[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats wrong with ego death? I was on /co/ the other night(while

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: frustratedman-770x439_c.jpg (36KB, 770x439px) Image search: [Google]
frustratedman-770x439_c.jpg
36KB, 770x439px
Whats wrong with ego death?
I was on /co/ the other night(while not the pinnacle of intelligent discussion) and someone was mocking people who say that ego death for the self is important.
While I disagree I have also never considered that it could be a bad thing.
>>
>>8652247
Ego death is for cucks
>>
>>8652247
Well, to say the least ego death is just cheap mans way to understand what life is.
The means how you get to this is mostly threw psychiatric drugs, which get you to a stage where your brain gets rid of all the walls, lets everything flood threw your brain and incorporates everything together. Closeminded people consider this egodeath, as they are bluntly forced out of their perseption.
The risk involved for non ready participants is very strong psychological trauma, which often can't be undone.
If you can't deviate between yourself and reality and need these drugs, you are weak to some extent. Then after using them and belittling others of your so much superior thoughts, is hypocritical.
Alltogether i would say these things are not ready to be used. Though i do advocate the thought of more experiments, which can help finding cures psychotic diseases by breaking their structures, as current studys dictate.
>>
Ego death is bad because you're abdicating personal will. It's becoming an animal while still being human.
It's a valuable experience. They used to perform lobotomies to improve quality of life for he severely mentally ill and it was quite popular. Revert them to a childlike state forever.

If I put it like, 'you become a child again' does that sound positive to you? Everything you learned is useless and gone. You return to the garden of eden of childhood, but at a heavy cost.

Some will choose that willingly, some will not. That's a very personal choice.
>>
>>8652419
>as current studies dictate
Care to show? I have heard of said studies, but never found anything serious, but mostly new age crap about chakras and shit.
>>
>>8652460
>That illiterate pleb has access to academic articles
>>
when you guys say how its bad, could you give a quick definition of what exactly you are referring to
>>
>ego death for the good of the self

Think about it, OP
>>
>>8652466
what do you want defined specifically?
>>
not sure why it matters if you'll be back to normal in a day
>>
>>8652247

One time my brain was full of worm-demons and they made a cacophony of sneering laughter.

That was darker part of my life.
>>
>>8652479
ego death. ive just seen it used pretty equivocally outside here
>>
>>8652505
>equivocally
I don't see how you got that impression. Ego death just means that your consciousness is gone and you're awake. You experience it slightly in dreams, where you are semi-conscious yet not actively thinking.

The full experience tends to be linked to psychedelic mushroom use. People who take those tend to not be afraid of death after one experience.
>>
>>8652460
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/apr/11/lsd-impact-brain-revealed-groundbreaking-images
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/04/health/lsd-reconsidered-for-therapy.html?_r=0
The problem is, that there are nearly no doctors who want to get affiliated with LSD, nor do the companys who conduct the studys. Because of this barrier, and the legal one, which is quite extential, there is far to little progress in these parts.
>>
>>8652523
There's people doing studies. It's not entirely under the radar. You just won't see it picked up in the mainstream for about 10-20 years when some big medical guy sees it as the next big thing.
Right now there's too much shit in the pipe to try to pass this sort of thing through. Marijuana itself is still a very big issue around the world because of the U.S drug policies that they spread, even though so many states now barely punish it the feds still want a stranglehold on it.
Once that goes through its just a matter of time.
Podcasts are the primary source of spreading this kind of thing, it's how I heard about it and was convinced of the benefits. One to one conversations are always the best way to spread ideas and that's some podcasts.
>>
>>8652518
ive done every major sort of psychedelic except ibogaine and im still afraid of death
>>
>>8652592
guess you're the exception, pal
Do not go calmly into that dark night.
>>
>>8652598
its hard to say i always have been. some of those things, like ayahuasca, are very powerful - but your changes in perception arent permanent, at least not for anyone i know - if you go back to living a normal life everything else gradually goes back to normal too.

people in this thread are right though - there are strong ties between what the people interested in eastern religions and interested in spiritual psychedelic use are LOOKING FOR. nearly every tourist in iquitos has spent time at an ashram in india, and almost all of them are looking to lose who they are; forget some past trauma. my friends and i were just curious, so maybe the results were a bit different.
>>
>>8652698
Well, yeah of course you'll return to normal. You brain develops physical crevices over time the more you think a thought, the more connections in the neurons are made, the stronger the thoughts get.
Since the subconscious is thinking at a much faster rate than the conscious can all the time, it's building connections without your notice. Which is why things like hypnosis have the best chance of changing your early childhood beliefs because it uses your subconscious against itself.
Drugs are nice, but they don't put off hard work. The experience alone is still plenty valuable.
>>
Forgive me for posting this but he does mention some important points about the ego

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHgkH2I1THI
>>
>>8652717
I wanted to turn that video off about six times before I skipped ahead but he has a lot of good points.
Nothing I haven't heard before though. If you don't know about psychedelics and their effect on a person this would be a good start.
>the goal of life is the journey through life
I wonder how many in this thread or 4chan get that?
>>
>>8652714
yeah, completely agree except for the subconscious stuff
>>
There are important sensory insights one can gain through drugs, including through the experience of ego death, but on the other hand all of these insights can still be reached through contemplation.

Ego death is the experience of existing without the sense of a barrier delineating your "self" from the rest of the universe, producing a sense of unity in which your sense of self has dissolved into your other senses - and vice versa.

Of course it is possible to realize this insight without drugs quite easily, but then it would require years of study. This just means most people can't meaningfully comprehend the experiences they have while tripping, about as well as they comprehend sober experience - that is, not very. Either way, tripping or sober, contemplation is necessary to self-realization.
>>
File: 1476924383632.png (186KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
1476924383632.png
186KB, 500x336px
>he needs drugs to bring about change and understanding in his life
>justifying your degeneracy just because you're too weak/stupid to find enlightenment through knowledge

also, not literature related
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.