[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General opinion on this guy/announcement he made ealier today?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: bookamn.png (488KB, 800x479px) Image search: [Google]
bookamn.png
488KB, 800x479px
General opinion on this guy/announcement he made ealier today?
>>
>>8652152
Bookchemist is way less pretentious, I had to unsubscribe this guy after his third "sex and death *sips wine*" episode)
>>
I sometimes doubt that his name is actually "Cliff Sergeant"
>>
File: original.gif (75KB, 376x362px) Image search: [Google]
original.gif
75KB, 376x362px
When I was born that man was there,
Tall and strong and fair of hair.
He watched my mother give me birth,
As I fought my way onto this Earth.

That man would rock me off to sleep,
Would wipe my tears when I did weep.
He watched me go from crawl to walk,
And smiled with pride when I learned to talk.

That man taught me to ride a bike,
And even how to fly a kite.
He taught me to know wrong from right,
When to run and when to fight.

That man was made of many parts
A teacher of lifes skills and arts
Full of love and full of care
With much to give, and much to share.

As I grew older so did he,
But that man was always there for me
His love, unspoken ,but strong and clear,
Of that I have no doubt or fear.

Time passed, that man grew old and frail,
No longer strong, but weak and pale.
Now I helped him, as he'd helped me
A debt to repay, no charge, no fee.

And now that man has left this life,
No longer parted from his wife
Memories are all that we have left
Of that man who was the best.

Who was that man, you may well ask?
To tell you now is my last task.
It makes me proud, it makes me glad,
To tell you that man, he was my dad.
My father died recently and I could not find a suitable poem to read for him
at his cremation that reflected what I wanted to say, so I wrote my own.
>>
>>8652152
I only watch him because he's the only person I can find who talks about some of my favorite books. The guy is so uneducated though, from what I can tell the only theory he's read is Bataille. His 'reviews' have literally no substance to them. Opened his 45 minute Perec review, excited because I love Perec, to be met with him just reading a Perec chapter with edgy footage in Paris and faux-profound statement beginning the video. If he at least discussed some of the textual devices/events of the books it would be nice, but he literally never does, just rambles about how the book made him feel and regurgitating the general consensus while acting edgy as fuck
>>
he really needs to learn to edit down his reviews
>>
>i only review books i like :)))

dropped
>>
Noise to signal ratio is off the charts with this guy.

It's like listening to a human.
>>
>>8652857
Really good, you should try it.
>>
I like him because he sort of adds a story to the books.

I really like the reviews where he includes his travel experiences and other interesting history/facts relating to the book or author.
>>
>>8652152
I thought the announcement was a pretty transparent case of YT greed, but his viewership seemed to lap it up with relish.

It's noteworthy that Cliff has mentioned Anthony Fantano as an inspiration, because all his reviews come off as poor attempts at aping Anthony's style. Half the time he seems more interested in musical anecdotes than the books themselves.

I also can't stand all the LA/Hollywood culture books he reviews. And he won't shut up about the latest rave he went to or celebrity he saw at a party. Maybe I'm a jealous nerd? The guy is easy to hate and easy to envy is my bottom line, I guess.
>>
>>8652192
what
>>
>>8652940
I mean I wish I could get that youtube money for saying stuff about books I may or may not have read
>>
>>8652970
You probably could if you were persistent, but keep in mind it took Cliff a few years to get to that point.
>>
File: 1454167992097.png (195KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1454167992097.png
195KB, 480x480px
whats hes favorite anime tv show?
>>
>>8652813
Land is that you?
>>
>>8652966
It's a poem he wrote
>>
>>8653017
it's horrible
>>
>>8652152
he looks like george mcfly
>>
>>8653030
Come on now. He wrote it about his dead dad. There's a time and a place for postmodern masterpieces, and it isn't at a funeral.
>>
He's a handsome guy who records himself reading aloud Wikipedia articles of the Western Canon.
>>
>>8652940
>The guy is easy to hate and easy to envy is my bottom line

Well said anon

>>8653172
This too
>>
>>8652152
Whats the announcement? I don't want to waste data watching this mong.
>>
>>8653140
If someone read that at my funeral I'd haunt them so hard
>>
>>8653298
I don't think you have to worry about ever having a son who loves you, anon.
>>
>>8653307
Hopefully not but I taste a lot of projection salt in your words anon
>>
>>8653351
No, I just thought it was a good comeback. I don't want kids personally.
>>
I only watched his review on The recognitions which I have to say was cringe festival given the fact that he only talks rather superficially about the book I mean, it's quite obvious he did not even read it. He spents this while flexing with it and reads the largest quote he must have found online -yeah the one that goes by God you despise Christmas and whatnot- in such a lousy editing (lemme read this sentence/cut/lemme sip some wine/cut/how does it go next oh right/lemme read this sentence/cut). It was fun I guess, in a very shallow and simplistic way I couldn't continue to follow or subscribe or bear watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibUOu0qBEP8
>>
>>8653351
As well I wasnt the doo you were originally talking too but that poem is cringe as shit regardless of whether his dad popped his clogs or not
>>
>>8653378
Probably should of replied to your other comment with^ but think Cliff made be good at enjoying good books but I doubt he'd write anything good himself
>>
>>8653397
May be good^*
>>
Stupid, obsessed with being intelligent, coordinates his image to sleep with women who want to feel sophisticated, likely antisocial personality disorder, will probably resort to theft after parents die and youtube revenues wane, preens himself on his literary lifestyle, wants to be a 4chan personality, may have made this thread, will probably die by suicide because it would make him look interesting
>>
>>8652152
Textbook example of style over substance.
>>
>>8653397
Yeah, I'll agree with that. He directed (and obviously wrote) a short film on his vimeo channel that was pretty bad. It reeked of a writer straining for effect.
>>
>>8652192
This is awefully awful.
>>
>>8653416
I always stop watching after a minute or two generally I feel as though a lot of people are fake but I feel as though he's playing a character almost in how fake it feels. Don't think he's necessarily a pseud but as you said what he has done is just try hard shit
>>
>>8653385
that unread copy tho
>>
>>8653439
He comes across as very self-conscious to me. He strikes me as the kind of guy who's never at ease being himself. But then, you could say that about most people. The only thing that makes him different is that he's annoyingly front and center.

There's always this morbid temptation to watch one of his videos, and every time I wind up bored/disappointed.
>>
>>8653277
he meak peom for his ded dada and red it on youtub
>>
>>8653468
I feel the exact same I think it's someone reviewing something other than YA and than I remember it's cliff and it's 20 minutes of rambling about shit and not just reviewing the fucking thing
>>
>>8653492
I guess at the very least you could say he's bringing some decent books to the attention of people who might not otherwise have discovered them. But even then, I get the impression most of his viewership are lib arts girls who want to feel like books and writing are sexy.

But let's not forget, he also serves as an indispensable resource for struggling writers. For a nominal fee of a few hundred dollars, you could send your manuscript to a literal stranger who may or may not make a YT video about it sometime.
>>
>>8653010
I'm curious about this too. I want to hug Nicholas Land and make him see there are better things than forgiveness.
>>
>>8653532
"You should be especially wary of agents who promise to read your work for a fee. A few such agents are reputable ... but all too many are unscrupulous fucks. I'd suggest that if you're that anxious to get published, you skip agent-hunting or query-letters to publishers and go directly to a vanity press. There you will at least get a semblance of your money's worth."
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.