[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a PhD in philosophy and a degree in literature. If you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 2

File: 1475467012687.jpg (421KB, 1154x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1475467012687.jpg
421KB, 1154x1600px
I have a PhD in philosophy and a degree in literature. If you have any questions on those matters feel free to ask.
>>
Have you ever managed fitting two cocks in your asshole at the same time?
>>
Modern PHDs are next to meaningless all it confirms is that you work hard and have an IQ above 110
>>
What's your favourite book?
>>
>>8657397
What's the main reason of Aquinas choosing Aristotle over Plato?
>>
>>8657397
I am filled with ressentiment, and I shitpost about nonwhites, women, liberals, commies etc all day on /pol/ to make myself feel better.

I spend upwards of 4 hours a day searching through social media to find things to get outraged about and post on here, /r9k/, and /pol/, etc, to have a circlejerk where my idealized self image is constituted and entertained and makes me forget the squalor that is my life for a few seconds.

My answer to you is: how do we ensure the future of the white race?
>>
Do I have to take notes to really understand more complex literature?
>>
>>8657407
Not yet.
>>8657409
That's not a question.>>8657411
Gravity's Rainbow
>>8657419
Cause he was a lil' bitch. No, I don't know, that was not part of my research and I'm not interested desu
>>
>>8657425
Probably would help. Innumerable methods though.>>8657421
Give Peter Molyneux plastic surgery to look like Chomsky and stick him in MIT
>>
>>8657426
I don't think that you have a PhD in philosophy.
>>
>>8657435

What are some other methods? I just really hate taking notes while reading as it interrupts my concentration.
>>
>>8657426
How many cocks have you fitted in your asshole then?
>>
>>8657439
dictaphone or similar.
>>
>>8657426
>that was not part of my research and I'm not interested
You don't have to be qualified to know about it. It's a phil101-tier knowledge. I think you're just a troll.
>>
>>8657439
Read and then reread slowly with notetaking.
>>
>>8657453
You also don't have to know about it to be qualified.

I don't know how to play smoke on the water but I cam play guitar. Sounds spooky but stretch your imagination as far as you can and realise it's a possibility.
>>
What's your job and how much do you make?
>>
>>8657461
You sound like a complete douchebag tho.
>>
>>8657437
He isn't. No PhD graduate on 4chan comes down and opens a thread like this. This isn't fucking Reddit. He's just dicking with people.
>>
>>8657481
Self-employed cartoonist. Not so much.
>>8657496
Fight me.
>>
>>8657397
I'm majoring in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science (relatively time-consuming degree); can you give me any reasons why I should finish my minors in literature and philosophy instead of just continuing to read and think independently for the rest of my life - I would need to stay in school for probably a semester longer than if I didn't pick up the minors.
>>
>>8657510
I don't know why you think 4chan is so alternative compared to reddit. You're not as alt as you think most likely...
>>
why did you get such useless degrees?
>>
>>8657517
I'm gonna wreak your ass you little bitch, tell me your address.
>>
>>8657526
You'll probably be glad you did it and regret not having done it. That's likely as important and personal a reason as can be given without a bunch of noise about the value of philosophy and so on.
>>
>>8657531
>useless
All of these spooks and it's not even Halloween yet!
>>
>>8657526
Not OP, but only do it if you plan on making a career in philo/lit
Otherwise it's a waste of time
>>
>>8657531
Usefulness is relative old chum.
>>
>>8657534
I'll most certainly continue my study of philosophy and literature independently like I always have, but can you give me a case for why I should get those minors?
>>
>>8657397

So how many Caramel Macchiato orders did you take this morning?
>>
>>8657540
Could give you some insights you'd never consider on your own. Other than that, no. If you want it just as a hobby, keep it as one
>>
What specifically do you study? I'm not going to just ask some rando philosophy PhD. about Deleuze in the same way I wouldn't ask my medieval lit prof about John Updike
>>
>>8657546
>>
>>8657551
Yeah that's also the only reason I could think of One thing that's making me really hesitant to do so thought is that I now have to complete some exclusively-feminist/PoC related studies to finish it up.
>>
>>8657562
Supposed to be a "." after "of."

>>8657546
>>8657531
Never understood how you can base your entire life on how "useful" you are or how much money you'll make.
>>
>>8657572

>Never understood how you can base your entire life on how "useful" you are or how much money you'll make.

t. Starbucks "barista"
>>
Do you have a favorite living philosopher?
>>
>>8657397
how was being a phd student financially? i'm interested in taking a similar route
>>
>>8657397
Are you a woman?
>>
>>8657397
What should I read if I want to develop my creative talent? What work can I use to learn how to be creative?
>>
>>8657591
I'm majoring in electrical engineering and computer science which I switched to after beginning my university studies as a chemical engineering major. I'm basically king of the stemfags, but I think the meme of "use" needs to die. Do what you want - not what will make you money. All you need is enough to not die.
>>
>>8657602
Yes
>>8657597
Yeah man go for it
>>
>>8657609
This was very obvious to me, why do you think that is?
>>
>>8657606

>All you need is enough to not die.

Citation needed.

>Do what you want - not what will make you money.

Interesting approach. I want to make money so I can do what I want.

Let's see which way works best...
>>
>>8657609
yeah im dead set in going for it but how did you get the money to pay for all of it? or was it free?
>>
I am OP. I made this up. I actually dropped out of uni and am on min wage. The person who replied with the woman thing is not me. I am leaving now as this thread is no longer fun. If you try to claim you're OP then kys. All the best.
>>
>>8657426
>Gravity's Rainbow
Opinions discarded.
>>
>>8657606
that's your bourgeois idiocy speaking
degrees cost money, going on debt for some education with little to no ROI is objectively stupid
>>
>>8657397
I'm 25 and just started majoring in philosophy
Is it too late for me to follow the academic route and become a scholar? All the other people in my classes are between 17-21 years old
>>
>>8657653
>burgers
>>
I'm 18, and I'm trying to better myself by learning philosophy. Will studying philosophy, gaining wisdom through it, and becoming enlighten improve my life. Can wisdom and enlightenment be achieved through vigorously studying or does one have to be born a genius
>>
>>8657636
You actually don't even "need" to not die. I should say that, if you want to continue to live, all you need to do is sustain your ability to live, and nothing more.

>>8657653
If you're poor you can get your college paid for or default on loans. Your concept of ROI isn't universal.

Stemfags and libertarian/utilitarian pseuds really lack a lot of logical reasoning skills for how much of their life is supposedly invested in "truth".
>>
>>8657671
;)

>>8657682
>If you're poor you can get your college paid for
>implying that's easy to do

>or default on loans
>implying that's reasonable
>>
>>8657618
>>8657637
Actually, I feel bad now, I'm not the guy. I was just shitposting

Sorry f a m
>>
>>8657397
How did you enjoy the road towards getting your PHD? and how long did it take you?
>>
>>8657717
:(
>>
>>8657704
>easy
>reasonable
You're not making this case any better for yourself. You're pretty much spooked to the core.
>>
>>8657728
Getting your college paid for is not easy, as in it's very difficult. Do you know how many full scholarships are awarded every year versus the number of poor dudes trying to get into college? The odds aren't in your favor.

Do you know what defaulting on a loan actually means? The debt won't magically disappear. In fact, it will only fuck you up even more since you'll have to access to credit, no way to finance a car/house and your employers will be able to take money directly from your paychecks to repay your debt to the government. That's what I meant by not reasonable. But I guess you're not interested in being reasonable, are you?
>>
>>8657397

What historically specific role do you see contemporary serious literature in context of the roles it has previously filled?
>>
>>8657409
is that what you tell your sensitive ego?
>>
>>8657743
Community/Junior colleges are a thing as well. I transferred from a CC to UC Berkeley for their EECS program. I spent $0 for my first two years of school. If you're intelligent enough, you will find your way into an education.

Loan forgiveness is also a thing - shit, you can even dodge a loan if you're smart about it.

My whole purpose in asking you these questions is because you're very much engrossed in your idea of "right" and "wrong", of "just" and "unjust", and of "necessity". I'm trying to help you realize that your concepts of the way things "should" work will only lead you to a life of, essentially, indentured servitude.
>>
>>8657784
found the academic
>>
>>8657680
Philosophy as taught at American universities is not really about achieving wisdom and enlightenment so much as developing certain skills, vocabulary, and frameworks for dealing with arguments in a precise manner.

If you want wisdom or enlightenment, you should read literature, or at least if you red philosophy, read it as literature. Read Nietzsche or Plato or Hegel or whoever really for the personal experience of reading them, not so much to understand them, but to understand themselves.

Pretty much all good art and all good philosophy, be it in the Western philosophical tradition or not, can be helpful if you make it helpful.

Read for the poetry, not for the politics.

And avoid analytic philosophy completely.
>>
>>8657817
"red" should be read" and "themselves" should be "yourself."

Clearly you can disregard what I said because apparently I am iliterate
>>
>>8657789
Your anecdote doesn't reflect the reality of the average american student: most people will pay (fully) for their educations.

>My whole purpose in asking you these questions is because you're very much engrossed in your idea of "right" and "wrong", of "just" and "unjust", and of "necessity".
Am I? Have I even brought up justice in my previous posts?

>I'm trying to help you realize that your concepts of the way things "should" work will only lead you to a life of, essentially, indentured servitude.
Kek. Thank you?
>>
All philosophy is varying degrees of sophistry.

Prove me wrong.
>>
File: 1475588337405.jpg (133KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1475588337405.jpg
133KB, 1440x1080px
>There are poorfags ITT who actually have to worry how much money they'll be able to generate from their PhD
>>
>>8657848
Positivism
>>
>>8657848
If "totally not sophistry" is also a degree of sophistry, then I agree.
>>
>>8657860
I'm sorry not everyone is able to live off the crimes of their ancestors
>>
>>8657861
Is therefore the only school of thought that is worthwhile to accept.

Continental feelosophers btfo. Quod erat demonstrandum, faggot.
>>
>>8657848
Proof: Wrong by definition.
QED.
>>
What's your opinion on video games? Are they good or bad for the soul?
>>
Is it embarrassing to look your parents in the eyes, knowing that you wasted half a decade on getting a worthless degree?
Is it weird during the family meetings?
>y-yeah, our son majored in, um, books. He works as tech support
>>
>>8657817
why avoid analytic philosophy?
>>
>>8657653
Luckily my mother paid for my English degree.
>>
Where do you find the most meaning in life? What keeps you going?
>>
>>8657397
Hi OP

When are your thoughts on the fantasy genre and what are its merits(if you think any)?
>>
>>8657971
Your point?
>>
>>8658039
Debt isn't an issue.
>>
>>8658085
For you
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.