[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you recommend I read before I hit age 30?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 11

I turn 28 in a month. I've started to finally notice time and age. As a teenager and early 20 something I felt like I had all the time in the world to read. With the responsibilities of daily life eating up a lot of time in the past three years I realized how much wasn't spent reading. I'd like to remedy this in the next couple years and read 2-4 books a month and resist the temptation of rereads.

Here is a list of my favorites:

Don Quixote - Cervantes
The Bluest Eye - Morrison
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Twain
Stoner - Williams
Blood Meridian - McCarthy
The Fifth Head of Cerberus - Wolfe
Different Seasons - Stephen King
Rape: A Love Story - Oates
Invisible Cities - Calvino
After Dark - Murakami
Dhalgren - Delaney
The Sound and the Fury - Faulkner(Mostly the first chapter)
>>
>>8641322
Schopenhauer's 'On Women'
My twisted world
Mein Kampf

In short, grow up and take the redpill
>>
>>8641322
Dubliners by Joyce, I don't know about the rest but it's the comfiest book I ever read.
>>
>>8641340

boom

Added to the list. I've only read the story with the man in the park. That was a fun one to deconstruct in high school :)
>>
>>8641322
Where are you from? What do you like? What do you want to read? Might help shape your choices a bit.
>>
>>8641349
For example, if you quixotic adventures, the good soldier svejk is almost a natural extension of that, with a hapless czech man navigating his way around Bohemia in WW1.
>>
>>8641367

I'm from Florida, U.S.

What do I want to read?

I want to read things that will stay with me. Stoner and Blood Meridian had that affect. I think the reason why I can never get 50 pages into something like Gravity's Rainbow is because I feel like I'm not gaining anything from the text. Maybe there is an order of books I didn't read to really pull anything from the text.
>>
>>8641374
>the good soldier svejk

I just looked this up on amazon and it looks fantastic. The only thing that makes me a little worried is that someone compared it to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy of which I am not a fan.
>>
>>8641382
Hemingway is absolutely everything an almost 30-year old needs. Admittedly, I think his writing style is shit, especially in For Whom the Bell Tolls, but afterwards it does stay with you. Maybe read Thomas Wolfe (not Tom Wolfe of Kool-Aid white suit fame) as well, Faulkner dug him.

I think not having read Orwell's 1984 or Huxley's Brave New World is a disability in this day and age, no matter how much people shit on them here. They're kind of must-reads.

In terms of American authors, I fucking loved Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey, he doesn't get enough love on here.
>>
>>8641395
>Orwell's 1984 or Huxley's Brave New World

Sadly they were forced on me in middle school at a time that I couldn't appreciate them. I think that's why they get the poor reception on the internet these days.
>>
>>8641385
The Good Soldier Svejk is actually likeable though. I didn't 'get' Hitchhiker's guide myself, but Svejk is quite the old style comedy. It's also one of Czech republic's most famous literary heroes, I ended up reading it because my gf is from there and it's her dad's favourite book.
>>
>>8641416

Definitely adding to the list.
>>
>>8641329
Go back to pol, turd. And eat a weenie on the way, since you hate women so much.
>>
>>8641329

suck a dick
>>
>>8641395
>Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey

Is this a travel book?
>>
>>8641322
Savage Detectives
Pale Fire
Superintelligence
Suttree
Wise Blood
The Tunnel
Stand on Zanzibar
>>
File: nothing_dies-396x600.jpg (34KB, 396x600px) Image search: [Google]
nothing_dies-396x600.jpg
34KB, 396x600px
J W Dunne

An Experiment with Time is a book by the British aeronautical engineer J. W. Dunne on the subjects of precognitive dreams and a theory of time which he called Serialism. First published in March 1927, it was widely read and his ideas were explored by several other authors, especially by J. B. Priestley. He published three sequels; The Serial Universe, The New Immortality, and Nothing Dies.

The first part of the book describes many precognitive dreams, most of which Dunne himself had experienced.

The second part of the book sets out a theory to try and explain them. This is, simply put, that all moments in time are present together. Anyone could see their own birth, life and death in the same instant, were it not for the human consciousness, which focuses attention on a "now" which travels through time at a fixed rate.

This means there are different kinds of "time": one kind is just one direction in the four-dimensional landscape of spacetime, as fixed as a map, while another kind of time is needed to explain the moment of "now" which travels across the map in the direction of map-time and which we experience.

Dunne believes that these multiple kinds of time lead to a complete rethink of the way that we understand both time and consciousness.

According to Dunne, whilst wakeful attention prevents us from seeing outside of the part of time we are "meant" to look at, whilst we are dreaming we have the ability to recall all of our timeline without the restriction of focused attention. This allows fragments of our future to appear in pre-cognitive dreams. Other consequences include the phenomenon known as Deja vu and the existence of life after death
>>
File: J W Dunne.jpg (65KB, 212x320px) Image search: [Google]
J W Dunne.jpg
65KB, 212x320px
Dunne's theory of time has parallels in many other scientific and metaphysical theories. The Aboriginal people of Australia, for example, believe that the Dreamtime exists simultaneously in the present, past and future, and that this is the objective truth of time, linear time being a creation of human consciousness and therefore subjective. Kabbalah, Taoism and indeed most mystical traditions have always posited that waking consciousness allows awareness of reality and time in only a limited way and that it is in the sleeping state that the mind can go free into the multi-dimensional reality of time and space (examples: "Dreams are the wandering of the spirit through all nine heavens and nine earths," The Secret of the Golden Flower, trans. Richard Wilhelm). Similarly, all mystery traditions speak of the immortal and temporal selves which exist simultaneously both within time and space and without.
>>
File: An_Experiment_With_Time.png (55KB, 424x600px) Image search: [Google]
An_Experiment_With_Time.png
55KB, 424x600px
Through years of experimentation with precognitive dreams and hypnagogic states Dunne posited that our experience of time as linear was an illusion brought about by human consciousness. Dunne argued that past, present and future were in fact simultaneous and only experienced sequentially because of our mental perception of them. It was his belief that in the dream state, the mind was not shackled in this way and was able to perceive events in the past and future with equal facility.

archive.org/details/AnExperimentWithTime
>>
File: Labyrinth of Time.jpg (36KB, 321x499px) Image search: [Google]
Labyrinth of Time.jpg
36KB, 321x499px
Anthony Peake - The Labyrinth of Time

youtube.com/watch?v=g7RGbBk0Lfc

youtube.com/watch?v=-Q2gHDQc0Wk

In The Labyrinth of Time, Anthony Peake explores the relationship between consciousness and reality, and in the process puts forward an amazing hypothesis that can explain many enigmatic phenomena, including deja vu, precognition, near-death experience, and altered states. It features a cutting-edge account of modern time theory covering "time slips," precognitive dreams, and the elasticity of time during moments of extreme stress, near-death experience, and certain stages of hypnotic trance. The Labyrinth of Time is as compelling and persuasive as Peake's groundbreaking Is There Life After Death? and The Daemon.
>>
>>8641340
Dubliners is wonderful, especially The Dead.

After that read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Then you're ready to tackle the big one - Ulysses.
>>
>>8643286
>Then you're ready to tackle the big one - Ulysses.

Open here.

I think Ulysses might have to wait until my 30s.
>>
>>8643088
>Anthony Peake - The Labyrinth of Time

Is this a meme or a legit rec?
>>
>T H E B I B L E
>Divine Comedy
>Brothers Karamazov
>War and Peace
>Fear and Trembling
>>
>>8641395
Nothing is a must read
>>
>>8643588

No shit edge lord.
>>
>>8641322
>You have two years
Read all of Dickens and all of Twain and all of Tolstoy.
Learn Greek so you can start on Homer when you turn 30.
>>
The magic mountain would be perfect for you
>>
>>8643644
This post is a must read
>>
my diary desu
>>
>>8641395
>Edward Abbey,

Thoughts on The Monkey Wrench Gang?
>>
What are books that you should only read after 30, as a more mature person though?
>>
>>8644031
Proust, the summa, the mahabharata.
>>
>>8644070
>mahabharata

Honest question. If I'm not religious would I get something out of it?
>>
>>8644031

Nothing. You should be re-reading whatever books anyone says in reply to this.
>>
>>8644457

After 40?
>>
>>8641322
I think you would enjoy Winesburg, Ohio.
>>
>>8641340
Comfier than The Old Man and the Sea?
>>
>>8641322
Moby-Dick if you haven't already. Got to try the Dick.
>>
>>8644780

OP here

I read and loved it. Just not the descriptions of the fish.
>>
>>8641340
>comfy
All dubliners did to me was make me paranoid that I was letting my life slip by. That is like, the opposite of comfy
>>
>>8644766
it's not comfier than The Old Man and the Sea
>>
>>8641329

kill yourself
>>
>>8641340

>tfw talking to a cute korean girl about lit
>tfw she mentions dubliners is her favorite book

..sometimes >tfwgf can be suffering
>>
>>8641329
Shut the fuck up
>>
File: American Wilderness, Lauren Marx.jpg (928KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
American Wilderness, Lauren Marx.jpg
928KB, 1280x1707px
>>8641322
Republic, Plato
Irrational Man, William Barret
The Golden Sayings, Epictetus
Critique of Pure Reason, Kant

If you didn't as an adolescent:

Call of the Wild, Jack London
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Caroll
Watership Down, Richard Adams
The Irish Myths (Cuchulain, Diarmuid, the Tuatha de Danann, Fionn mac Cumhaill, etc.,.)

If you enjoy poetry:

Sappho
Yeats
Tennyson
Basho

>>8641329
>unironically referencing The Matrix

Grow up and take the redpill.
>>
>>8646095
>The Irish Myths (Cuchulain, Diarmuid, the Tuatha de Danann, Fionn mac Cumhaill, etc.,.)

I'll have to check these out.
>>
>>8646095
>Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Caroll
Should I re-read it if I already did it as a kid?
>>
>>8646704
>Should I re-read it if I already did it as a kid?

yah
>>
La Tregua, Mario Benedetti

and read it when you're 60
>>
The Hound of The Baskervilles- Doyle
Eugene Onegin- Pushkin
The Brothers Karamazov
Waiting for Godot- Beckett
Meditations- Marcus Aurelius
All Quiet on the Western Front- Remarque
>>8641322
Invisible Cities is great and pretty short. You should start with this. It took me 2-3ish hours to read it and I usually can't sit for longer than an hour straight without distraction.
>>
>>8647666

OP here. I listed Invisible Cities as a favorite...
>>
>>8644445
>If I'm not religious would I get something out of it?

It's just a story. Do you refuse to read Lord of the Rings because LARPers exist?
>>
>>8647858

If I'm being sincere they do affect my enjoyment of the series...
>>
>>8647848
Ah sorry. I was doing something else while looking at your post. Thought that was your "to read" list.
>>
>>8641322
Hamlet, if you haven't already. Very much a young man's play.
>>
>>8641329
You're too aware for this board, but I commend you for coming into the lefty-cuck lion's den.
>>
>>8648042
>You're too aware for this board, but I commend you for coming into the lefty-cuck lion's den.

pls stop
>>
>>8648013

I really enjoyed Othello.
>>
>>8643679
this
>>
>>8647302
seconded
>>
>>8641322
Those are some solid favorites my man.
You should pick up The Best of Gene Wolfe if you haven't. Specifically you need to read The Death of Dr Island.
And you seem like you'd love Joyce and Borges if you haven't tried them. Pick up a copy of Borges' Labryinths and Dubliners, but know that the real reason your reading Dubliners is to then read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Also looks like you need some John Crowley in your life. Check out The Deep, it's short, and that should let you know if you like him.
>>
File: 1464746699372.jpg (215KB, 700x1046px) Image search: [Google]
1464746699372.jpg
215KB, 700x1046px
The Odyssey. It should be a required reading for every young man setting for adventure.

Moral : Clever Odysseus outsmarts everyone on his way back home from Troy. Pretty boy Paris, heroic Hector or alpha Agamemnon all fell into the shadow of history. Cunning > everything.
>>
>>8649212
>Check out The Deep, it's short, and that should let you know if you like him.

OP here.

I have a few of his books sitting on my shelf so I have no excuse why I haven't read him.
>>
>>8649429
>praising cunning
Are you fucking memeing me right now
>>
>>8649765

I'll meme your asshole
>>
>>8641322
holy bible. all the way man. im reading it twice straight through, just starting new testament i still dont have any real gray hair
>>
>>8641329
This is such a bad pasta and I can't believe people are falling for it.
>>
>>8641322
My Struggle - Karl Ove Knausgaard
>>
>>8651607
>My Struggle - Karl Ove Knausgaard

I feel like I would get more out of it if I was older.
>>
>>8651718
The first book is a coming of age novel tbqh.
>>
>>8641322
Is nearing 30 scary? It sounds pretty terrifying to me, although it definitely depends on what stage of life you're in. My fear is mainly that I won't develop at all in the ways I would like to by that age (i.e., if my career is shit and I still haven't had decent relationships). It's dumb for me to worry about this at 18, but I can't help it.
>>
>>8651735

Being into literature comes with existentialist dread. There is no escaping it if you are someone who looks inward. I would freaking kill to be 18 again. Thinking about it makes my heart ache.
>>
>>8641385
>The only thing that makes me a little worried is that someone compared it to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy of which I am not a fan.
Whoever said that is a massive retard.

I'm afraid you won't get 90% of the shit in Svejk if you're not European though, and specifically from a country in the former Austro-Hungarian empire. Even linguistically, I have no fucking idea how most of it would sound in, or even be translated to English.
>>
File: 2014+12knausgard.jpg (534KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
2014+12knausgard.jpg
534KB, 1280x800px
>>8651718
In this case I think the books (at least the first two, that's as far as I've gotten) work best to prepare you for what being older is like. The first book has prepared me mentally for death in my family and the second book has prepared me for the later stages of love.

By the way, reading My Struggle Volume 2 while in a committed relationship is a wonderful experience.
>>
>>8651735

Yes, it is scary. I didn't realize it or think about aging at all until I was 25. Then the realization of time passing hit me: I was no longer choosing my life I was instead following up on my old choices. I started to notice physical changes in my body (losing hair, gaining weight). My interests changed and that was a scary thing in itself. I play less video games now and read more books. Not as many as I read when 10-13, but more than I read when I was 16-18.

Thinking of the year 2001 and the words "fifteen years ago" do not seem like they should go together. As 30 neared I started to realize that certain things which seemed so easy before are no longer so easy. Going back to college at 30 is absurd, even starting a PhD program is strange.

I see people and am shocked at the youth in their faces. When I was in college I never thought it was so great. I never realized the time was a time for freedom and mistakes. I only thought about the next exam and not to be late for class. I thought about MMOs and staying up late working on computer science projects, about A-B trees. I would kill for that sort of distraction now if I got the feelings of having my whole life in front of me again.
>>
>>8651952
>think about aging at all until I was 25.

Op here.

Yup, that's when the weight of age came crushing down.

At 27 going on 28 I feel slight panic.
>>
>>8648013
way overrated, if anything macbeth has stuck with me the most
>>
>>8652935

You can't overate Hamlet.
>>
>>8651735
existential crisis is around 25, perhaps 20 if you are smart, otherwise you are a late bloomer or american
>>
>>8651800
That's part of what scares me. I don't feel like I'm really enjoying myself but I don't know how to. I barely have any friends (I've switched schools a lot) and I'm just scared that I'll still be like this at 30. I'm not sure I could handle that.
>>
>>8653290

STOP FUCKING AROUND THEN

Go be reckless while you still can you fucking idiot.
>>
>>8653283
I just turned 25 and the existential dread is intense. There is no longer any talk of potential, of ambition, of future choices. You're essentially trapped in the quagmire of adult life, forced for the most part either to submit to a dreary routine for the sake of maintaining your image as a legitimate and responsible adult, or being viewed at best as the kind of weirdo who failed to take advantage of his youth and who is now desperately hoping for a second shot and being both pitied and humiliated for that very reason. Take me. Until I reached 25 I was a cute, handsome, optimistic guy who everybody thought would blossom at some point. I was envied for my subtle charm and charisma, I was doted upon for my flawless appearance and I was lusted for by more girls than I care to remember. But after my twenty-fifth birthday I found myself abandoned on the sidewalk of life in a competitive, materialistic society in which the greatest assets an individual can possess are youth, wealth and fame. I had none of these things, and no longer was I considered capable of attaining them. I considered desperately seeking re-entry into the building from whose doors I had been suddenly shoved, but through the glass I could already see another young man, as intelligent and handsome as I had been, receiving the attention I had received until only lately. It would have been humiliating to walk back in and demand attention from individuals who had obviously identified a superior recipient of said attention. And so I did as most people do. I sacrificed my ambitions and desires for the sake of earning the money necessary to do no more than escape this world which harmed me at every opportunity I allowed it to. Eventually I realized this harm it self was not benefiting me at all, nor was the sensitivity which allowed such harm to be inflicted, and so I became a cold and callous husk, barely listening to music, avoiding all relationships with others, denouncing even my own family members as being alien to me. I had become an adult. I was now nothing more than another reluctant steward of society, maintaining its essential structure while also encouraging its development and supposed "advancement", an advancement which only sickened and frustrated me. I sit here now at the of thirty-six, my best years entirely behind me, my body worthless, my mind weary, the favorite part of my day being those minutes in bed at night when the prospect of dreaming of myself as a younger man fills me with sickly rapture. The highlight of the last ten years was a dream I experienced at night in October 2012 when a girl rested her head on my shoulder and held my hand. It gets worse, often.
>>
At 15, you think of your 20
at 20 you think of your 25
at 25, you think of your 30
at 30, well this one is big, you think of your 35 and 40
at 35, you think of your 40 and 45
at 40, you think of your 50
at 45 you think of you 55 and 60

until 25 you think about your pleasures ahead

at 25, you wonder whether hedonism is all there is, but you fail to find an escape, especially to find a solution on your own
you clearly despise more and more to be alone
(this applies to men only, since women cannot be alone naturally)

at 30 you still have not seen anything outside hedonism, so you stick to it

at 35 you fully know that trying to keep being a normie is draining and requires means that you do not have, even worse, means that other people have, more or less for free or without much effort, but not you [typically for housing, where the babyboomers have the power on the estate market]

at 40 you begin to think that being a normie is worth it, especially if you think that 30-yo gf is not cucking you or bear ''your'' child
at 45, you wonder, jsut like your gf approaching 40, whether breaking up is not an option and you want to ''offer the best to your kids'', you go fantasizing about being a fullon libertarian with a light touch of leftism, so that you can justify sticking to hedonism and helping your kids, but clearly, and you are even pride of this, you stick to playing by the rules of the game of the baby boomers so that perhaps, one day, you would have all their riches

at 50, you just want to retire and see your daughter avoid marrying (whatever you put behind) ''the pleb'' but you are happy that some guy chooses to provide for her (just like you did at his age). You want your children to find a job instead of costing you money, especially the boy since boys end up too many times back to their room (for a few years)
>>
>>8653325
>>at 50, you just want to retire and see your daughter avoid marrying (whatever you put behind) ''the pleb'' but you are happy that some guy chooses to provide for her

But you had her at 40, she's only 10. Do you need a kebab removal service in your house.
>>
>>8651913
>"By the way, reading My Struggle Volume 2 while in a committed relationship is a wonderful experience"

Posts like this exhaust me. Can you not post about relationships on this board please? It's emotionally draining and very unkind.
>>
>>8641322
>I've started to finally notice time and age.
Soon you will notice the growth of the Anti-library. You look at a book and estimate how long it will take you to read it. As you age that is measured against how much time you have left, which becomes a very conceivable amount of time. A century is 36,500 days, a frighteningly small number. At 30 you've already lived 10,950.
I'm sorry if this seems like thuggery, most pointing to finity is, but the anti-library will grow and the best response is to really choose wisely.
I enjoyed shitty films when i was a teen, like dumb horror or action cheese fests. Now i can't give em the hour, they just aren't worth it.
>>
>>8641322
On Shortness of Life and Letters from a Stoic by Seneca.
>>
>>8653325

JFC I didn't make this thread to cry. Stop being correct anon.
>>
>>8653341
> soon you will notice the growth of the Anti-library.

This is what beats on my bedroom door before I sleep. What interrupts me during a nice conversation at my local coffee shop. Time has now become finite. The books I will never reads are being burned from the recesses of my mind the never entered in the first place.
>>
>>8653320
>>I just turned 25 and the existential dread is intense.
Yeah it is the peak. After 30 you go back to being mindless and follow the flow of a average job and average relationship
>>
>>8653337
yeah it is more of a sweet certitude that your daughter will do well without too much work on your side.
>>
>>8653325
at 65, After some of your acquaintances have died or been ill, You fear cancer more and more and you think that, all those years, your wife was right to be a ball breaker about pesticides on apples and salads and that she sticks to organic products.

your 60 yo wife drags you to some ''meditation learning course'' where you are taught that ''the capitalist society is wrong in making people consume more and more and happiness is just letting go'' and you must learn to ''follow your breath'' while crossing your legs 15 minutes a day. It hurts your knees too much to do it, so you do not do it.

You are also at peace with cucking. You even think that it is expected and that ''everybody is a cuck anyway''.

you tell your children that it is worth it to be a normie.
>>
File: 1456289561194.jpg (46KB, 858x429px) Image search: [Google]
1456289561194.jpg
46KB, 858x429px
>>8652070
Fuck, 27 going 28, feeling that panic now.

Fortunately, I've got a good career and started with the greeks.

>tfw no gf
>>
>>8653297
What did he mean by this?
>>
There is also the suicidal phase, as the opposite of going full hedonism (well full hedonism with the very few means that you have).

But of course, you know that you are too scared to pull it off and even worse, you hear that ''suicide is for pussies'', plus you tell yourself that it would make your mom cry. So you stick to hedonism and try to make your life full of ''good moments''
>>
get laid before you become a wizard
>>
>>8653575

I'm married, does that count?
>>
>>8651952
Damn anon. This really made me think
>>
>>8654759

We are coming apart...
>>
>>8643583
This anon is right. Read all of this plus the greek/roman classics

Also Proust
>>
>>8654759
Good. I meant every word.
>>
>>8644004
not >>8641395, but Desert Solitaire is one of my favorite non-fictions, and The Monkey Wrench Gang is tied with 2666 and possibly The Master and Margarita as my favorite of all time.

I've read a little over half of Abbey's fiction, and I've loved everything but Black Sun, which is a steaming pile of shit.
>>
>>8651952
I started panicking about aging at age 17

>>8653482
>started with the greeks.
what does this mean
>>
>>8653320
Did you age 11 years writing this?
>>
File: JUST.jpg (114KB, 586x472px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
114KB, 586x472px
>>8653320
Remind me to not end up like you
>>
>>8655538

Pull the trigger.
>>
>>8641403
then reread them, they're worth it
>>
>>8643588
NECK urself senpai
>>
bvonpm
>>
>>8641322
You should read Whatever and The Elementary Particles by Houellebecq.
>>
>>8656739
>The Elementary Particles by Houellebecq.

pornographic
>>
>>8657048
Really makes you think though.
>>
>>8657255

sex
>>
>>8658247
Huh?
>>
>>8641322
>Blood Meridian

>Ctrl+F "The Road"
>no results

You disappoint me, /lit/
>>
>>8651808
you're half-right. if you're not from one of those regions, half of the shit will go right over your head unless you have someone actually from there, to ask questions about the small Czech "in-jokes", however it's still great.
>>
File: 1468176243209.jpg (115KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1468176243209.jpg
115KB, 1024x1024px
>>8651952
You're still young, I have these feelings myself (age 26)

however,

you're going to be age 40, 50, 60 sooner than later... and you'll look back on when you were 30, and thinking what an idiot you were for killing those opportunities off because you kept stressing about how you "were an old man"... at fucking 30.

You do feel like you're getting older but don't let it consume you, because it will fuck you up.
>>
>>8658533
i think you're on the wrong website
>>
>>8641322
Read the memoir of Ulysses S. Grant, he was the ultimate American success story. He went from a middle aged loser and military dropout to the supreme commander of the union army to the presidency within a short amount of time.
>>
>>8658603
Also it is is supposedly ghost written by Mark Twain.
>>
>>8641322
By the time I turned 30 I realized that I should read what sounded interesting to me, and not what I SHOULD read.
>>
>>8658533

I listed it in the op.
>>
>>8658603
>memoir of Ulysses S. Gran

I'm going to grab the Library of America version. Thanks.
>>
>>8658618

I like reading important and challenging reads. That is what is important to me.
>>
>>8658741
Here's some recs (in order):
Heraclitus fragments
Aristotle's Organon
Sum of Logic - William of Ockham
Summa Theologica - Aquinas
Critique of Pure Reason - Kant
Phenomenology of Spirit - Hegel
Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus - Wittgenstein
Being and Time - Heidegger
Totality and Infinity - Levinas
Differance - Derrida

Go nuts
Thread posts: 126
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.