[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

bilingual/choice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

To everyone here who's capable of reading/writing/speaking/understanding two or more languages: how has this ability affected your development in these fields?

Do you read and comprehend a text equally well in each language, or have you prioritized one over the other?

Do you write in each, or have you decided to develop your language and techniques in one more than the other(s)?

If we assume that this kind of development does have an effect on your ability to understand, comprehend, formulate and express yourself and your ideas, do you think it has had a positive or negative effect at least in relation to monolingual people with the same level of education/exposure/intelligence?
>>
>>8653767
As a follow up question, I'd like to know if any of you have ever contemplated the above situation. Have you ever been conscious or been made conscious of this fact?

Do you care, one way or the other, being from one camp or the other?
>>
>>8653767
I prioritized english (portuguese being my first) because it's global so if I want to get more information I'll need it the most
It has a negative impact on my mother tongue, speaking and writing wise. I can comprehend idioms but I never use them.
People with the same level of education but monolingual have a broader choice on words, idioms and ways to put things simply generally speaking, because when I was watching tv shows or reading in english they were all sucking the information in portuguese. But as I said, there's more information in english so I win in the quality of information.
I've never contemplated this actually. I have a clear example of 2 people I knew before that were like wordsmiths - very fast talkers, making plays on words etc, and now that I thought about it, they were both very bad at english
>>
>>8653767
i speak both english and german, with german being my first language.

i always wonder what language to read books in, usually decide on the language it was written in but if it's written in neither then i'll read the german version because my german is better than my english.

trying to study english more but it's kinda hard since school is way too easy and most books are a bit too hard.
>>
I should come out an say that the way I phrased the question was very autobiographical, because for the past few years I've been very preoccupied with my language skills and my development of either English or Spanish.

>>8653897
I do believe that English is a more global language than Portuguese or even Spanish, at least when it comes to trafficking information or marketability. I spent most of my youth trying to improve my vocabulary, grammar and technical ability in regards to English, but I pulled back when I was 19 and began to work just as hard at my Spanish which I believe is just below my English now (in the terms mentioned above). I've also taken beginner's Portuguese (out of some half-hearted romantic notion of the unity of South America despite its diversity), and while I can boast of any depth I can understand the language I believe a little better than native Spanish speakers.
May I ask where you're from?

>>8654012
The reason I put "choice" as a subject is precisely because of this predicament: not just what language to associate yourself with but also which one to familiarize yourself with. Translations are a mindfuck when you think about not just the author's intentions but the translators' as well and the discrepancy in interpretation and usage and syntax.
>>
I'm monolingual English and never really felt the need to learn another language.

I've tried learning French but I find the rules and pronunciation are pretty annoying... Kinda like the people who speak it. I can read it a little because I have a good grasp on Latinate words in English. Usually a fancy word in English is a common word in French. Ameliorate for example.
>>
I know Latin but since reading anything in it is too bothersome all this means is that I feel honorbound not to read any Romans lest I feel like a cheat for using the translation.
>>
>>8654639
You could write almost all the rules of grammar for French on a couple of A4 pieces of paper. It's grammar is really simple.
>>
>>8653767
English is my second language and I want to make it the dominant one.
I'm very autistic so it had impact on me in some ways. For example I don't think in my mother tongue most of the time. I can also forget words and be like "Wait, what's the translation for "hand" again?"
Sometimes while writing an English word comes to mind and then I realize it's meaning doesn't quite translate into my native language so I change the whole sentence.
But I still think the overall effect's positive. At least for me.
>>
>>8656875
ok druže
>>
>>8656888
Is it Czech? You're pretty close.
>>
>>8653767
Bilingual Italian and english, I basically learned both languages at the same time.

I can usually read and comprehend books in both languages, as I get exposed more or less equally to both in written form.
Whenever I write, which isn't very often, it's usually in English. I think it takes greater effort to use Italian in a satisfactory manner, despite it being my "first" language.

Aside from the occasional selective amnesia, I can't really complain. It certainly helps whenever something technical is explained shittily in one language but much better in the other. Also it generally allows me to make abstract connections more easily, since my understanding of a concept is not strictly related to only one word or sound.

I've been asked these questions since forever so yeah, I've thought about it. I prefer it this way, honestly.
>>
I'm a native English speaker that also speaks German. I started learning the language 9 years ago. Since then I've studied in Germany and began reading all German books in their original form.

I can't justify reading anything other than original German works in German because I believe many of the subtleties of the language are still lost on me. This combined with the lack of German speakers in the area and the limited selection of German films holds me back from learning as much as I'd like.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.