[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

On the subject of censorshp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4417.jpg (48KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4417.jpg
48KB, 600x400px
Is there really any upsides to the way the media censors books? I struggle to find any justification as to why governments do this.
>>
Critical thinking is a threat to power. Books can contain ideas which encourage critical thinking. In modern times, a more effective technique has been to condition the people so that they can have almost every resource that they need at their disposal and not know how to use them. This is done via a seemingly innocuous but covert form of psychological warfare (television, advertising, news organizations).

Any of the upsides to censorship prior to these times can probably be found in Plato's Republic.
>>
Bit harder to censor people who have access to the internet, unless you go with the Great Firewall route. Didn't Erdogan in Turkey try to block access to Twitter? There is only an upside if you are the one controlling the information.
>>
>>8656948
Kadyrov in Chechnya keeps trying to shut down the Internet, but he's so obsessed with Instagram, it doesn't last very long.

The government doesn't have the right to jurisdiction in books or on the Internet, news media is a different story because they've proven themselves to be biased anyway.
>>
Prevents the spread of ideas harmful to society.
>>
>>8657691
>harmful to those in power
ftfy
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.