[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this greatest fantasy-trilogy ever written?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (21KB, 311x162px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 311x162px
Is this greatest fantasy-trilogy ever written?
>>
>>8652448
*the
>>
>>8652448
>the subtle knife
>>
>>8652450
the Subtle Knife was fine; it was shorter than the others so its scope was smaller, but it was elegantly told and the angels were well introduced, plus the confrontation with the orphans was well used. Spectres were one heck of an antagonist, too
>>
>>8652450
I'll give you a subtle knife.
>>
>>8652448
No.
>>
>>8652456
The thing I hated about The Subtle Knife was how Lyra became completely dominated by Will. She won't use the magic dust pocket-watch unless he tells her to? That's fucking dumb.

The Lee Scoresby chapters were god tier though. I wish the whole novel was about him and not the kids.
>>
>>8652771
Have you never trusted and wanted to help an authority-figure - or, at least, given authority to a friend or romantic-partner in any situation? When the way you work is as a hierarchy, then you won't remain cohesive if you go second-guessing and undermining your pilot's instructions. Lyra's an aristocrat; she understands that instinctively.
>>
>>8652791
I get that but I don't understand why she would give Will authority over her. She knows so much more than he does, he's just some random kid who fucked up so bad he had to leave his universe. If anything he should be subservient to her.

I get that she loved him but still...
>>
>>8652797
Did it resonate with you as sexist? Recalling that Lyra was able to read-up on Will, using her alethiometer, we know she was able to research and trust him - whereas he was unable to confirm anything about her. The point is - he wasn't psychologically capable of following, whereas Lyra was (she had the strength of character to do so, you might say). Leaving only one way for things to sort.
>>
>>8652822
I don't mean to go full feminist, but yeah, I found it sexist. Especially with how fiery she was in the other two books. She tricked a bear and her own death ffs.

I had never really thought of what you said about her being strong enough to follow, that's a new thought.
>>
>>8652824

Ewww. Feminism is cancer. If you're a dude you're a faggot and you should kill yourself. If you're a female the men in your life failed you. You need a spanking.
>>
>>8652448
No

Last book is just a huge let down.
>>
>>8653878
Nigga I said I'm not a fucking feminist in the first line of my post. Learn to read.
>>
>>8653887
>Iorek just drops out of the story
>Gallivespians just die for no reason
>huge final battle lasts for one page
>romance is just dogshit
>Lyra's betrayal isn't even a betrayal
>Dust reveal makes no sense
>literally no good reason why Lyra and Will needed to be kept apart

How did Pullman manage to do everything wrong?
>>
File: 1422035451459.png (195KB, 393x388px) Image search: [Google]
1422035451459.png
195KB, 393x388px
>>8653878
>starts post with Ewww.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.