[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw rejected for publication again

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

File: uliilia.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
uliilia.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>tfw rejected for publication again
>>
It's okay, you just have no talent. Join us 7 billion
>>
>>8648770
I have literary talent though.
>>
File: touchoftism.jpg (99KB, 703x516px) Image search: [Google]
touchoftism.jpg
99KB, 703x516px
>>8648877
>>
>>8648762
be a success at self publishing, then they will come to you, and you will be like fuck off, you rejected me. it would be the sweetest kind of revenge.
>>
>>8648877
Prove it.
>>
File: 1477031467059.gif (2MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1477031467059.gif
2MB, 400x400px
>someone like John Green can get published
>you can't
>>
>>8648886
Shall I post a poem I wrote?
>>
>>8648913
Do it. You motherfucker.
>>
>>8648919
It sheds a shy solemnity,
This lamp in our poor room.
O grey and gold amenity --
Silence and gentle gloom!
Wide from the world, a stolen hour
We claim, and none may know
How love blooms like a tardy flower
Here in the day's after-glow.
And even should the world break in
With jealous threat and guile,
The world, at last, must bow and win
Our pity and a smile.
>>
>>8648937
Garbage. Just one cliche after another.
>>
>>8648937

Not bad.
>>
>>8649051
Pleb.
>>8649052
Exactly.
>>
>>8648937
You have a decent grasp of poetic structure but assuming you actually wrote this and didn't crib it from somewhere, your ideas are banal. This is the kind of thing people have been writing for hundreds of years.
>>
>>8649090
>2016
>people just assume someone wrote something without googling it
>>
>>8648937
It's not badly written. But it's bland. Clinical and sterile. There's no passion. It's like you were given a homework assignment to write a poem.
>>
>tfw moderately successful YA author
>Can't get anything with literary worth published and have to churn out garbage for teens
>Can't self publish for contractual reasons
>If I ever manage to publish the works I care about I will be dismissed due to having written a bunch of YA trash
>>
>>8648937
You're alright.

Stay away from the Gulf of Mexico tho.
>>
>>8649111
Your in the hell that I want to be in.
>>
>>8649111
yours is the power to bring up morality in the next generation of children
>>
>>8649111
Good to see you recognise your work as trash, Mr. John Green.
>>
>>8649132

John Green is fucking rolling in dosh m8, I wish I could be as hacky and successful as that guy.
>>
File: dontforget.jpg (473KB, 1360x1020px) Image search: [Google]
dontforget.jpg
473KB, 1360x1020px
>>8648762
don't worry, so was i. so were we all. i've been published a few times in small magazines, but i'm starting to think making it into the big boys (strange horizons, analog, mcsweeney's) is just a meme unless you have connections.
>>
>tfw I am a published author
I am sure /lit/ would hate my books, they are all genre fiction.
>>
>>8649257
what genre(s)?
>>
>>8649051
It's Hart Crane fag
>>
>>8649111
Can't you sneak some decent stuff into the YA?
>>
>>8648762
Is there someone who actually bothers to read all the shit people send to editorials?
I can't begin to imagine how much trash one must read in a job like that.
>>
>>8648937
Thoreau-tier inanity.
>>
>>8649104
I googled the first line and didn't find anything, I wasn't going to put more effort into it than that. Besides, you're retarded if you think everything shows up on google.
>>
>>8650111
http://www.poemhunter.com/best-poems/harold-hart-crane/interior-3/
How did you not find it, honestly?
>>
>>8648762

>"C-creative writing classes are just a w-waste of money"
>"I can get p-published all on my own without help from anybody because I'm just that talented"
>"W-well, the publishers just don't get it, the industry is rigged"

DFW got a masters in creative writing. Pynchon also got an English degree. Stop pretending that "only genre fiction/YA gets published." In college, you are literally paying money for people to tell you how to publish the things you want to get published.
>>
Lol I'm a published poet and you're all a bunch of faggots
>>
>publishing in the first place
Fucking sellouts.
>>
>>8650135
It is rigged. DFW and Pynchon only got published because they had connections in the literary establishment.
>>
>>8649090
>>8650111
now apologize for being a faggot who thinks he knows shit and calling a hart crane poem shit
>>
>>8650150
>he thinks university isn't about networking
lmao
>>
>>8650161
Nothing I said about it changes at all as it's still very banal for any era and attaching a famous name to it doesn't make it any less banal. You didn't even "get" me because I acknowledged that it could've been ripped off from somewhere.
>>
>>8650444
It's okay, anon. You just have shit taste and a superiority complex. You're accepted here.
>>
It's all about connections. Especially for screenwriting.
>>
>>8650472
>screenwriting

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/jessica-jones-women-directors-season-two-melissa-rosenberg-1201897203/

>“When I interview a writer, I’m less interested in what you’ve been doing professionally than I am in where you’re from, what your parents do, what’s your life experience, what are you bringing to the table personally?” Rosenberg said. “I don’t want a bunch of people who look and sound [like me] and have the experiences I have.”
>"...I'M LESS INTERESTED IN WHAT YOU'VE BEEN DOING PROFESSIONALLY THAN I AM IN WHERE YOU'RE FROM..."

>Rosenberg, who also penned the “Twilight” movies, in addition to her experience writing for other TV and film franchises, told her audience that persistence was one of the key attributes that aspiring creatives should bring to Hollywood, whatever their background, gender, or culture.
>WHO ALSO PENNED THE TWILIGHT MOVIES

>“I think the only reason I’m sitting here is because of tenacity. It’s a tough business. You really have to be able to take a hit,” noted Rosenberg. “I’ve gotten fired so many times, I can’t even count now.”
>"I'VE GOTTEN FIRED SO MANY TIMES, I CAN'T EVEN COUNT NOW."

Screenwriting is exclusively for the worst kinds of self-admitted hacks.
>>
>>8650135
Lel my older sister has BA culinary arts and an MA in human resources, literally reads Harry Potter, Twilight, and shit like John Green, and to my knowledge has never taken any higher level English classes and she is a published poet.

I think what is perhaps most important is finding the right publication for your work. Academic journals are probably the hardest, and DIY punk/hipster journals and fanzines are probably the easiest. I'm sure if you just spend a lot off time studying Dadaist poetry and Circle Takes the Square lyrics and just mimic that style without being too obviously unoriginal, you could get published in like any underground/DIY literary publication.

>This portrait of karma, crafted in accident
text book seduction, minus the text in the language of ghosts
and so we ran, like the wolves were biting,
the inhibitions of their prey kept them from screaming
"scratch my back and I will stab you in yours"
so I chose to live this life alone, without the teeth marks
but I predict, I'll have to sink my fangs in someone else's heart to heal my own.
just a victim's split, one part for the wolves, one part for you.
but I'll grow weary soon, weary of this fractal code,
weary of this hallway lined with ghosts.

Just mimic shit like this. Be as generic as possible.
>>
File: 5968872.jpg (25KB, 300x300px)
5968872.jpg
25KB, 300x300px
>tfw published three short stories in the last year
>tfw ecstasy about finally being a published author has given way to worry that this is the best I'll ever get

Success is like an opiate, once you get a little, you want more.
>>
>tfw probably won't be able to get anime analysis published
>>
>>8650135
>Pynchon also got an English degree
Including creative writing? 'English degree' normally means studying lit, not teaching you to write it.
>>
>>8648937
I actually quite liked this. And I really, really didn't want to.
>>
>>8650161
It's pretty shit and bland, only because it's written by some famous guy does not mean my opinion of it will change.
>>
>>8650503
Yep that is the case, but take solace that these people having writing careers are not doing fulfilling or interesting work. Wanting power and fame is their only goal.
>>
>>8650503
((Rosenberg)) beeds to know where your from and if your family is (())
>>
>>8649257
>genre fiction
The only one that counts.
>>
>>8648937
Christ, your meter is fucking awkward as hell. Try saying your shit out loud sometime.
>>
>>8650634
He mentions taking a writing class in the intro to Slow Learner. Though if those early stories are anything to go by, the classes hurt more than they helped and he had to learn through trial and error outside of them.
>>
File: lit.jpg (26KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
lit.jpg
26KB, 600x750px
>hmm yes shallow and pedantic
>it's actually by an incredible poet who shat out better things than anyone on this board will ever create
>i-it doesn't c-change anything...

lmao, next time don't post if you have no idea what you're talking about kiddos, unless you want to thoroughly embarrass yourselves again

>>8650732

it keeps on giving
>>
>>8650790
>Is initially told that it's more than likely he just stole his shit from someone else
>i-i trol u

Kill yourself my man.
>>
File: 1405294966775.png (58KB, 398x399px) Image search: [Google]
1405294966775.png
58KB, 398x399px
>Changing your opinion because someone is famous
Literal sheep
>>
>>8649090
>>8650444
that faggot who just learned a new word and can't stop using it
>>
>>8650735
I generally think that creative writing classes are a terrible way to learn to be a writer, to say nothing of a fucking MFA. Most great writers seem to have learned by reading other great writers and picking/stealing from them, until they sort of organically developed their own style as a result.
>>
>>8650900
That faggot who has nothing to say and makes inane comments about word choices in a futile attempt to distract others from his vapidity.
>>
File: Pl4cMJd.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Pl4cMJd.gif
2MB, 640x360px
>>8650900
KEEEEEK
>>
>>8650900
BANAL
A
N
A
L
>>
>>8650983
case in point
>>
File: Smug.jpg (99KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Smug.jpg
99KB, 600x800px
>>8650900
that's pretty banal to be honest
>>
>>8652106
yeah lad lets all just fucken use short words for wee cockwombles like you who can't understand them and take offense when you read them

sorry do you know what 'understand' means or is it too advanced?
>>
>>8648937
Stolen from Harold Hart Crane
>>
(-_-)

>tfw I got another acceptance today
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.