[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honest question Why do you read anything but poetry? Why read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

File: 1466794304036.png (509KB, 719x665px) Image search: [Google]
1466794304036.png
509KB, 719x665px
Honest question
Why do you read anything but poetry?
Why read some boring made up story just to get some good moments, those moments being not even half as heart moving as the greatest poems?
Poetry is pure ecstasy
Any other kind of literature is TV tier compared to it
>>
>reading anything but ancient longform portry in the original language
>>
>>8647960
Good prose is much better.
>>
>>8647966
Think again tubby
>>
Read Melville's prose and find out.
>>
>>8647967
I have, prose is still better.
>>
>>8647966
Poetry can be written in prose you fucking lunatic mongoloid
>>
>>8647969
>>8647974
see >>8647978
Yer pleb is showin, neo-/lit/
>>
>>8647981
Then what is poetry?
>>
>>8647960
Agreed
>>
>DUDE BIG WORDS AND LINEBREAKS
>LEMME EXPRESS MY FEELS IN A REALLY CONVOLUTED FUCKING WAT MANG
Poetry is shit
Great writers craft emotion with their characters and stories, not with verbose diatribes
>>
>>8647960
>like a regular story
>only you press enter every ~10 syllables
Clearly the superior form of literature.
>>
File: bloodroot.png (812KB, 720x670px) Image search: [Google]
bloodroot.png
812KB, 720x670px
these threads are so cringey
>>
>>8647981
>>8647978
Moby-Dick is poetic, but it's not a poem. We're replying to what OP said:

>Why read some boring made up story just to get some good moments, those moments being not even half as heart moving as the greatest poems?

Moby-Dick isn't a poem. It's prose.
>>
>>8647987
Good question
>>8647997
Nice
>>8648000
>>8648028
Epic meme arrows!
>>
Poetry is boring though.
>>
>>8648000
Pretty decent shitposting. However, I much prefer the "simpleton aesthetic" of an all lowercase approach as opposed to the aggressiveness evoked by the techniques of the All Caps School.
>>
>>8647978
No it can't that's the biggest meme in several weeks
>>
>>8648043
>[insert title if poem] isnt a novel. It's verse
Do you realize how retarded and boring you are?
>>
>>8648052
I WANT TO READ A BOOK WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS
>>
>>8648054
>I (literal who) know what poetry is, Rimbaud and Whitman don't :^)
Epicly may may'd!
>>
>>8648056
>you're boring!
>my asshole is a poem!
Sounds like you just got blown the fuck out. Go back to your nursery rhymes, faggot boy.
>>
>>8648057
https://www.amazon.com/Control-Christian-Marriages-Priesthood-Children/dp/1425992609
>>
File: 1476220510204.jpg (45KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1476220510204.jpg
45KB, 500x375px
>>8648071
>you totally got BTFO broo XDD
>thanks to this strawman tho
>>
>>8648051
>i cant handle the abstract
Found the novel pleb.
>>
>>8648079
>b-boring
>>
>>8648082
>prose can't be abstract
There's poetry does that prose isn't capable of and more.
Poetry is literally outdated, it was used by the ancients to relay information in absence of paper and to give speeches
>>
File: 1472677267998.jpg (16KB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
1472677267998.jpg
16KB, 480x336px
>>8648110
>poetry cant be prose
>>
>>8648120
What's your favorite prose poem?
>>
File: TWPoet.jpg (41KB, 570x484px) Image search: [Google]
TWPoet.jpg
41KB, 570x484px
This is like comparing lobster to the all-you-can-eat buffet.
>>
Why are poetryfags so desperate for validation? They're like vegans of literature
>>
>>8647966
Good prose is decent poetry.
>>
>>8648196
You sure told them!
>>
>>8648207
The best poetry is in prose desu
>>
File: a0984029365_10.jpg (173KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
a0984029365_10.jpg
173KB, 900x900px
still in highschool niglet
>>
>>8648212
naw, prose has a lack of restrictions that is really useful to the ones that uses it, but the best poetry is poetry. I don't hate prose, but its comparison to poetry doesn't work very well.
I'm also not the OP that said prose was dum btw.
>>
I started writing poetry on September 28th after reading Marcus Amaker. I'm meeting him tomorrow.

Poetry is very fun to write, and my professors love my work. It's like programming to me in a sense.

That being said, I made a Tumblr to post my poetry on, thinking those circles might be primarily people who aren't retarded, but it's just a different kind of glue-eating. The amount of times I've seen "darkness in my soul" and "I'm burning" could have probably caused acute fatal overdosing.
>>
>>8648229
>poetry = verse
Lmaoing at your life
>>
>>8648241
why do beginners not ever re\\think about the actual words for a second? (former beginner here)
>>
>>8648242
what the hell are you talking about? The word verse didn't even enter the post
>>
>>8648241
>darkness in my soul
I'm not sure I believe that even the most base people are capable of writing something so cliche with any degree of sincerity.
>>
>>8648244
Because they are beginners
Because they didnt start with the greeks
>>
>>8648260
it's just so weird looking back
one of my oldest poems:

I am deep because of sadness
how i long for shallow gladness
for salty water is blinding me
yet so profound in tragedy
colder in the dark of sea
Poseidon I beseech thee
Wash me ashore so the sun may reach me
>>
>>8648255
I didn't think so either. Look up #new poets of Tumblr (yes the spaces are in the hashtag).

Its complete ass; I have nowhere to share my poetry with people that can appreciate it or that actually comment. The poetry threads here are very hit or miss, Tumblr is shit, despite being a fairly liberal city there's nothing substantial in Charleston, and most people I know will read a poem I poured tens of hours into and go "wow that's gud :^)".

Fuck.
>>
>>8648269
reddit has a decent community[spoiler/]
>>
>>8648272
I haven't found a good subreddit for sharing poetry either. They all have a ton of rules about giving feedback, which is great, but no traffic. Please direct me if you can.
>>
>>8648280
Ocpoetry helped me a good bit (because unlike here you can figure out the not dumbasses and talk to them)
>>
>>8648186
>This is like comparing lobster to the all-you-can-eat buffet.
Lobsters are bottom-feeders, anon, the trashcans of the sea like all shellfish
>>
Poetry is like listening to a trumpet. A piercing and explosive stream of meaning that rattles the mind. Sometimes I perfer a gentle strum on a guitar that slowly builds and rolls broadly.
>>
>>8648266
This still isn't bad at all. Here's one of my "older" ones (it will be old, I'm new):

The Bottle -Alexander, 20 October 2016

The embers of the precession thrashed

Against the floodgates in a blizzard

Of brown, speckled feathers --

But the cage was glass and

The cork was thick.

Rain pelted the false walls,

Taunting the cistern that

Yearned to pour its doves --

To expel the coos of mourning,

To nurse the tattered shred of warmth.

The case was revealing

And within was clear.

To release one was

To claim the other,

And both doors were heavy.

The sparks grew silent as

The murder pushed forward

And the trembling hands struggled --

But the cage was glass and

The cork was thick.
>>
>>8648269
may be you should try to publish it in some magazine then or something
>>
>>8648269
Are you planning on sharing any of your poetry with Marcus Amaker?
>>
>>8648291
>Poetry is like listening to a trumpet. A piercing and explosive stream of meaning that rattles the mind.
Whoa dude what a beautiful, vivid simile!
Did you learn it from poetry?

...i want more
>>
>>8648293
you 'almost have a good handle on line breaks
L1&2 are great subversions, btu L4 & 7 are kind of lacking/feel like they are broken just for the sake of line shape. Work harder for meaningful enjambment like the first two lines and and meaning will ooze out.

"The murder pushed forward" is phrased a bit awkwardly (consider just saying crows, although you may lose the implicit strangling)
>>
>>8648293
^ me
>>8648294
I'm definitely considering it. There's a magazine on campus for white-girl-photography, short stories, and poetry that's asked me to submit (given, there was a three line poem about macaroni and cheese in the edition they gave me). My literature professor wants me to publish, but I only have 8 finished poems and would prefer to have enough for a small collection first.
>>
If poetry is so good how come you've written this thread in prose?
If poetry is so precise and meaningful how come people use prose to communicate?
If poetry is so deep how come scientific papers and philosophical treatises are written in prose?
If poetry is so important how come poetry is dead?
>>
>>8648322
>poetry needs to be precise
>>
>>8648301
Yes. I made an error in that post though, I'm meeting him Tuesday. I don't know what to show him, and I don't want to be too pushy with him. My pen name is Alexander and I already posted (my phone isn't updating posts at a decent rate). I can post more or give a view link for Google drive if anyone is interested.

>>8648312
I agree with you on lines 4, 7, and 17. A lot of times my line breaks are to highlight the first word of the new line, and I definitely have a ways to go with that. As for line 17, I really struggled. It's a tough decision as to what to do with it, and I'm still not sure just how satisfied I am with that line. That being said, you are the first person to bring that up, and I'm glad you did.
>>
>>8648322
>prose cant be poetry
Epix
>>
>>8648336
no problem, it's fairly clear you're serious about craftsmanship.
Have you been practicing meter? If not, just do it. It makes your free verse better.
>>
>>8648290
Then never before has trash tasted so good.
>>
Form of literature is necessarily connected to the content and force of literature.

It's silly to think that you can reduce the whole force of literature to a given form.
>>
>>8648353
Only good answer
>>
>>8648343
Thank you for the sound advice by the way, and as for practicing meter, oh boy I have. Here's the other poem of that day, shockingly about the same topic; its very different from my other lengthy poems and it was fun to write:

Deliberation-Alexander, 20 October 2016
And there I was, gazing;
The why of that when lost
In the paths that still crossed
Though our footsteps had rethought their phasing.

Between us, an entanglement:
Our knotted hands palpitant,
The glare in your eyes vacillant,
And as to my next, bafflement.

And there I was, gazing;
Pawing at the door of comprehension
While suspicion my trust was razing
And raising a creeping tension.

From your ambivalence came ponderance;
Introspection and retrospection
Dredged a dreadful intolerance:
What if that is then’s why?

The thought -- abhorrent aberration!
But I reluctantly began consideration,
And from the haze a realization
Brought forth the feared confirmation.

The why of that when found,
Recollection embossed
Upon your expression
An answer to my question.

I looked away and left.
You glared and sulked.

The sound of my footsteps were distinct
From my trembling sigh of strained solace
As that which was summoned in my struggle
Silently slipped from my sore eyes.

>Yeah, "ponderance" isn't a real word, but the great poets did that too. I originally did that twice in this one.
>>
>>8648314
why do you want to post them on the internet then? afaik it will be considered that they were previously published then, i recall people wrote about it on /lit/
>>
>>8648371
If a poet never uses a nonce word, they're extremely restrictive (not usually in a good way)

This piece may have been fun to write, but unlike the other piece, this one loses itself in abstraction (in a real bad way).
The BAAB scheme is tidy, but the variance in line length messes up the sonic quality it may have had.
"The why of that when lost" is a lovely line, and at the risk of being discouraging I'd suggest you take it and use it in another poem. This one is a lost weaker due to the lack of striking imagery and the dependence on vague abstraction to convey meaning.
Maybe someone else will tell you differently, but I'm attached to imagism a bit and think pieces like this fail to use something hugely important to poetry, (that being color)
>>
>>8648390
That's exactly what Cam, the top of our class and recent friend, told me. I started the first stanza from a sticky note I left myself about standing up, forgetting why immediately, but still walking in the direction I was facing until I discovered my initial purpose. Once a recent event involving a certain female around the date of the piece happened though, the purpose got muddled.

That's an ongoing theme I've found recently: every time I don't have a concrete set of ideas I write decently phrased flops.

I'm taking a poem about a Bodhi tree and a caterpillar and separating it from the odd fixation with clouds present in the original, and I'll see what happens here too. I've got one last imagery heavy piece that was called a "masterpiece" by the aforementioned Cam and "exquisite" by our professor. Maybe this will be a tad more effective:

The Smith and the Artisan -Alexander, 1 October 2016

A breezy melody gently flowed
From the calm house by the brook.
Every note rose in time with the mallet,
Coloring the air that fueled the blushing furnace.
The piece whispered to the humming artisan,
Silently coaxing the relaxed hands to
Guide the wandering silver
As it manifests its will.

The sculptor, fully immersed in this journey,
Did not notice as the sun finished its own.
The embers in the furnace and in the sky
Cooled in the stream of the song.

“When will you feel complete, my friend?”,
Asked through the sweat of satisfied arms on a brow.
At its reply the artist silently nodded in respect.

The stale air was repeatedly bludgeoned
By the feverous workshop near the road.
Every strike resonated in the panting bellows,
Disturbing the smoke wheezed by the sweltering forge.
The smith exhaled with great force,
Commanding the steel with taut fists
To contort and bleed to his vision,
Demanding it fill the mould.

The smelter, wrought by fatigue,
Welcomed the sun as it left.
The cinders in the forge and in the clouds
Choked at the last sigh from the bellows.

“Why are they never perfect?”,
Whimpered through the defeat of powerful shoulders.
With disappointment the wasted time was
Thrown into the pile of the other forced attempts.

Artists find fulfillment through their labour.
>>
>>8648383
That's something I haven't actually considered. I should probably look in to that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
>>
>>8647960
I enjoy good poetry like Leopardi,D'Annunzio,Baudelaire
>>
>Honest question
>Why do you do anything but exist in a perfectly sublime state?
>Why read some boring made up poem just to get some good moments, those moments being not even one millionth as heart moving as the greatest state of nirvana?
>Enlightenment is pure ecstasy
>Any other kind of being or existence is TV tier compared to it
>>
>>8647960
I understand that poetry is pretty good and I enjoy it as well but is it really better than really good fiction like Tolstoy or Nabokov?
Obviously genre fiction fags that like to read Scifi or YA books like Infinite Jest are absolutely pathetic and get no real value out of reading.
>>
File: Light.png (8KB, 211x301px) Image search: [Google]
Light.png
8KB, 211x301px
>>8648423
I think the initial posted work is stronger, but this is definitely better than the love piece, again I encourage a much harder focus on line-breaks.
My real issuse with this one is how much more it explains to the reader. The final line and "Why are they never perfect?" irk me especially in this regard. It comes across as if you either don't trust your reader or don't trust your words. Maybe I'm an obscurantist.
Here's one of my piece to use as a qualifier for all of these critques btw
>>
>>8648459
It's encouraging to hear that my most recent piece is more effective than my second piece for sure. Looking back, your main criticism of The Smith and the Artisan makes complete sense. I boxed myself in with a structure emphasising hard juxtaposition, making the Smith's sentence quite odd and Matheson-esque. There definitely is a point to be made in favour of obscurism; your piece is well ahead of mine. Hell, I've also moved towards obscurism as well. I have what I call the "No-Edit Notepad" -- a pack of sticky notes, where I make short lines off the cuff. This was made to tell Cam to stop forcing out a poem:

The Pigeon-Alexander, Fall 2016

An idea I wrote, and attached the note
To a pigeon, that it may return.
When back it did float, it brought with a mote;
Inspiration, those old words did spurn.

>It may very well be more effective at conveying the same idea than the last piece I posted.
>>
>>8648506

I'm actually embarrassed to be reading this. As a published author, this forum hurts my soul.
>>
>>8648516
Goddammit John Green, stop shitting up my board.
>>
>>8648439
If I knew how to only exist in a perfectly sublime state I would do it
>>
>>8648447
>it really better than really good fiction like Tolstoy or Nabokov?
Yes
What poets have you read?
>>
>>8648057
Read Danish poetry.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.