[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone suggest reading order of Melville works?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: melville.jpg (132KB, 667x872px) Image search: [Google]
melville.jpg
132KB, 667x872px
Can someone suggest reading order of Melville works?
>>
>>8652715
just
stick
with
the
dick
>>
>>8652715
Most people start with Moby-Dick and then move to Bartleby and Billy-Bud and the Encantadas. I'm working my way through all his works right now, and the only order-related thing I can recommend is reading Pierre and The Confidence-Man after Moby-Dick. If you want, it's also interesting to read up on his life and what he was going through while writing Pierre.

It doesn't really matter, though. You could read them in the order they were published or read whatever sounds interesting.
>>
>>8652715
i read Billy Budd years ago and then read Moby-Dick kore recently.

just read whatever u want bro
>>
>>8652844

I've never really given Melville a proper shake. Is he as good as people say?

I've noticed that critics who love Emerson tend to have a soft-spot for Herman too. Is there an obvious through-line?
>>
File: The_voyage_of_the_Pequod.jpg (2MB, 2962x2145px) Image search: [Google]
The_voyage_of_the_Pequod.jpg
2MB, 2962x2145px
>>8652877
>I've never really given Melville a proper shake. Is he as good as people say?
Yeah. If you read one thing by him, read Moby-Dick. He doesn't top himself. But works like The Confidence-Man, Bartleby, and Pierre are fantastic if you love his prose and humor and want to see an early master experimenting with the form of the novel or diving deep into characters' psychologies.

His poetry isn't half bad either, especially if you like sprawling epic spiritual struggles (Clarel) or the American Civil War (Battle Pieces).

>>8652877
I haven't read enough of Emerson to compare the two.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.