s-slavery
>h-have this e-eternal recurrence instead

I once told a nihilist I know about eternal recurrence. He said it's just retarded and he'd rather continue being a nihilist.
>>
>>8657436
>people actually care whether it is true or not

it's just a very handy heuristic to guide breeding and selection that takes this role away from the aristocratic class allowing them to focus their energies on something more meaningful. Whether it is literally true or not is unimportant.

It is possibly true though. Basic principles of physics tell us that energy is never really destroyed, so within a closed system containing a finite amount of energy, eventually energy and matter will arrange themselves into precisely the exact same state as they are in at this very moment.

There's of course a lot of ambiguity around the finer points of this (multiverses and whether our universe is a closed system, black holes, heat death and whether or not a new big bang will emerge), but the fundamental idea is more or less theoretically sound.
>>
>>8657520
How can you be this retarded? How can three wheels spinning independently with no energy exchange between them constitute a single connected universe?
>>
>>8657542

Nobody claimed they constitute a universe. The point is there exist examples of objects in motion that will never return to their original positions. An entire universe would have even more ways for a lack of recurrence to happen.
>>
>>8657520
>I'm a spoiled asshole who had never lived with any real problems
This is precisely my point. 10/10 reading comprehension
>>
just bee yourself :)))) do what you want to do, ydolo
>>
>>8657436
I would say that it is retarded
>>
reminder that nietz wasn't suggesting this to be literally true but rather that it can be a useful belief for "ethical" living in the Nietzschean sense

not that any of you care, not that anyone here reads
>>
>>8657604
>not that any of you care, not that anyone here reads
I litterally read Nietzsche today
It was a uni assignment
It was awful
But I'm not a regular of this board I just have nothing to do now
>>
People who take the eternal recurrence and the superman literally are fucking idiots who shouldn't be allowed to discuss anything on this board
>>
I mean, from a 3rd person POV (i.e. somewhere out of the timestream looking in), this would suck. But from my own perspective, nothing changes. I still make "choices"; I still feel the same feelings and think the same thoughts, regardless of how many repetitions we've been through. I'm not going to know that my life has been repeating until I've talked to the demon, and even then, I wouldn't necessarily piece together that it wasn't the first time I spoke to them.

All in all, from my perspective, it's a pretty "meh" concept.
>>
>>8657632
Lol.
>>8657677
>Man creates God
>God makes morals
>Ubermensch kills god
>Now man directly makes morals
>"But Nietzsche-sensei, if men is only making morals directly now, how does that change jack fucking shit?"
>>
>>8657716
His philosophy has always been about growing a ball sack and forcing change into the world, no matter if it's good or bad.
>>
>>8657733
neechee was a fucking idiot but that's not what he meant at all
>>
>>8657520
it's entirely possible that the universe randomly decreases in net entropy, and it is possible that it does so in a way that it becomes identical to the universe at another point in time, which means it would have ended up at the "beginning". it would take stupendous amounts of time, but hey.
>>
>>8657698
>>8657532
these
>>
>>8657436
no, that would be terrible, I lived my life with death in mind, stripping that away would make it agonizingly pointless.
>>
>>8657716
>>Ubermensch kills god
no, man has ALREADY killed god. They have ALREADY lost all their values. They are the nihilists.

The Übermensch is there to restore what is lost, but in a way that agrees more with Nietzsche.

So it changes jack shit in the way that it now gives us values again out of a value-less time, but they are better because the will to power is somehow a more basal and less prejudice value or something.
>>
>>8657873
>power to will ... value

I meant "basis of values". my bad
>>
>>8657873
There Ubermensch cannot restore anything. All he can do is live his life the way he wants to and be an inspiration to those who look up to him.
>>
>>8657436

In the sense that it exists as a thought experiment posited by Niet, sure. There is nothing else true about it. No moment is the same as any previous moment.
>>
>>8657436
No, that's a bad joke. Just like eternal life.
The will is all that stands.
>>
Whats the point of such meaningless hypotheticals
>what if tomorrow you grew 20 dicks all over your body, and they started shitting blood and stuff, wouldn't you just want to end it all
Look ma I'm doing philosofeys!
>>
>>8658101
Nietzsche is just glorified self-help anyways.
>>
File: rage.png (132KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
rage.png
132KB, 500x500px
>>8657436
AWW MOM! NOT MEATLOAF AGAIN!!!
>>
>>8657436
this world will perish and be made anew. i will come to be again and live my life again. it can be no other way
>>
File: 1474305155726.png (810KB, 766x606px) Image search: [Google]
1474305155726.png
810KB, 766x606px
>mfw atemporal solipsistic non-contesting is a way more effective recipe for amor fati and being über than this recurrence bullshit
seriously Nietzsche's pomposity is self-defeating
if there's a universe out there where he concentrated on Hegel and Stirner instead of that bitter cunt Schopenhauer i bet in it philosophy would be a fossil by our time
>>
The autism in this thread hurts.

The neitsche quote in op asks the reader to consider whether they have had an experience so incredible that they would suffer through the rest of their life over and over again for all eternity just to live that experience again.

The implication is that if you have never had such an experience, your life is shit and you need to go pursue having such an experience.
>>
>>8657479
But if you enjoy life, who cares?
>>
A little of column A, a little of column B.

It would be good because sometimes I see things in a very beautiful way and feel sad that neither I nor anybody else will ever see the same things in the same way ever again in all of the universe.

It would be bad because of everything else.
>>
>>8658037
That's restoring the possibility of value and belief to the nihilists.
>>
>>8657440
Underrated
>>
File: ALLAHU ACKBAR.jpg (145KB, 1840x1227px) Image search: [Google]
ALLAHU ACKBAR.jpg
145KB, 1840x1227px
>>8657532

Religion is a cure in as much as homeopathic piss water is a cure. Disregard all placebos.
>>
>>8657436
What a fucking drama queen.If it starts again, eh whatever.Idk why anyone would complain when one of the alternatives is absolute nothingness.
>>
>>8659139
No, tremendous is not the same as great. He's also talking about existing in a particular moment at the point of asking, not remembering something (like in real life you're remembering, but in the hypothetical you're actually there). The way I take it is as there being times where we are in the present and have charged ourselves with performing some action or other. At those moments we would do it all again because we prioritize the manifestation of our will.

>>8657520
I think this idea that recurrence has to be identical is misguided, partly because I think N would be familiar with this idea from all sorts of sources, even perhaps contemporary sources in a mathematical sense.

Looking at his notes he probably did think ER is a thing, but to then take ER as exactly identical things happening over and over again is a leap.

Similarly, taking the OP quote, as Heidegger did, as purely hypothetical is stupid. Part of it is hypothetical, but he also makes an appeal to your real life experience.
>>
>>8660168

>in as much
>Not 'inasmuch'

Why does he do this?
>>
>>8657677
>Considering /lit/ to be anything but a bunch of pathetic pseudo-intellectuals making fun of people they're completely unable to understand
Come on, you're better than this.
/lit/ is a troll board about literature and philosophy, which means: its even worse than /b/, its absolutely unapologetic scum.
>>
>>8657868
And now you know why religion is bad.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.