[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /lit/'s opinion on this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

What's /lit/'s opinion on this?
>>
I liked it
>>
It's pretty good, though I think Vonnegut has a tendency to get written off as a gateway author or as a high school tier sort of thing. It might be nostalgia but I like almost everything he's written.
>>
He's the personification of mediocrity.
>>
>>8645911

His only good novel.
>>
>>8645958
Cat's Cradle was better
>>
itt: ppl who havent read the sirens of titan
>>
>>8645955
And so it goes.
>>
>>8646002
Mah nigga. That was a great book even though I personally prefer Cat's Cradle
>>
>>8645982

Cats cradle would have been better if he spent more time fleshing out the characters, and if the conceptual centerpiece wasn't a retread of hippie-centric, aw-gosh-can't-we-all-just-get-along apocalyptic fear.

The characters were the only ones who could've helped that novel, and they were all completely inert.
>>
>>8646053
Wasn't he satirising that mindset though? That's what drew me to the novel.
>>
>>8645911
Sirens of Titan was better.

So far I've read Slaughterhouse Five, Sirens of Titan, Player Piano, and Mother Night.

>>8645924
That's because his prose tends to be on the sloppy side a lot of the time and he does very hokey, melodramatic things in all of his books that I've read so far. I don't dislike him, but his writing is very flawed on several levels. His ideas tend to be decent to good but his execution is lacking.
>>
>>8646484
How is Mother Night? People have said it's his best.
>>
>>8646489
The concept was interesting but his writing style doesn't really lend itself well to that kind of idea. It wasn't bad, and the last 30 pages or so make up for how uneven everything before them is, but it could've been a lot better if someone else wrote it.

I think Sirens of Titan was stronger because he's at his best when he doesn't try to ground himself in reality too much.
>>
>>8646489
It's apparently pretty damn good because my brother stole it from me before I got a chance to read it. I bought that book like 3 years ago, and left it on the kitchen table. My brother picked it up and I haven't seen it since. Fuck you David, I also want The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books back.
>>
It's okay. Clever and interesting, but not amazing. Vonnegut is overrated.
>>
>>8645911
It's good, hell it's great but it's not a masterpiece
>>
>>8646795

It's also too short. I mean, 150 pages is pathetic.
>>
>>8645911
Pretty funny in some parts, not the best I've read.
>>
>>8646002
Glad to see this getting some love
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.