[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who are some thinkers who defend violence?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

File: 1.png (628KB, 1208x1148px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
628KB, 1208x1148px
Who are some thinkers who defend violence?
>>
Hegel.
>>
me
>>
>>8647589
Can you elaborate any?
>>
>>8647617
Master/Slave dialectic.
Now that I think about it, by 21th century standards, almost every thinker or philosopher before 1900 is 'pro-violence' in one way or another. I mean, not that they were outright arguing for harm of others, but war and conflict was seen as just a fact of life, instead of something to be suppressed.
>>
Muhammed.
Though I'm hesitant to call him a thinker.
>>
Jesus Christ
Hans Hermann-Hoppe

The lsit goes on and on
>>
>>8647588
"Nothing was ever solved by non-violence"
Homer Simpson
>>
>>8647635
Just about any philosopher who wasn't a complete pussy thought violence could be justified in some way or another, dude, but I think OP's referring to "Thinkers who, rather than thinking violence necessary or useful, saw it as vital or great".
>>
political realism i.e. the likes like thucydides, machiavelly and the like
>>
>>8647635
Jesus criticised violence
>>
>>8647650
See "Jesus beat people at a temple since they were selling stuff"
>>
>>8647650
Not all kinds of violence. Stoning was fine
>>
>>8647657
Nope, "He who has not sinned throw the first stone". See >>8647653 for actual exemple.
>>
>>8647653
1. Jesus did not beat the money changers. He drove them out. Read John 2:15
2. Jesus was not in the wrong, since the temple belonged to God and it was being misused. In John 2:16 he tells them "Take these things away; do not make my Father's house a house of trade."
Of course, you can just say that God doesn't exist etc. but that won't change the fact that Jesus taught peace. Read the sermon on the mount.
>>
>>8647648
This, I'm looking more for "violence isnt (so) bad" than "violence can be justified teleologically"
>>
>>8647683
Mary Goldman
>>
>>8647713
google has nothing. Not Emma Goldman, is it?
>>
>>8647728
Yes. >.<
>>
>>8647713
>women
>thinkers
top kek
>>
>>8647897
Your entire life is a meme or this is dull and overused bait.
>>
>>8647902
It's objectively true than women generally have less interesting thoughts than men
>>
>>8647918
>objectively
>interesting
1/8, (You) made me respond. Scoot off to /pol/ with your friends, now, kiddo. Show's over.
>>
>>8647682
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!
>>
>>8647927
Show's just getting started cuck; this is our board now. Don't like it? Find another website. /lit/ is alt-right territory and don't you EVER forget it
>>
File: 1475724674150.jpg (167KB, 650x748px) Image search: [Google]
1475724674150.jpg
167KB, 650x748px
>>8647588
defence of violence =/= exultation of random violence.

Julius Evola
Nietzsche
Georges Sorel
Slavoj Žižek
Hobbes
Aristotle
Plato
Edmund Burke

many more I can't think of now

also if anyone is interested this is a great article on the Aesthetics of violence and the connection between Terrorism and art (Terrorism as the ultimate in the negative sublime in art)
>>
>>8647983
>Terrorism as the ultimate in the negative sublime in art
phh, something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Murder_Considered_as_one_of_the_Fine_Arts which i personally never bothered to find time to read
>>
>>8647588
Ted Kaczynski.
>>
>>8647983
>defence of violence =/= exultation of random violence.

Yes, I'm just interested in defenses of violence that DON'T rely on teleology of specific violent acts.
>>
>>8647983
>Takato Yamamoto

You have excellent taste, my friend.
>>
Would /lit/ say Nietzsche was fine with violence?
>>
>>8647588
Franz Fanon. Who you seem to be suggesting in your pic anyway?
>>
>>8647682
Read Revelation , the part with the winepress of Gods wrath, or really the whole thing
>>
File: 1394079556566.jpg (432KB, 670x750px) Image search: [Google]
1394079556566.jpg
432KB, 670x750px
>>8647989
its more than just murder, but the spectacle and flamboyancy involved with terrorism.

Marinetti said in his Futurist manifesto that "Art, in fact, can be nothing but violence, cruelty, and injustice" and he was right
art forces ideas upon you and manipulated aesthetic feelings in order to reform your thoughts as intended by the perpetrator of the piece.

in the same way governments manipulate said aesthetic ideas in order to create the society they want, likewhise terrorists in this way seek to forcibly insert their own asthetic ideas into the fray in order to achive a massive mental shift in the target population.

9/11 is a great example, why do you think they of all buildings were targeted? why planes and not something else? why both towers in succession?
its a grand performance to introduce something new into the aesthetic soup of the formerly complacent population.
>>
>>8647995
he definitely was, since morality is up to the one who makes the morals, and the "heroic" figure by necessity must use his will in a violent way to subject the world around him.
>>
>>8647932
And how is that teaching violence?
>>
File: Jesus-Sword.jpg (113KB, 450x629px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus-Sword.jpg
113KB, 450x629px
>>8648023
>Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
>>
>>8648001
top is the black nationalist who killed 5-6 cops in Texas before they put a suicide vest on a robot and btfo him, but I only chose it because it's the only pic I've got that's somewhat relevant to positive notions of violence.
>>
>>8648047
What is a metaphor taken out of context?
>>
>>8648047
"Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." - Matthew 10:34-39

"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." - Hebrews 4:12
>>
>>8648143
This.

I hate this "muh Jesus wuz peaceful n shiet" meme.
>>
>>8648009
Ah, you mean the manifesto that was to be seen as a revolt against emperor Nero.
>>
Nietzsche for sure.
>>
>>8648144
He was peaceful, just not spiritually. I am reminded of the strong man mentioned in Mark - "No one can enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. Then indeed he may plunder his house."
Tie this in with Satan tempting Jesus in Matthew 4 - "The devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to him: All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me."
So Jesus came to challenge the spiritual ruler of the world, the "prince of the power of the air", to bind him and rob his house. Definitely not the weak Jesus figure that modern society has in mind, but there is a certain balance in the Bible between Jesus coming "not to be served but to serve" and Jesus being "King of kings and Lord of lords."
>>
>>8648011
>the spectacle and flamboyancy involved with terrorism
that sounds as exactly the topic of de quincey's essay
>>
tiqqun/the invisible committee.
hardt and negri sometimes, though they like democracy too much.
>>
Are there any notable secular philosophers or thinkers that go beyond arguing from the perspective violence is, in basic terms, an inevitability or a "necessary evil," or even contextually justifiable, and argue that violence is, universally, a moral good?
>>
Is taxation violent?
>>
>>8648345
try not to pay taxes and tell us what happens

taxation is closer to extortion than to robbery imo, but definitely is not theft
>>
>>8648465
>try not to pay taxes and tell us what happens
I will either be forced to hand over more of my property or I will be imprisoned. That's violent
>>
>>8648144
He was, He just didn't support the putting of lesser relationships above the relationship with Him.

Because those relationships are corruptible by evil.
>>
>>8647927
Why are women so narcissistic?
>>
>>8647588
Lenin, Mao and most other Marxists.
>>
>>8647983
Where's that great article anon
I've been considering writing some screenplay about that matter for months
>>
>>8649633
>commies
>thinkers
aay
>>
File: Barackolli.jpg (44KB, 267x400px) Image search: [Google]
Barackolli.jpg
44KB, 267x400px
>>8648522
Good.
Obeezy needs some new Yeezy's.
>>
>>8647588
Hobbes?

My working knowledge of Hobbes is patchy at best, but I've had it summarized to me that Hobbes in "The Leviathan" laid out that human beings in order to have society must be held in check by the threat of a higher power, lest they fall to abusing each other opportunistically all willy-nilly.

A "Man with a big stick", if you like.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.