[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was talking to my christian mom about Kierkegaard Fear and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: caravaggio.jpg (42KB, 500x387px) Image search: [Google]
caravaggio.jpg
42KB, 500x387px
I was talking to my christian mom about Kierkegaard Fear and Trembling.

She said that if Abraham truly did that, then it would mean that he thought God was evil. She said it would be heresy.

Is she right?
>>
If Abraham truly did what?
>>
>>8645919
Then for an
instant he turned away from him, and when Isaac again saw Abraham's face it was
changed, his glance was wild, his form was horror. He seized Isaac by the throat, threw
him to the ground, and said, "Stupid boy, dost thou then suppose that I am thy father?
I am an idolater. Dost thou suppose that this is God's bidding? No, it is my desire."
Then Isaac trembled and cried out in his terror, "O God in heaven, have compassion
upon me. God of Abraham, have compassion upon me. If I have no father upon earth,
be Thou my father!" But Abraham in a low voice said to himself, "O Lord in heaven, I
thank Thee. After all it is better for him to believe that I am a monster, rather than that
he should lose faith in Thee."
>>
>>8645889
The biblical God is evil, though. He's the demiurge.
>>
>>8645925

It's pretty obvious that Abraham doesn't view God as evil at all. He simply recognizes that he's following an absurd command by God and that others who are still concerned in worldly matters (the ethical, i.e. "the Universal") won't be able to understand his action. It's clearly shown by the last lines there that Abraham loves God because he'd prefer even his own son (whom he loves) to love God instead of him if that's the way it has to be.

"Now Abraham can say the most beautiful things any language can muster about how he loves Isaac. But this is not what he has in mind, that being the deeper thought that he would have to sacrifice Isaac because it was a trial. This no one can understand, and so no one can but misunderstand the former."

"Then faith's paradox is this, that the single individual is higher than the universal, that the single individual (to recall a theological distinction less in vogue these days) determines his relation to the universal through his relation to the absolute, not his relation to the absolute through his relation to the universal. The paradox can also be put by saying that there is an absolute duty to God; for in this tie of obligation the individual relates himself absolutely, as the single individual, to the absolute. When people now say that it is a duty to love God, it is in a sense quite different from the above; for if this duty is absolute the ethical is reduced to the relative. It doesn't follow, nevertheless, that [the ethical] is to be done away with. Only that it gets a quite different expression, the paradoxical expression, so that, e.g., love of God can cause the knight of faith to give his love of his neighbour the opposite expression to that which is his duty ethically speaking."
>>
>>8645889
Women are never right, they stink like shit

Ask any redpilled board
>>
>>8645968
Modern women yes.

Not my my mom for sure.
>>
>>8645931
i guess it's one of the reasons why gnosticism always was rather tempting to people who tried to think logically, because the god of the old testament is indeed evil
>>
God: "Kill your son, your only son that you love"
Abraham: "Oh my god what?"
God: "DO it, faggot"
Abraham: *begins to do it*
God: "Lol, just kidding. Actually I totally HATE human sacrifice"

Was this a turning point for God?
>>
>>8646145
>Old Testament God bringing the bantz with a classic shitpost
Is he, dare I say it, our guy?
>>
>>8646145
As Kierkegaard would say, "the Absolute Madman"
>>
>>8645940
>>8645889
There is no indication of Abraham thinking that God is evil but I like your mom's interpretation nonetheless. I wish I could talk /lit/ stuff with my mom. She doesn't know who Kierkegaard is.
>>
>>8646571
Neither does mine. I told her about Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling, and that was her opinion.
>>
>tfw I get Kirkegaard and Dietrich Bonhoffer mixed up
Every time.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.