[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why does his work translate so well and resonate for westerners?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (328KB, 960x979px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
328KB, 960x979px
why does his work translate so well and resonate for westerners?
>>
>>8657081
I think from the get-go even in Japanese his work has been called American minimalism rendered in Japanese form. consider that a few of his fave writers include Raymond carver and fitzgerald.

I know rubin (one of his regular translators) has studied extensively in Japanese literature and probably does a good job with nuances considering the language barrier. also consider that murakami has done quite a few translations of American literature into Japanese.

there are probably lots of reasons.

thematically, I think he resonates well with economically developed nations because of the rampant use of technology and a lot of his book deal with feelings of isolation amid modernism.

also I think his themes of learning to live with unresolved issues is popular because life doesn't always have closure to our little stories and I think people anywhere will find a degree of affinity with this.
>>
>>8657081
I've hated his work and I'm a westerner.
>>
Murakami, this guy just can't write a novel without his protagonist's walk at some point turning into a brisker stride or something like a full-on run. It's like, enough already.
>>
And when the protagonist gets hungry, you can bet your bottom dollar that he's going to cook. It's like, really? Again?
>>
This thread, in my country it is nothing
>>
>>8657081
This meme in my board, It is everything.
>>
>>8657148
>thematically, I think he resonates well with economically developed nations because of the rampant use of technology and a lot of his book deal with feelings of isolation amid modernism.

Japan has these qualities to an even greater degree than America.
>>
File: 4409.jpg (85KB, 700x420px) Image search: [Google]
4409.jpg
85KB, 700x420px
>>8657081
are Grant Snider and Tom Gauld the same person?
>>
>>8657081
Isn't all this shit super common anyway?
>>
>>8657081
I've never read his novels but I'm just looking at this image and thinking "Wtf I hate Murakami now"
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.