[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hoppin' With Flavor!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: J-R.png (130KB, 325x500px) Image search: [Google]
J-R.png
130KB, 325x500px
Hoppin' With Flavor!
>>
i had hops growing outside in pots but then wallabies ate the sprouts and they died
>>
is this book good
>>
>>8654306
Yes.

>>8654293
I wish Willie hadn't died in '98. It'd be interesting to see what he'd have to say about this shitshow of a millennium.
>>
>>8654322
he would be a channer ;_;
>>
>>8654293
I thought I was cool for being able to read DFW but I went in blind on JR and hot damn this is unlike anything else I've read, challenge-wise.
>>
I read Agape Agape and I own A Frolic Of His Own but JR seems like the most interesting of his books. Also A Carpenter's Gothic is short so I better try that one.
>>
>>8655752
Have you read The Recognitions?
>>
>>8656027
no, gotta love the Dalkey Archive cover of that sweet thang tho
>>
File: 20120325-143631.jpg (241KB, 718x1023px) Image search: [Google]
20120325-143631.jpg
241KB, 718x1023px
>>8656040
I prefer the Penguin 20th Century Classics covers to the Dalkey ones. Also, the intro to JR in the Penguin edition is way better than Moody's gushing panegyric.
>>
File: IMG_20160524_161037.jpg (748KB, 1728x2880px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160524_161037.jpg
748KB, 1728x2880px
>>8656057
I have pic related and the J R from the same series because I ordered used copies and those happened to be the ones they had. Also I've read everything by Gaddis. My rankings are

J R>The Recognitions>Agapē Agape>A Frolic of His Own>Carpenter's Gothic>The Letters of William Gaddis>The Rush for Second Place
>>
>>8655752
A Frolic of His Own is very underrated. I enjoyed it more than Recognitions. Although JR remains a favourite
>>
>>8656755
Frolic doesn't get enough attention for sure.
>>
>>8654306

It's shit.
>>
holy...
>>
>>8658306
Someone definitely has no use of hands and feet.
>>
File: dfw laugh1.png (122KB, 281x314px) Image search: [Google]
dfw laugh1.png
122KB, 281x314px
>its a Jack Gibbs can't stop saying "God Damn" after every word chapter
>>
>>8654670
One of the best things about JR is that it's challenging without being masturbatory. He alludes to a lot of music/composition stuff, and, of course, there are Lit-references scattered about, but he's not doing anything to show off. The non-dialogue is fucking gorgeous and brief, the biz-talk is essential to the plot/themes (obviously), and the characters, when their pretentious, are satirized for being so (J.G.'s Agape Agape is shit on by Rhoda multiple times (not sure if you got that far yet)). It's a brilliant book.
>>
>>8659016
mmmmm now I need a reread. Also something that JR's characters feel incredibly real and varied despite we get nothing but dialogue from them. Bast is based.
>>
>>8659159
J R>Gibbs>Whiteback>Coach Vogel>Davidoff>Crawley>Bast>Eigen>Rhoda>Amy>Mrs. diCephalis>Major Hyde>Governor Cates>Beaton>Stella>Dan diCephalis>etc.
>>
Im gonna guess J.R. isn't a good place to start with Gaddis? If I've read difficult literature before and done that fine, will J.R. be alright? The big thing I'm worried about is missing a lot of the "point" or the plot because I don't know a whole lot of business or economics lingo.
>>
>>8659276
It doesn't really do anything that complicated business-wise. The main thing people struggle with is the format, which is that it's roughly 90% dialogue without he said, she said type attributions and there are no chapters.

It isn't that hard, but if you insist on an easier Gaddis to start off with read Carpenter's Gothic.
>>
>>8659296
>>8659276
only hard part for me was the school field trip to the stockbroker's office. after a while you get the feel of how a character talks.
>>
>>8659254
Holy... I wouldn't have put Davidoff that far up there at all. Gibbs>Bast>Eigen>Rhoda>JR>Amy>Coen>Whiteback for me. I don't even mean for character-development... more entertainment. Rhoda is hilarious... even though she's a bitch. She had a way of grounding a lot of people, even though she was one of the crazier ppl in the book.
>>
>>8659296
Oh awesome. Thanks
>>
>>8659415
I could have drownded!

Mine was just about how funny I found each character after two reads.
>>
>>8659459
Kek

The whole cat thing.

"Are we gonna ball or what?"
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.