[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A Natural History of Dragons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: dragons book.jpg (2MB, 1400x2095px) Image search: [Google]
dragons book.jpg
2MB, 1400x2095px
Are there any other series that approach low, or even high fantasy, from a scientific researcher's perspective?

This 4 book series is incredible, it's like if Jane Goodall spent her time traveling the globe researching Dragons, Wyverns, Leviathans, and other beasts instead of apes.

It's also very clinic in the biology without becoming pedantic.
>>
>>8647668
>Goes into fantasy with a scientific perspective
>Uses it to study fantasy biology, not to build a nice axion through which magic could work
Boo hoo.
>>
File: Mizutsune bubble dragon.png (1MB, 950x717px) Image search: [Google]
Mizutsune bubble dragon.png
1MB, 950x717px
>>8647679
Actually in the end of the first book she discovers a method of preserving the bones, which typically dissolve upon the dragon's death, the they turn out to be lighter and stronger than steel. This becomes a problem later in series when the ersatz-Chinese society steals her research and start inventing proto-helicoptors by killing tons of dragons.
>>
>>8647668
this is actually interesting. Worth getting on my shelf OP?

I'm interested in this thread
>>
>>8647699
That's so fucking cool
It almost makes up for that text message version of romeo and juliet
>>
>>8647668
borges did it better
>>
>>8647668
cool fucking book op ill have to read it now
>>
>>8647668
>>8647668
>>8647668
>>8647668
any torrent links? not on libgen
>>
2luna5me
>>
File: Wil_Huygen_-_Gnomes.jpg (13KB, 128x185px) Image search: [Google]
Wil_Huygen_-_Gnomes.jpg
13KB, 128x185px
>>8647668
>Gnomes (first published in Dutch in 1976 as Leven en werken van de kabouter; English, 1977), one in a series of books, was written by Wil Huygen and illustrated by Rien Poortvliet.[1] The book explains the life and habitat of gnomes in an in-universe fashion, much as a biology book would do, complete with illustrations and textbook notes.
>>
The series had the potential to be awesome but just felt kinda generic. Despite being about the worlds foremost Dragon Naturalist there's very little research, insights or observations and what is there is very superficial. Plus every book seems to dissolve into standard fantasy plots.

I don't know, maybe I'm a little biased because I actually read and enjoy scientific books/journals/memoirs but I was very disappointed with this series. I will finish it when the last book is released but mostly because I love Lockwood's drawings.
>>
>>8647668
>Are there any other series that approach low, or even high fantasy, from a scientific researcher's perspective?
this is so reddit
>>
>>8647668
Terry Jones of Monty Python fame wrote a couple of books, Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book and Strange Stains and Mysterious Smells, that are meant to be a collection of fairy images (with commentary) captured by pseudo-Victorian-era psychic cameras developed by a pair of eccentric, amateur researchers.
>>
>>8647923
>it's an actual novel with plot and shit when all I wanted was a scientific study of dragons

Fuck man. I'm so disappointed.
>>
>>8647668
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.
>>
My diary desu
>>
File: 1470406470575.jpg (71KB, 647x594px) Image search: [Google]
1470406470575.jpg
71KB, 647x594px
>>8647668
Oh man this looks so coo--
>This 4 book series
>>
>>8647668
The Wall of Storms does this a lot, but it's not entirely that and it's book in a series that starts with The Grace of Kings

There was another one about a victorian scientist studying the anatomy of other non-dragon species but I don't remember the name
>>
>>8648006
Sorry, I expected a book about a scientist going to exotic locations and making crazy discoveries while becoming a world renowned expert on dragons to you know actually be about that. The first book even turns into a fucking Scooby Doo mystery half way through. Also her research isn't even her own, she steals it from an evil scientists lair.

I don't actually hate the series as much as it probably sounds like I do I'm just disappointed that such a cool idea is used in such a lackluster way. It could have been so much more then this fairly generic and safe fantasy series.
>>
>>8648213
>women
>doing their own research

I should have known.
>>
>>8648213
>Also her research isn't even her own, she steals it from an evil scientists lair
tee-hee, silly boys :3
>>
>>8648265
Why are you so goddamn annoying?
>>
>>8647790

You could have had me burned alive, but you wouldn't say thank you.
>>
>>8648286
because ti's a female(m)
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.