[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is Arda just pre-historic times?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

So is Arda just pre-historic times?
>>
>>8648347
I know the elves left but what happened to hobbits? Did the industrial revolution drive them extinct?
>>
That's a reductive phrasing but Tolkien did intend for his mythos to serve as an artificial mythological history of europe.
>>
>>8648387
What if historians are wrong and Tolkien was right?
>>
File: b6c7f3127f6a38a26ae0582cd3a51ce9.jpg (825KB, 880x1210px) Image search: [Google]
b6c7f3127f6a38a26ae0582cd3a51ce9.jpg
825KB, 880x1210px
>>8648385
hobbits were picts, silly

you know, the poet said about them and their fate:

>From the bonny bells of heather
> They brewed a drink long-syne,
>Was sweeter far then honey,
> Was stronger far than wine.
>They brewed it and they drank it,
> And lay in a blessed swound
>For days and days together
> In their dwellings underground.

>There rose a king in Scotland,
> A fell man to his foes,
>He smote the Picts in battle,
> He hunted them like roes.
>Over miles of the red mountain
> He hunted as they fled,
>And strewed the dwarfish bodies
> Of the dying and the dead.
>>
>>8648385

The prologue of the Lord of the Rings under the section Concerning Hobbits, the Hobbits are still with us today, but "now they avoid us with dismay and are becoming hard to find."

But also there's how Merry and Pippers get big from their adventure so maybe some of them get big too? There also aren't that many hobbits and with the resoration fo the Kingdom of Arnor in the fourth age the shire gonna get all surrounded by big folk so probably the hobbits shortness genes get bred out.
>>
No, he is an above average attacking midfielders that is simply out of his depth when competing with the rest of the barcelona players.
>>
>>8648398
Holy shit, this makes more sense than I want it to.
>>
>>8648411
It's really nothing profound. Tolkien based hobbits on simple folk from the English country side. Obviously they're gonna resemble picts.
>>
>>8648406
Also how Sam's daughter looked more like an elf than a hobbit. Pretty likely that they simply interbred with others.
>>
>>8648424
I wanna stop you right there. Tolkien says lots of people look more like elves than whatever race they actually are. It just means they're beautiful. Sams daughter isn't bred up with Elf dna.
>>
>>8648418
yeah, stevenson and tolkien played on the same legends
>>
>>8648432
No I never implied that Sam cucked an elf, god no. I meant that hobbits grew to resemble other races more and interbred with humans as a result.
>>
>>8648438
Right. The narrator implies what you're saying at the end of the 1977 Hobbit cartoon as well. For whatever that's worth.
>>
>>8648438
iirc tolkien wrote that hobbits were a race of humans therefore their fate is pretty obvious, they were either dissolved by interbreeding or partially dissolved and partially "hunted as they fled"

far more interesting what happened with dwarves, i doubt they could breed with humans...
>>
>>8648458
Didn't he write that they went deep into the ground never to be seen again?
>>
>>8648463
Yes. Also some stuff that later came out in the histories of middle earth is that they don't bone enough to keep their numbers up.
>>
>>8648451
>1977 Hobbit cartoon

Muh nigga. That was surprisingly good.
>>
>>8648486
The songs in that one are the best. Tolkien adaptations always forget the songs.
>>
>>8648499
The Return of the King cartoon also had great songs. Bakshi's version was worthless though.
>>
i wonder what the dwarves ate (eat?)

i mean... we eventually eat the sunlight and if there is no sunlight there is nothing to eat

not like you can grow a field of mushrooms underground unless you have organic matter to feed to those mushrooms and you don't have that organic matter in the sufficient quality unless you have a way to get it from the inorganic i.e. unless you have plants/photosynthetic bacteria and an access to sunlight

they can have an ecosystem based on chemosynthesis though (bacterias that create organics by the power of chemical reactions instead of sunlight), but to the day such stuff afaik is only found on the bottom of oceans
>>
>>8648508
Magic and stuff
>>
>>8648347
>Arda

He literally changed E in Erde to another vowel. Top creative, lads.
>>
>>8648508
That's pretty interesting. They did go outside and I always assumed they bought most of their food from other races. But since they were the first race created by the Valar, what did they do before that?

Maybe Aule created some kind of magic underground plants and animals for them?
>>
>>8648508

>i wonder what the dwarves ate (eat?)

ass
>>
>>8649084

This made me laugh more than it should have.
>>
>>8649076
i just got an idea
plants need light but it can be other light, not necessary sunlight

if dwarves went deep and couldn't use some kind of light shafts (haven't moria had those? i don't recall) and the stuff any more, they still could breed some varieties of plants that would give a decent harvest being grown with, say, the light of burning coal or something; their scientific and technical level wasn't likely frozen too, so they could learn to make incandescent, fluorescent and led lamps as years passed
>>
>>8649107
They probably just go outside. Their mountain homes are more like big fortresses. We know they cut down trees to fuel their forges. The ones in the hobbit seemed experienced at hunting and were looking forward to eating that tasty deer.

You're kinda doing the dwarfaboo thing assuming that because they live in mountains and dig for treasure they must never leave the mountains.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.