[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plato or Aristotle, /lit/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

File: athens.jpg (251KB, 1400x956px) Image search: [Google]
athens.jpg
251KB, 1400x956px
Plato or Aristotle, /lit/?
>>
>>8641207
I like both
>>
>>8641207
Both
>>
>>8641207
Aristotle. Plato was 10 times the writer that Aristotle was tho.
>>
Kinda both but Plato needs to be stressed more today
>>
>>8641341
>implying you can judge Aristotle's writing when all we have are his notes translated from Arabic and the dialogues have been lost to time
>forgetting that Cicero called him "the silver tongued aristotle"
Wew
>>
>>8641207
Diogenes
>>
>implying they are mutually exclusive
>>
Heraclitus.
>>
>>8641207
considering I just wrote a midterm on aristotle, im gonna go with plato.
>>
>>8642488
>>8642473

Everyone can see through you.
>>
>>8642506
Heraclitus would approve. I am only a process.
>>
The guy holding the universe in the bottom right. Hipparchus.
>>
I'm still reading Plato so I can't tell.
>>
Name a book of Aristotle's that's as pleasurable to read as any of Plato's.
>>
>>8642570
This is true, plato is also in parts a literary theorist. Unlike Ari he uses his dramatic techniques on a meta level to deliver his thesis. Always thought that was pretty cool.
>>
>>8642506
Yes, stand out of my sunlight
>>
>>8642570
>>8642592
See
>>8641386
>>
>>8643421
Right, the victory goes to Aristotle, who is theoretically a gripping read in the inaccessible original.
>>
Aristotle was one of the most damaging human beings in the history of western thought.

Maybe only Copernicus and Darwin are ahead of him.
>>
aristotle
>>
>>8643432
this bait? original? inaccessible = interesting?
by the way, supposedly Aristotle had written dialogues of his own, although that would just make him into a follower of a trend set by Plato
>>
>>8641207
Pl8o
>>
>>8643549
yep
>>
>>8642473
>>8642628
>hurr durr le get out of my sunlight meme xD

Diogenes fags are so tiring.
>>
>>8641207
>muh city is like da soul amirite sooo deep!
>muh Forms
>philosophers master race hahaha amirite amirite
Plato was a retard and Aristotle is the clearest thinker ever to grace this earth.
>>
>>8643704
You are even dumber than Aristotle
>>
>>8643421
we're obviously evaluating them by what has survived. while its extremely disheartening that none of his dialogues survived in full, engaging in this type of speculation will get us nowhere

>>8643704
you'd think that someone who praises aristotle this much would have at least as much respect as he did towards his teacher

>>8641207
do note that viewing aristotle and plato as in philosophical opposition to each other is an idea that wasn't entirely present during antiquity. most philosophers then viewed both as having a unified system of thought. while its certainly mistaken to say that aristotle had no criticisms of plato, the fact that they thought such things would at least question the view of them being in entire opposition
>>
>>8641207
I just finished reading the Dialogues of Plato. Amazing read. I'm about to read The Republic. Anyone have a translation recommendation? I don't want to get Fagle'd.
>>
>>8643549
What are you implying here?
>>
>>8644918
He's implying that everything is relative. Ignore him.
>>
>>8641207
Aristotle set physics back 1000 years.
Plato grasped the importance of abstract entities, i.e. mathematics, indispensable to modern physics.
>>
>>8641207
aris>plato
>>
>>8644930
Aristotle's philosophy is based around deduction, literally an abstraction.
>>
As for science, Aristotle got almost everything generally right, Plato got almost everything generally wrong, what argument is to be had there?
As far as politics/ethics go, Plato advocated totalitarianism, while Aristotle vouched for realpolitik, so they're both kind of retarded in that regard.
>>
>>8644965
>As far as politics/ethics go, Plato advocated totalitarianism, while Aristotle vouched for realpolitik, so they're both kind of retarded in that regard.
t. leftie who dreams in no borders
>>
>>8644965
You're saying real dumb shit about incredibly complex subjects

Not even trying to be a dick man but trust me you're missing out because of it
>>
>>8644917
bloom is widely regarded as the most literal one, so if you're going by that standard then pick his. it has extensive footnotes too which gives some context to things that may have been lost in translation that help you appreciate plato's genius

>>8644965
please stop reading wikipedia articles and actually tackle the texts yourself. its for your own sake
>>
>Plato
>MUH FORMS

>Aristotle
>logic, the basis to all modern sciences, influential views on morality, aesthetics, the list goes on...
>>
>>8642570

All of them.
But that's mainly because I prefer technical philosophy over literary stuff anyways.

>>8644930

Aristotle invented the first system of logic. Unlike everything else in intellectual history it was unprecedented as well. It is through advancements made on Aristotelian logic in the medieval period that the first steps towards the mathematization of physics came about in 14th century logic textbooks of the Merton School. Aristotle had much more to say about physics than Plato did. Socrates very specifically points out in the works that he gave up on natural philosophy and focused on moral philosophy and some logico-linguistic analysis. Aristotle combined that style of logico-linguistic analysis with natural philosophy and came to the most rigorous and deep understanding of physics there was at the time because of it.

Plato was a great philosopher, but Aristotle's importance and genius cannot be overstated.
>>
>>8641341
Aristotle wrote about more interesting subjects.
>>
>>8641207
Aristotle's because he was more prolific. He just didn't get the forms, man. Forms are legit.
>>
>>8643700
>Diogenes fags are so tiring.
says the sleeping pill
>>
>Okay, students, now I shall demonstrate you how we can you logic and observation to categorize our knowledge and by using deductive syllogism find out something ne...
>GUYS ITS ALL FORMS DONT YOU SEE? EVERYTHING IS FORMS! WE HAVE VIRTUE BECAUSE OF VIRTUE FORMS, I HAVE A DICK BECAUSE THERE'S A DICK FORM OUT THERE. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIET. PEDERASTY IS OKAY BTW
>Fuck, Plato, are you drunk again? I swear by Zeus, I'll start my own school, you fucking wanker
>>
>>8646477
>Fuck, Plato, are you drunk again?
>Yes, by Zeus.
ftfy
>>
While people are retarded for reducing Plato's metaphysics to "muh forms", I do enjoy Aristotle's output more because I find his ideas more interesting and sensible. He definitely isn't the pseudo-mathematical physicalist that a lot of people make him out to be and I don't read philosophy for prose anyway.
>>
>>8641386
Aristotle was never lost in the Byzantine Empire, and 3/4ths of Latin translations of Aristotle were from Greek to Latin, faggo.
>>
>>8641386
There's fragments of Aristotle's dialogues and they were also shit and full of his autistic jargon. Cicero was smoking crack in this case.
>>
>>8646476
If only he had his third eye awoken, he'd be smart enough to live in a clay pot too.
>>
>>8647087
>autistic jargon
Not an argument.
>>
>>8641386
>he fell for the Arabs saved Aristotle meme
this was just pushed by John Green in his youtube ""history""" series to push the idea that the world can cooperate together and all races can live in peace hippy bullshit
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.