[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a name for this type of writing style: when you don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: zelda2_conceptart_JQny0.jpg (162KB, 500x521px) Image search: [Google]
zelda2_conceptart_JQny0.jpg
162KB, 500x521px
Is there a name for this type of writing style: when you don't include any of the character's thoughts at all? When you simply just describe the scene and what is happening. Is there a name for that style?

Also, do you think this could be effective?
>>
It sounds like a lot of exposition, and that doesnt sound fun.
>>
I think it could be very effective. A lot of the interiority of the characters would have to be implied through actions and dialogue.
>>
It's funny you're posting a Zelda picture, because there was this one LOZ fanfic that sort of captured this idea. It was a Twilight Princess fanfic, and Link barely talked. It was one of the only times I've ever seen a fanfic writer hew to the idea that Link doesn't talk, and they pulled it off mostly by describing the way his face looked and the way he moved, as well as the general environment of the adventure, the smell and the feel of the places Link visited.

Fuck, I wish I could remember it now.
>>
>>8644083

Well what I mean is, you still have dialogue, and describe the character's movements and actions, but you don't have any internal monologue. As if someone was just describing a scene they were witnessing and don't have any insight into the character's head
>>
I think you called a narrator that got inside the character's head "Omniscient", but there wasn't a name for narrators that didn't.
>>
>>8644105
Objective, according to wikipedia.
>>
>>8644099
Hope you remember it, that sounds interesting.
>>
File: 1447870593999.jpg (84KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1447870593999.jpg
84KB, 500x500px
>>8644101
Doesn't Demons do this?
There is a narrator but he isn't omniscient and instead describes whats happening at the gatherings and secret meetings. He talks about himself very rarely and since he exists in the world he has no access to the other characters's minds.
Its been a while but I think stepan trofimovich is one of the few characters where he talks about how he thinks, and even then its vague (stepan didnt leave his room for 3 days! or Stepan wote many many many love letters to varvara petrovna) or trofimovich is quoted directly.
>>
>>8644072
yeah its called a fucking play
>>
>>8644133
Plays have soliloquies.
>>
>>8644137
true, i guess i mean screenplay.

go read a screenplay if you want to find out if its style is effective.

spoiler its not
>>
Third person objective. Shirley Jackson's the lottery is in the style.
>>
This is every pre-novel classic ever.
>>
>>8644144

But screenplays are virtually all dialogue, they often don't describe things like a characters movements/tics/fidgets
>>
>>8644125
Found it. Unfinished, of course, but that's not surprising.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3387336/1/Never-After
>>
i have never paid to it a special attention but isn't it not that uncommon, i mean, i have some random detective story opened in my web browser (erle stanley gardner, "the d.a. goes to trial"), and it seems it is written in a pretty similar way, without expressing the thoughts of any of the characters except by a dialogue, it almost doesn't even have passages like "he went there thinking he could do something" except maybe very rarely

btw, if you don't mind the latter it is even more common, i personally don't recall don quixote having an inner monologue...

i am not sure if it has a special name
>>
Objective third person present is easiest to write. All you need to do is imagine really hard and write down what happens.

I write everything this way and then add some thoughts for the main character and change all the tenses so it's third person limited past, which seems to be most popular.
>>
>>8644072
Blood Meridian
>>
File: 1446759603690.gif (549KB, 349x262px) Image search: [Google]
1446759603690.gif
549KB, 349x262px
>>8644148

THIS
>>
3rd Person Limited

Limited to just what's happening
Maltese Falcon does this well
>>
>>8644072
Screenwriting
>>
>>8644844
Limited means the narrator is limited to knowing the thoughts/feelings of a single character. OP is describing objective viewpoint (narrator doesn't know anybody's thoughts/feelings).
>>
>>8644914
>the narrator is limited to knowing the thoughts/feelings of a single character
Sounds spooky
>>
>>8644975
>>8644914

Someone should write a book where the narrator only knows what one character is thinking/feeling and tries to deduce what the fuck is happening based on just that.
>>
>>8644982
Or the narrator isn't following any character specifically and only knows stuff about them based on what they say and do
>>
>>8644975
>>8644982
Thoughts/feelings includes all the sensory data. The narrator sees everything the main character sees (and other senses). It's a powerful psychic locked in a sensory deprivation chamber, but able to perfectly mind-read the main character.

In the case of objective viewpoint, the narrator is following the main character as an invisible ghost.

This means all third-person fiction is actually fantasy genre.
>>
>>8644990

So, a regular book? Omniscient, ever present narrators have been frowned upon as lazy, lowbrow storytelling for ages. No need to be creative trying to build your characters, just write what they think!
>>
>>8644995
What if the narrator was a character and the whole book is written from the perspective of a character describing what the narrator describes about the character
>>
>>8644995
Objective viewpoint is rare. Limited (mind-reading only the main character, or optionally switching character at chapter boundaries) is the modern style.
>>
>>8644991
>This means all third-person fiction is actually fantasy genre.
Unless there's a framing story, then the outer narrator is the author, and the inner narrator is a normal character.
>>
>>8644072
It's called clinical, or, as Joyce described his Naussica chapter in Ulysses as the "coldest, baldest prose" imaginable.

Chekov pulls it off to great effect, as does Kafka. Read the Metamorphosis, it's mostly physical description. Gregor's greatest psychological crisis is that he can't get to work, not that he's been transformed into a bug.

It's an ironic style that forces the reader to interact with the text in a more critical way than emotional, or psychological prose which simply seeks to seduce the reader with an illusion.

t. drunk grad student
>>
>>8645033
Jeez.

I meant Ithaca, not Nausicaa.
>>
>>8644148
>>8645033
This, and one step further: so-called "phenomenological" writers like Robbe-Grillet
>>
File: 1317298826912.jpg (92KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1317298826912.jpg
92KB, 800x600px
>>8645094
Which according to Wikipedia, is the same as objective except with deliberate repetition. The only time I've seen deliberate repetition work was in Ever 17, and only because it was using VN conventions to trick the reader.
>>
>>8644982
That's called "life".
>>
>>8645104
In this case I'd rather distinguish it as having a much greater focus on the environment and objects, from which the repetition serves to mark a sort of trail for the characters
>>
Check out Jealousy by Alain Robbe-Grillet for an extreme example of this.
>>
>>8644101
so the character doesn't speak at all
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.