[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Most desired piece of lost writing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: loa2.jpg (56KB, 408x450px) Image search: [Google]
loa2.jpg
56KB, 408x450px
What is it? You have to pick the one you most want to see recovered but you can name some honorable mentions. Mention specific works or authors rather than general stuff like the Library of Alexandria or burning of Mayan manuscripts.

Most famous examples for reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_work

I'm studying the ancients really hard right now, so I'm focused mostly there. I'd probably pick the poems of Sappho just due to how influential she was, even though Hipponax is my personal favorite of the lyric poets. And as a lover of obscure and dead religions, the Manichean Arzhang would have to be high up there too.
>>
>>8654827
I'd go with Melville's "Isle of the Cross," assuming it was a novel.
>>
File: IMG_0233.jpg (184KB, 622x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0233.jpg
184KB, 622x800px
Gilgamesh completely restored with no missing lines desu
>>
The restoration of Sappho is a very good choice, and perhaps the most responsible, but for me it's Cardenio, assuming the information passed down to us about it is correct. Shakespeare meets Cervantes is just too good to pass up.
>>
>>8654827
aristotle's second book on humor
>>
>Shakespeare's Cardenio
>complete Gilgamesh
>poems of Sappho
>Melville's Isle of the Cross

Oh man, so many good choices. To add one more to the list, even though it's rather vague, I'd like to see the lost two thirds of Aristotle's corpus.
>>
>>8655132
Isn't that kept in an Italian monastery?
>>
titanomachy i guess, the surviving fragments are enticing
http://www.theoi.com/Text/EpicCycle.html#Titanomachy

>>8655145
a mad monk ate it
>>
>>8655145
>>8655132

this was an umberto eco joke?
>>
>>8655216
the book is an actual lost book, the second part of his poetica, on comedy
>>
>Book of Bai Ze A guide to the forms and habits of all 11,520 types of supernatural creatures in the world, and how to overcome their hauntings and attacks, as dictated by the mythical creature, Bai Ze to the Yellow Emperor in the 26th century BCE.
>>
>>8655216
yeah i fucking know
>>
>>8654827
probably Gilgamesh, the homer, socrates' fables, poetics pt 2, the theban cycle, hortensius, anything Bible related (outside apocrypha and commentary), Ur-Hamlet, Shakespeare's lost works, Moliere's lost works, Rimbaud's lost works, and Isle of the Cross are my top picks.

I'd probably narrow it down to Gilgamesh, the Theban Cycle, and Ur-Hamlet- and then pick the Theban Cycle.
>>
File: 2_0.jpg (4KB, 193x188px) Image search: [Google]
2_0.jpg
4KB, 193x188px
>>8655343
>the homer
>socrates' fables
>>
>>8654827
the complete version of "on nature" by parmenides
>>
>>8655114

How much of Gilgamesh is missing?
>>
>>8655461
>>socrates' fables
i guess it's aesop ones put in verse by socrates
>>
>>8655532
oh yeah i remember it now. they are the one he composed when he was about to drink the hemlock right (i think it was mentioned in phaedo iirc)? i thought it was less of a literal thing that hapened though
>>
>>8654827
Aristotle's lost works. Considering his genius, we would be conquering the galaxy right now if that hadn't been lost.
>>
File: aquinas.jpg (34KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
aquinas.jpg
34KB, 370x370px
>Not the Montecassino Renunciation in 29 Articles
>>
>>8655461
neck yourself
>>
>>8655626
No not some crappy, self-indulgent theology. Actual significant literature.
>>
Lost books of Livy
Q Source
Contents of the Library of Alexandria
Contents of the Dissolved Monasteries in Britain
>>
>>8655493
Fortunately not too much, but some really important parts are gone like Enkidu's complete vision of the afterlife, and The explanation of some golem creatures. Of course there's a lot of soliloquies that are fractured as well.
>>
>>8655126
I'd pick Sappho's lost scrolls over Cardenio. With Shakespeare there are already plenty of other surviving works, but most of what we have left of Sappho's work are frustrating fragments.
>>
>>8654827
Any and all Petronius.
>>
The Book of the Wars of the Lord, just to see what exactly it is.
>>
My old diary desu
>>
>>8656034
the only right answer
>>
>>8655936
i have faith it'll turn up eventually
>>
Heraclitus
>>
Another Anglo-Saxon epic or some more elegies would be nice.

Something else from the Trojan cycle is probably a safe bet.
>>
A guy called something-dorus wrote what might have been a lexicon in at least 9 scrolls. If it is a lexicon it would be very nice to have.
Primary sources are cool, but the amount possible information about the ancient world in a lexicon would make me choose that.
>>
>Socrates' verse versions of Aesop's Fables.
>>
>>8655265
sounds cool
>>
Reminder you were born just in time to read several of the great lost works in the coming years
>>
A big, comprehensive history from Achaemenid or Sassanid Persia would be incredibly cool.
>>
The rest of the Satyricon
>>
>>8654827

Shakespeare's original manuscripts
>>
>>8654827
I'd hope for the last lines of The Bacchae
>>
>>8655591
this, i hear that people used to think ihs lostw ritings were genius and very witty and funn and all we got were the boring info books
>>
The Mystery of Edwin Drood being finished.
>>
James joyce finnegans dream
>>
>>8654827

Diogene's lost work as well as many of pre-socratics.
>>
So, I always hear about the importance of the LoA, and how if it didn't burn (it burned because Augustus Caesar wanted to burn his ship to keep people from following him or something right?) we'd be exploring the galaxy by now. Do you really think we'd actually be all up in the galaxy's grill at this point? What might the LoA have honestly held?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.