[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you wish you knew before you started reading? What do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: huh.png (28KB, 499x322px) Image search: [Google]
huh.png
28KB, 499x322px
What do you wish you knew before you started reading? What do you think everyone should read and know? I'm concerned that even with the /lit/ recommendations the literature will go over my head. I want to read everything from novels to plays to poetry so I can be familiar with literary culture.

The sticky is mostly outdated so I'm asking you guys; I'm tired of being ignorant, /lit/, I want edification.

What other resources can you point out to me? Would a website like Goodreads be a good idea?
>>
Literally just start with the greeks
>>
>>8653477
What will I get from that?

What next?
>>
>>8653611
kys my man
>>
>>8653611
Greek writing and art is the baseline for the entire western canon. Their writing will act as a framework for everything you will read going forward. Reading the Greeks will help you develop an understanding of basic narrative and writing technique, as well as give you tools to contextualize abstract or complex works down the road. I have never read a piece of literary fiction without at some point being reminded of a Greek work, and then being led to compelling implications based on that inference. Furthermore it is just a ton of fun to read this stuff, get some friends together and read Plato's symposium.
>>
>>8653699
As in grammar, logic, and rhetoric - the trivium?

And then moving onto the quadrivium as in classical/liberal arts education?
>>
>>8653831
Figuratively yes, reading the Greeks could lay the bedrock for your future reading in the way that studying the trivium does for the quadrivium.
>>
Learn how to adapt your mind to other people's and to new concepts. Appreciating and enjoying art is about entering someone else's thoughts and thought processes. Your task as a reader (but also as a listener and a viewer of other art forms) is to understand them and consequently to derive enjoyment from them. If you don't enjoy a work of art, it most likely isn't the artist's fault (if we're talking about some canonical work, of course - you'll find plenty of crap outside of it), it's yours.
That is my mindset atm, at least. I didn't start out with it, but whenever I came across art that I didn't understand - such as classical music, visual arts or literature - I persisted until I did. (Of course, I'm still finding new ways of understanding and looking at art.)
>>
>I'm concerned that ... the literature will go over my head.

What do you mean by that? Like, seriously, I don't get this sentiment.

Just read the books, nigga. It's genuinely not that complicated.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.