[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do I start with?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: Sigmund_Freud_LIFE.jpg (876KB, 1066x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Sigmund_Freud_LIFE.jpg
876KB, 1066x1500px
What do I start with?
>>
>>8650893
checking the archive!!!!!!
>>
The Interpretation of Dreams.
>>
>>8650893
avoid pseudoscience
>>
freud
>>
Why's he holding that pen for?
>>
>>8650912
shhh, nerd.
>>
>>8650923
It's a cigar, they were like the vapes of the 19th century. I shit you not, people used to breathe in burning leaves as a hobby.
>>
>>8650893
Intro to psychoanalysis then the new intro
>>
The Greeks tbqhfam.
>>
>>>/wsr/
>>>/google/
>>>/his/
>>
>>8650893
Your MOM.
>>
It's good to first get acquainted with the history of psychanalysis, the context of his time. Then Interpretation of Dreams.
>>
>>8651089
>the context of his time

I'm assuming this would include some material about WW1?
>>
>>8650912
is everything that is not science pseudoscience now?
>>
>>8650893
>What do I start with?

with a leatherbound hardcopy of his major works for $6.99

https://www.amazon.com/Major-Works-Sigmund-Freud-Western/dp/B003X68REO
>>
>>8651370
lol do NOT waste yr precious cash on this

only buy Standard Edition, they are typically blue and white. this way you can buy each work as a standalone (as opposed to getting some jackoff editor's collection of what he deems the 'major works'. spoiler: they are all major)
>>
>>8651224
Using "psuedo" as an insult is ironically a psuedo-intellectual insult
>>
don't box yourself in... all the best creative works I've seen this century have come from people who were totally ignorant of this guy
>>
>>8651460
Well, maybe not Eva. But that's a special case.
>>
Has anyone read, "Psychopathology of Everyday Life?"

Is it any good?
>>
>>8651224

Every thing that is not science, but pretends to be science is pseudoscience. If OP is legitimately interested in psychology, he should check the curriculum of psychology bachelor programs.
>>
>>8651195
Could be, but I was talking about how was the diagnosis and treatment and overall concept of what it meant to have mental problems in the 19th century. Freud was the first to ever listen to what their patients were saying, also one of the first to talk about it from a social perspective, more than blindly just thinking some people are in the wrong. His context is: Darwin, industrial revolution, "traditional" family values of Europe of that time, decline of religion, more access to the other cultures due to colonization, modern art, and so on.

>>8650912
>>8651224
>>8652817
I think it's not far off to call Freud a pseudo-scientist. He was a scientist and a doctor at first and he clearly had scientific intentions throughout his whole life. But of course, it's interesting to see how his studies and meetings with his patients made him develop a whole new field that is more inclined towards linguistics than to the natural sciences. His failure as a scientist is one of the reasons he is such an important figure. Without that failure, psychanalysis could never have sprouted, because it derives precisely on this ever failure of pinpointing desire, of explaining in words what we feel, on expecting this or that from our relationships. Psychology is a broader range of things pertaining to our mind, neurology address it from a material and scientific point of view, whereas psychanalysis takes the position of studying relationships between people and how that affects our relationships with ourselves. Its tools being the words and images we produce, and its place to act is amongst people, that is, inserted in society, present in a conversation and therefore involved in its problems. It is therefore, not scientific, nor it is pseudo-scientific, it's not about objects in a dissection table, but a practice, a technique to come in terms with ourselves, with the understanding that to observe and to change come together.
>>
Are there any notable books that critique modern mental health services? I'm interested in the theory that modern therapy is awful and want to read up on it. I worked in a psyciatric institution once and thought it was hell on earth
>>
>>8653232
I'm interested in this. Not /x/ level shit just alternative views.
>>
>>8652781
Is really good.

I think is the best book to grasp the idea of what the Unconscious mind is .
>>
>>8653232
>>8653243
idk.
Just this
https://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2014/sep/25/lonely-potato-syndrome-mental-disorder-psychological-condition
>>
>>8653232
Search for the physician Gabor Maté.
>>
>>8653232
Psychanalysis itself lends the greatest critique of modern therapy. The lacanian line deviates significantly from the classification, pathologization and medication present in a lot of therapies available today.
>>
>>8653359
>>8653374
Thanks. I'v read very little besides Freud, Jung, Skinner and Eriksson
>>
>>8653232
thelastpsychiatrist.com
>>
>>8650893
Fuck your mom.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.