[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any books to get me out of depression?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: poor-homer_o_185468.jpg (153KB, 391x585px) Image search: [Google]
poor-homer_o_185468.jpg
153KB, 391x585px
Any books to get me out of depression?
>>
Feeling Good - David Burns
>>
>>8649785
Tolstoy my man
Based Tolstoy works every time
>>
There is no book in the world that will cure my small penis.
>>
>>8649817
Have you read all of them?
>>
Meditations -- Marcus Aurelius. Seriously, this cheers me up in the best way and helps me focus.
>>
>>8649817

Of course no book can cure a small dick, but a good book can help you focus on shit besides you crotch. This will help you find better reasons live than 4chan ever will could.
>>
Jack Kerouac, my man
On the road, Dharma Bums
>>
>>8649785
no. books will only further your depression. go take a walk in the woods. climb a mountain or something.
>>
>>8649835
I guess so, but when I go outside to work &c, I feel like an eunuch having to look at beautiful women everywhere. It's a terrible feeling.

Anyway, I'm not saying your advice is bad, I already focus all my free time on reading. This 'lack', this void that we feel at core of our being that sometimes leads to depression, is something unavoidable, it's inherent in your self-consciousness and it propels us towards motion and activity. Bad with it, worse without it.
>>
>>8649817
>>8649850
You need Schopenhauer.
>>
I am a strong believer that all people with depression already know every step for the cure.

But read Der Einzige und sein Eigentum for the memes.
>>
>>8649878
Thanks for the suggestion, but no. I prefer more systematic philosophy, Plato, Hegel, &c.
>>
>>8649850

I know your feels,bro. I've got a little one too. Go to /trv/ find someplace new to go to and get a little lost. Talk to people you'll find that not everyone is shallow as fuck.
>>
>>8649888
>schopenhauer
>not systematic
confirmed for not having read Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung
>>
File: wtf.png (49KB, 316x278px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
49KB, 316x278px
>>8649896
Anyway, I'm still in the Greeks.
>>
>>
>>8649805
>>8649931
>self-help scams

"no"
>>
>>8649910
Good approach lad, but don't overlook Schoppy because he's highly quotable and wrote popular essays. He has a system, it's just not often remarked upon by memers.
>>
What is the literary equivalent of The Big Lebowski?
I watch it whenever I feel like shit and it always works.
>>
>>8649846
this t b h.
depression is fundamentally a lack of energy from a lack of doing shit. if you look at anyone depressed ever, they generally don't do a lot in terms of physical or mental exertion. so do shit.
in addition, chances are you don't have many good relationships, you don't get out much and you don't get laid.

look to fix these basic things before anything else.
>>
>>8649949

Manga
>>
any developmental trauma?... read Pete Walker's book on Complex PTSD
>>
File: download (1).jpg (51KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
51KB, 333x500px
>>8649785
This is not traditional /lit/, but it helped reframe how I viewed depression and was kind of inspiring to see how a great man dealt with it.

Disclaimer:
Having been depressed and in treatment, I agree with >>8649846 and >>8649958. Depression changes how you view the world, and in that state a hopeful book is unlikely to be convincing. I read plenty of great things trying to dig myself out, but because I was stuck inside my own head it all sounded like bullshit until I got some professional help.
>>
The hitchhicker's guide to the galaxy
>>
>>8649815
This
>>
Will Lolita get me out of depression, /lit/? I saw it at Barnes and Noble and it looks interesting. Apparently a man is into a young girl it's a love story.
>>
>>8650054
>lincoln
>not an evil tyrant

Proof that depressed people should just kill themselves
>>
>>8650274
>>8650274
no, you will hate it.
>>
File: King-James-Version.jpg (15KB, 200x297px) Image search: [Google]
King-James-Version.jpg
15KB, 200x297px
How has nobody mentioned this? This is what you need OP. Not even memeing.
>>
>>8650802
that's not a Quohran you Trumpet
>>
>>8650807
That's an absurd claim. I'm a human being damn it.
>>
>>8650802
No other book has probably caused as much mental illness. Not even memeing either. Going to church is a better course of action than reading.
>>
>>8650821
That depends on the church. Most denominational churches only worry about teaching you to be a better Protestant, Catholic, Baptist, or what-have-you, based on their own self-written guidelines.
Rarely do you find a church that is concerned with teaching the Bible, rather than ex post facto doctrines.
>>
Find out why you're depressed instead of trying to escape into some book, because once the book is finished you still gonna you sadness.
>>
>>8649878
>tfw there was a thread yesterday where an anon's brother who comitted suicide was halfway through Schopenhaur
>see this post
>>
What kind of book you like?
>>
>>8650785
WHY?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.