[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I write humor? Pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 11

File: hqdefault.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
How do I write humor? Pic related
>>
Read timelessly witty authors like Oscar Wilde. Autistically note all things funny in a database. Find trends to emulate in your own humor.
>>
>>8647928
Step 1 be funny
>>
Shock humor is literally the only form of comedy that can make people laugh for real all the way from their bellies. All other forms of "comedy" can at best produce some fake laughs. You don't want to admit that your laugh is fake but it is
>>
File: b8.gif (3MB, 300x252px) Image search: [Google]
b8.gif
3MB, 300x252px
>>8647942
ebin opinion m8
>>
>>8647947
Name one single thing that can make people laugh that's not shock humor. Please be my guest.
>>
>>8647947
The only real form of laughter is the uncontrollable kind, something which only shock humor can produce.
>>
>>8647942
t. laughter scientist
>>
Eric Andre isn't funny though

>>8647942
>>8647952
i almost died from laughter during the jewel scene in Freddy Got Fingered. not shock humor at all
>>
>>8648140
post the video
>>
>>8647952
not that guy but shock humor tends to appeal most to the chronically depressed. while all humor has some form of shock in it, if you require it to be tom green/eric andre levels of shock you might just be depressed.
>>
>>8648151
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5sAy2Z-qiw

probably isn't as effective outside of context
>>
>>8647955
>>8647952
Schadenfreude isn't necessarily shock humour, and is perfectly capable of causing uncontrollable laughter. As can errors people make while learning something out of ignorance.
Why is uncontrollable laughter the "only real form of laughter?" I'm all ears.
>>
File: 1475198900417.jpg (377KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1475198900417.jpg
377KB, 1280x720px
>>8648140
>Eric Andre isn't funny
>thinks fucking Freddy Got Fingered is
>>
If you live in a bigger city look for open mic nights at a comedy club. More often then not they are super cheap, or even free and just require you to buy a couple drinks. At their worst it's slightly awkward and you can derive enjoyment from the cringe, and during the better nights I've had great laughs from amateur comics.

Once you get home just write for half an hour or more. Like any form of writing you just have to do it in order to get better. You're not going to sit down and be immediately funny, nor are you going to idlely write funny concepts as you go through your day and have enough content to work with. You need to just write and try to be funny while doing so. Going to see amateur comics will help get into the right mindset for it. At least it does for me. Most of my motivation is comparative in nature so this method works for me. I also enjoy performing at these open mics so grain of salt etc.
>>
>>8648179
Freddy Got Fingered is a surrealist masterpiece that unfortunately got trashed by critics and audiences with plebeian expectations
>>
numbers ending in various syllables are funnier than those that aren't

67 makes for a better punchline than 61, go figure
>>
>>8648159
>all humor has some form of shock in it
Exactly

>if you require it to be tom green/eric andre levels of shock you might just be depressed.
Eric Andre is too uncalculated. He's a spray and pray kind of guy and most of the time he goes a little too far and just becomes annoying. It's always sunny and Nathan for you are the best shows that I've seen

>>8648162
One person simply takes a small step out of the boundaries that we've created through self-regulation and all of the sudden everyone starts laughing uncontrollably from their hearts. The joke is usually something dumb and simple and the reaction is usually just "Haha he did something that he's not supposed to do hahaha" but that's the beauty of it. It's so simple and so human. The only time that I feel like I'm around a real genius is when I'm around clowny people who got shock humor down to a science, you know the kind of people who knows how to always make people smile. Those kind of people know something about the human condition that we don't.
>>
>>8648210
nah just because all humor has some form of shock in it doesn't make all humor shock humor. the most elementary knock-knock joke has shock in it too.
>>
>>8648191
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBl0ly40ORg

a timeless masterpiece
>>
>>8648219
My entire point is that knock-knock jokes aren't really humour because it doesn't make people laugh uncontrollably. Shock humor that don't produce any laughter isn't humour either
>>
>>8648235
they are though. you realize different people laugh at different things right?
>>
File: dice.jpg (68KB, 630x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dice.jpg
68KB, 630x1200px
>>8647928
try poetry
>>
>>8647928
With a u
> humour
>>
File: 1477099696684[1].jpg (14KB, 300x237px) Image search: [Google]
1477099696684[1].jpg
14KB, 300x237px
>>8648310
>British """""""""""humour""""""""""
>>
File: DFW.jpg (167KB, 529x705px) Image search: [Google]
DFW.jpg
167KB, 529x705px
the man himself wrote about humor (via Kafka)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzEO0qFFzwI
>>
>Pic un*related

FTFY, op.
>>
File: stewart-lee-2332613.jpg (125KB, 2197x1463px) Image search: [Google]
stewart-lee-2332613.jpg
125KB, 2197x1463px
>>8647928
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd4FfNpYxF0

lern2lee
>>
Any books out there about comedy on a psycological level? Why things are funny, different categories of comedy, and example comedians? Something I'm often thinking about and I would like to delve deeper into gelotology.
>>
>>8647942
T. Someone who never had funny friends
>>
>>8648616
Really trying to take the fun out of laughing.
>>
My mom once laughed so hard she pooped in my mouth.
>>
>>8648619
On the contrary I think I have found some of the funniest, amusing, and eccentric people among my peers. There is a difference between experiencing social interactions with emotional responses and wanting to understand their underlying workings.

If your not going to help then I demand your immediate appology, sir.
>>
>>8648624
Maybe the people you know are funny, but I have been the class clown my entire life, believe me, there is a lot more that is gut haha funny than shock humor. I know you think you are very clever and unique because you were keen enough to tell the difference between polite chuckles and genuine laughter, but that doesn't mean you know everything about what's funny
>>
>>8648235
humour that doesn't make people laugh uncontrollably is still humour
>>
you guys are fucking miserable. only lit could ruin laughing.
>>
>>8648633

Miss quoted on my post and I'm actually: >>8648616

I completely agree with you and the other anon is an insolent fool.

The nature of comedy is so nuanced and transient and there is no way to make such broad stroked statements about it.

I think he is confusing 'shock' with the aha moment that is necessary in all comedy. Like music, comedy plays on tension and release (or lack of). When listening to a joke there will be a moment that the recipient will connect the dots that the comedian has laid out. This isn't inherently shocking, but it should be abrupt and jarring. However, saying that every good joke is a form of shock comedy is just categorically wrong.

I would like more studies or books on this subject though, because I absolutely love it.
>>
>>8647928
>>8648616
>>8648689
A good book on the more traditional "joke" style that was much more popular in the early twentieth century is "Jokes and the unconscious" for Satire I would recommend "Anatomy of Satire". But those are really things you should be reading late in the game. Before you read texts like those you should just read funny books like Gulliver's tales, Tristan Shandy, aristophanes' frogs and clouds, Confederacy of Dunces. These serve as good inspiration for going out and trying new techniques and new modes of satire.

But, it is also worth pointing out that there are some personality traits that are mostly genetic in my experience which are needed for comedy. These are mainly a high tolerance for social punishment (you do not back down when people get upset even if it means you lose friends or back down when others start communicating that they don't like the joke)
It requires very low risk-aversion. If you actually want to be funny you have to say things that could completely fall flat and be totally OK with it.

I would primarily say, if when you were a child you were desperate for attention, I think you have what it takes.
>>
If you think Eric Andre is funny you have a two-digit IQ, sorry to spoil the fun
>>
>>8648523
stewart lee is the only one out there who can actually tell a story, narrate something. The whole "I'm in oil" bit is also great, the way he builds up to it.
>>
>>8648210
nathan for you isn't shock humour, dude
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 300x475px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 300x475px
This is a book.
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 353x499px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 353x499px
>>8649459
And another
>>
>>8647928
I find things like the Hitchhiker's Guide and Eddie Izzard's stand up performances to be hilarious for similar reasons; they both take you on a very long journey to get to the punchline. I'd recommend looking at both of those for inspiration.

I'm far from an expert on humour though, as a kid I used to laugh at explosions.
>>
>>8648189
>stand-up comedy
>funny

>>8648191
>masterpiece

>>8647928
Anyway OP, a lot of TV humour is organic and created by two or three or even a team of people shooting shit. You ever get going with your friends and create your own memorable and funny memes? Its like that.
Old, good Simpsons was written that way I believe.

Trying too hard won't work. With literature, the best you can really do is be witty. The written word loses its dependence on tone, timing and visuals - three important factors IMO
>>
>>8649467
Mentioned in
>>8649409
>>
>>8649537
I agree that stand up is inherently not funny. In my daily life I highly prefer conversational humor as it shows more wit and requires quick thinking. However, despite being a shit medium there is no doubt that doing stand up well requires a lot of talent. Like I mentioned in my previous post, a lot of the material is just going to fall flat, so I usually just laugh ironically and think of it like a hammed up Seinfeld bit.
>>
>>8649459
Holy crap. Bergson wrote on humor? Nev r heard of this, thanks!
>>
Op, don't listen to anyone itt.

Read Greg deans book on stand up comedy- most of it explains the formula on how to write a joke. That gives you the rudiments.

It's all structure, it's like a math equation. It's all about taking a word in the setup and using it to introduce a new idea to the punchline. It's as simple as that.
>>
>>8647952
>band has two drummers + picture of spongegar
>repeated for the 100th time
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GyuYOh6Dgs

is the chorus/hook of this rap song shock humor? (don't worry about language
>>
>>8650266
it's hilarious because they're serious
>>
>>8650232
2+2=5 amirite?
>>
File: covers_76044.jpg (92KB, 359x500px) Image search: [Google]
covers_76044.jpg
92KB, 359x500px
>>8647928
>>8647952

Have you tried reading this?
>>
File: Sterne 1767 - Tristram Shandy II.jpg (680KB, 969x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Sterne 1767 - Tristram Shandy II.jpg
680KB, 969x1600px
>>8647928
And this?
>>
>>8650232
What. . . . That wasn't funny.
>>
>>8650347
No, you are not.
>>
>>8650355
Does anyone know what this guy is going on about?
>>
>>8650362
How can I take your advice seriously if it's not funny?
>>
>>8650353
Mentioned in
>>8649409
>>
>>8650355
It's funny because anon is serious.
>>
>>8650370
>>8650387
What do you suppose this individual meant by these cryptic and mysterious missives?
>>
>>8648380
>declaim for you
jesus this guy was so infinitely pretentious
>>
>>8648380
Read this article several times, still don't understand why DFW thought Kafka was funny
>>
>>8648159
But I am depressed Anon
>>
By writing seriously
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.