[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stoner Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: John-Williams-Stoner.jpg (171KB, 400x650px) Image search: [Google]
John-Williams-Stoner.jpg
171KB, 400x650px
I haven't frequented /lit/ in a while, sorry if this is a daily thread that's made.

I enjoyed the book and it's simple prose. When John did use stronger prose, it was more noticeable and made for stronger moments.

Do you think Stoner had a good life? What was the saddest part of the book for you? Personally the realization that Grace had become a drunk got me.
>>
File: 1476498339319.jpg (19KB, 250x247px) Image search: [Google]
1476498339319.jpg
19KB, 250x247px
>>8648328

OP tell me about this book and why In should read it. Everyone seems to love it.

Isn't this book basically middle class, heterosexual, male problems?

If so sign me up.
>>
>>8649576
>Isn't this book basically middle class, heterosexual, male problems?

Basically. It's about an average dude with simple tastes who gets fucked over by everyone.
>>
DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
File: 1475166456105.jpg (489KB, 2000x1859px) Image search: [Google]
1475166456105.jpg
489KB, 2000x1859px
>>8648328
>the realization that Grace had become a drunk got me.

That destroyed me.
>>
>>8649628

Sounds like me.
>>
>>8649576
Its very well written with a lot of good character. If you're interested in literature and the pursue of knowledge for its own sake than it would really appeal to you.
>>
>In the winter of 1963, Williams sent the first completed draft of the novel to Viking Press for appraisal. His editor, the highly respected wunderkind Shawn Parker, wrote back to the author that it was an outstanding piece of work but that he had one change to request. In the first draft, Williams had titled the novel The Stoner. "Take out the 'The,'" Parker wrote. "It's cleaner."
>>
>babby's first literature
>I liked the prose
>The prose was simple, and then sometimes it was not simple
>let's talk about feelings

This might be one of the plebbiest threads I've ever seen. Why do you guys pretend you understand anything about literature at all?
>>
>>8649729
fuck off, will you? I've always hated people who think they are clever but have nothing to say

t. other
>>
File: 1365466828142.jpg (11KB, 300x290px) Image search: [Google]
1365466828142.jpg
11KB, 300x290px
>>8648328
>>8649659

fucking hell. that part blew everything else in the novel out of the water, only the end of the affair get close to this level of sadness
>>
>>8649729
If you don't like that angle, would you mind suggesting one?
>>
when Edith kissed Lomax on the lips in a way she never kissed The Stoner
>>
High point of the novel for me is when he wrecks that pseud in front Lomax.
>>
>>8651110
What did others make of this part? I guess most obviously is that it expands upon the differences between Edith and Stoner. Maybe it has something to do with the ideological differences between Stoner and Lomax?
>>
>>8649729
I will concede I haven't been much of a reader before now, and probably a pleb. I don't care much for themes and symbols as of now, but I think as I read more I'll start to look out for them.

Do you not like the book?
>>
>>8651110
Edith confused me for a long while. She never did go to Europe did she? Is that why she hated Stoner so much?

>>8651128
Fucking hell that was great.

>>8649576

I'm not the best at articulating my thoughts, but here goes.

For one, I've read mostly poetry (Keats and Whitman mainly) and this was a nice refresher to prose. Secondly, the plot arc didn't feel like a tragedy or existential, but actually of a promotion of the mundane life, which was interesting. I also haven't read many books that go through the entire life of a person, so it was nice to get some perspective on the future. Lastly, it was interesting to see why Stoner did what he did: early on he switches from agricultural science (which he's acing) to a full on literature major, of which he struggles with.
>>
>>8651592
>>8649729
Also yes I could've worded the prose part better, but I wasn't attempting to be profound with my questions.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.