[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A modern interpretation of Kafka's Methamorphosis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Kafka_portrait.jpg (15KB, 220x293px) Image search: [Google]
Kafka_portrait.jpg
15KB, 220x293px
What if Gregor Samsa's transformation into a vermin is supposed to represent modern-day NEETs? Now, obviously Kafka had no way of knowing about a group of people that didn't exist in his time or geographic location, but the theme of the Metamorphosis lends itself to this interpretation. Through flashbacks we see that Gregor had a job as a traveling salesman but he loses this job when he transforms. This could be interpreted as the NEET that had a job but got lazy and decided to quit. He spends his days in his room, not doing anything productive while his family waits and supports him till he gets better. However, the NEET doesn't get better just like Gregor doesn't revert to human form. Eventually, his family gets tired of having him in their house, being essentially a parasite. This mimics a family's behavior towards a NEET. They grow disgusted of them and resent them for being a drain on their resources. Eventually, Gregor dies bc of a lack of sustenance, much like a NEET that gets kicked out of the house and can't get a job.

What does /lit/ think?
>>
Get a job loser.
>>
Get a loser job.
>>
File: 18_Jb_02_03_RG.jpg (173KB, 812x610px) Image search: [Google]
18_Jb_02_03_RG.jpg
173KB, 812x610px
Job, a loser, get.
>>
Jews let her a gob.
>>
>>8657202
Dank maymays aside, that's actually pretty accurate. Kafka was suffering from TB and the idea of slowly dying in filth while becoming a financial and emotion drain on one's loved ones and slowly being abandoned is clear in the story.

However, that's the most simplistic and superficial interpretation.
>>
>>8657347
Ok, so what's your interpretation?
>>
It's actually about having depression, which I guess is related to NEETdom.
>>
>>8657363
I dunno man. I went through an entire medical textbook today, I'm tired as fuck.
>>
>>8657221
absolutely exquisite. have a (You).
>>
>>8657202

He's clearly worried about being late to work because his whole family depends on him. He really doesn't intend to quit his job. If anything, everyone else in his house is the parasite leeching off of him. It's about will and submission to traditional power structures. Like every other of his works.
>>
File: CPPLkuAWEAA6e5M[1].jpg (46KB, 426x640px) Image search: [Google]
CPPLkuAWEAA6e5M[1].jpg
46KB, 426x640px
>>8657347
>However, that's the most simplistic and superficial interpretation.
>implying Kafka actually had a different thing in mind.
>>
I think he kind of plays with the fact that he knows readers will be desparate to find a well fitting metaphorical meaning for Gregor's transformation. Time and time again he takes the piss out of these readers by creating scenarios in which it is impossible for Gregor to be a metaphorical vermin, and it could only make sense if he is literally a massive insect thing.

In any case, you end up thinking about how similar the story would be if instead of waking up as a bug he woke up with cerebral pallzy, homosexuality or multiple sclerosis.

But Kafka does not want you to be able to make such a one-to-one metaphorical reading of the transformation, because the story is meant to be completely absurd. In Greggy boy's modus operandi, waking up as a bug not absurd to him (his first reaction is to think of how it will affect his day at work) because in this world random bad shit can happen at any time and it is on the shoulders of him the victim of the bad shit/the worker to deal with it and take the blame.
>>
>>8657662
Why are Indians a so fucked up man?
>>
>>8657663
good post
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.