[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Military

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 10

File: Eric-Greitens-600x382.jpg (74KB, 600x382px) Image search: [Google]
Eric-Greitens-600x382.jpg
74KB, 600x382px
What a overrated fuck
>>
File: ed.jpg (32KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
ed.jpg
32KB, 600x338px
Prem ejac? Tell us about better fucks you've had.
>>
>>8654129
blame dads across america who eat this shit up.
>>
>>8654129

These kinds of books are for idiots who have never served in the military and see stuff like Transformers and American Sniper as what it's like to be in a military unit. It's basically the same people that watch "bushcraft" videos on Youtube or let's plays. It's living vicariously through someone else.

That said, the only good war memoirs are One Bullet Away, Storm of Steel, David Kenyan Webster's book about being in the 101st (along with the addition of Beyond Band of Brothers), and Helmet For My Pillow.

Honourable mentions are Rifleman Harris's book about the rifle brigade, and a book I can't remember the name of about a Bavarian in Napoleon's army.
>>
Exmilitary: What an overrated fuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPtPo8Sa3NE
>>
>>8654192
I thought Philip Caputo's memoir of Vietnam was pretty /lit/, really well written, beyond the prose of your typical memoir
>>
>>8654129
>what bootlickers say
Ironically Have You Ever Seen The Rain? is on the radio right now.
>>
File: normal dog then angery dog.jpg (23KB, 480x245px) Image search: [Google]
normal dog then angery dog.jpg
23KB, 480x245px
>tinfoil libertarian militia culture

>neocon interventionist george bush shit
>>
While we're on the subject, I'm reading pic related right now. Can't recommend it enough as far as books on the Iraq War.
>>
Navy Seals write a shitload of books because they have little transferable skills when they get out.
>>
>>8654192
>Helmet for my Pillow
>no With the Old Breed
>>
File: Blackwater_Scahill.jpg (17KB, 331x500px) Image search: [Google]
Blackwater_Scahill.jpg
17KB, 331x500px
>>8655177
It's more about the war business's ready need for propaganda
>>
File: haSSel.jpg (48KB, 335x500px) Image search: [Google]
haSSel.jpg
48KB, 335x500px
Who /haSSel/ here?
>>
>>8654518

I'll give it a look.

>>8655189

Robert's was better written.
>>
>>8654192
Did you read Phil Klay's Redeployment? What'd you think? I liked the story where somebody said the only honest war movie would be two hours of a guy growing up, getting married, loving his family, and thirty seconds of him being shot and drowning in the surf.
>>
>>8654192
>let's plays

What? People watch this shit because they inexplicably have some aversion to playing video games for themselves?
>>
>>8655221

Never even heard of it.

>>8655231

Surrogate friendship/living vicariously through people having friends.
>>
>>8655231
Didn't you have that beta friend that wanted to watch you play single player games rather than play himself?

Cognitive cuckery at its finest.
>>
Any recommendations for books about military medicine? Long term plan is to become a military surgeon
>>
File: Dirty_Wars_book_cover_US_Final.jpg (215KB, 647x978px) Image search: [Google]
Dirty_Wars_book_cover_US_Final.jpg
215KB, 647x978px
sup
>>
>>8654192
My vote would be for Matterhorn, shits brutal. the author's a Rhodes scholar and he can really write, it's a cut above every other war memoir i've read.
>>8655054
Great choice. Read a lot about how American troops were short on men early in the occupation, but I had no idea how terrifyingly thin-stretched they really were until this book
>>
howdy
>>
File: killinghope_300_463.jpg (113KB, 300x463px) Image search: [Google]
killinghope_300_463.jpg
113KB, 300x463px
what up
>>
File: zinkyboys.jpg (23KB, 366x366px) Image search: [Google]
zinkyboys.jpg
23KB, 366x366px
I heard this is the best Soviet Aghan war memoir but I haven't read it. It's a sharp contrast from the Vietnam memoirs because at that time America was fighting a losing war at the height of their power while the Soviets fought and lost in Afghanistan just before the collapse.
>>
>>8656698
>Cockburn
>>
>>8656564
That was me :(
>>
I've been meaning to read The Face of War by Martha Gellhorn and War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning by Chris Hedges. What do you guys think of those?
>>
>>8656698
Andrew, Claud and Patrick Cockburn are based
>>
Pretty sure this guy is running for Governor in Missouri
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.