[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The White Guard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

I'm almost halfway through pic related and I'm having difficulties enjoying it. The book seems pretty boring as all Bulgakov does is describing super-normal Russian civil war scenes. He does it well, and some descriptions are actually beautiful, but the book seems to have no actual interesting plot.
Does it get better or am I missing something? Please help, no "lmao gtfo pleb XD" comments.
>>
>>8657295
I thought this book was pretty poor desu. Perhaps it was the translation, but it stirred me no more than a Ken Follet novel.
>>
Bump.
I need to know this. Did no one read it on this board?
>>
i have read it, i just don't know what to write here...

i like it, it has a plot, it is mostly psychological; it's not a genre fiction book to be plot-driven anyway. bulgakov lived in kiev during the civil war and so this book is also interesting from the historical point of view
>>
It's not the translation it's a play adopted to be novel by adding lots of fluff. It's still very good in parts but you have to get through pages of needles stuff to get to them. That being said it's a very good book and if you are too much of a pleb to enjoy it see if you can find the play.
>>
>>8659574
i believe the play was based on the novel, not vice versa
>>
>>8659580
yes and no It started as a novel serialized in periodicals however he abandoned that and instead made into a play. Years later he reworked the original novel and the play into what became the novel we know today which was published posthumously by his widow.
>>
>>8657295
It's an interesting book when you realise that the protagnoist is actually Kiev itself and the plot follows the suffering of the city's soul
>>
>>8659746
Thank you, this was the type of answer I wanted to get - something to make the book's subtext more interesting. But, did you just make it up or is there any evidence given by the author for this?
>>
>>8659751
Its just the impression I got when I read it, I really loved the book (perhaps because i love that period of history). The perspective flies around from one character to another, and I remember a section towards the end where narration stops for a bit and its just the voices of a crowd. And Kiev is never mentioned once but always referred to as The City, as though it doesnt need to be specified, eveyrone already knwos what it is
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.