[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Transcendent Prose/Verse Styles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot_2.png (26KB, 657x426px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2.png
26KB, 657x426px
20 y/o STEM-lord here,

I've read 89 books, plays, and poetry collections in the last year or so, 69 classics and some non-fiction.

Here's my rating:

1. Milton - Paradise Lost > sustained verse

2. Shakespeare - various exchanges and soliloquys (in his later plays) > phrase-coinage and metaphors

3. McCarthy - Blood Meridian and Suttree > rhythmic alternations of sparse and rich prose

4. Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow > Shakespeare in prose

Personal Honourable Mention. Xenophon - Cyropaedia (Walter Miller translation) > b/c of a personal fascination with Cyrus

On the Fence. Delillo - Underworld > brief flashes of transcendence, probably needs some time to pass so that his descriptions become descriptions of the "historical" rather than what's actually going on right now.

Was wondering if anyone agrees with this?

-

I put a premium on style because after a while I started to realize that alot of what constituted "great" literature was just good, but not great prose (by today's standards - not by the standards of their day) - mixed in with alot of fucking platitudes and "insights" and shallow levels of interpretation designed to appeal to the mass-market.

Examples:

The Russians - you can see what I think of them from the pic. They're not very good in-translation.

Divine Comedy (in-translation) was pretty good as a work of verse, but its real strength lay in its structure, setting, and the intertwining of allegory throughout. Wish I could read it in Italian - but I'm not going to learn an entire language just to read one work.

Homer might as well be read alongside "Game of Thrones" if not for the retarded amounts of references to his epics found throughout the entirety of the Western canon. Aeneid (Dryden) is an improvement though.

I prefer the translations of the Upanishads and Bhagavad Gita over Plato or Aristotle - and when reviewed in hindsight, the ideas entertained by the Vedic Indians are still applicable even today on the cosmic scale, whereas Plato seemed like he was just pulling unsubstantiated things out of his ass (and there's even some evidence that Plato and his successors took their best ideas from the Upanishads).

Other notable post-modern authors are frequently annoying to read since their works are typically laden with platitudes and triteness glued together by dry, workmanlike prose (often pleasant to read, but nothing that evokes a visceral emotional and/or mental response). Very few exceptions to this rule even with the "best" of them beyond a few paragraphs here and there - and I think it's awful how Infinite Jest has influenced an entire generation of budding authors.
>>
>>8644052
cool blog
>>
>>8644052
>you can see what I think of them from the pic.
do you disagree with those ideas, OP?
>>
>>8644052
>20 years old
>STEMfag
>"here's my rating"

no thanks
>>
>>8644734

They sound like the sort of shit you'd find in the Alchemist - only they're buried under an autistic level of detail to historical events.
>>
>>8644052

those are some actually decent onions, I can agree with most of them
>>
>>8644052
Start a blog ore some thing
>>
>>8644052
the second quote isn't leo tolstoy's it's of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kozma_Prutkov who was a collective nom de plume of another tolstoy, alexey konstantinovich, and his three cousins
>>
>>8644052
wow
>>
I like it when people put this much effort into bait
>>
File: wesleeee.jpg (12KB, 300x178px) Image search: [Google]
wesleeee.jpg
12KB, 300x178px
>three thousand years later people still don't get Homer
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.