[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Maybe this should go on the request board or something but I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Big Brother.jpg (21KB, 180x257px) Image search: [Google]
Big Brother.jpg
21KB, 180x257px
Maybe this should go on the request board or something but I feel like you will give me better answers and it's an important question. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not much of a reader, over the course of my entire life I've probably only read 15 books tops, but I need a book recommendation to help with my A-level English Literature Coursework. The breakdown of the brief is basically that I have to compare a theme between 2 books of "literary merit", 1 from pre 2000, 1 post. I've chosen 1984 for my pre 2000 choice because I always thought the concept of a dystopia would be an interesting subject matter for a book. However, as for the post 2000 choice I have little to no idea what I could link it to, let alone what constitutes "literary merit". So, in essence I'm looking for any post 2000 recommendations for books of "literary merit" which could link through any theme to 1984 strongly enough to comprise a 4000 word essay on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>8640672
I guess do something like The Road for dystopia? Are you seriously doing A-Level Eng Lit and you don't know what literary merit might mean?

Also, it's not illegal for you to ask your teachers about this. They're actually there to help you and will probably give you a more appropriate suggestion than us.
>>
>>8640672
Jennifer Government by Max Barry. Published in 2003

Its a dustopia but the exact opposite from Orwells. Jennifer Government is an anarchocapitalist dystopia. Read the plot synopsis on wikipedia. Easy to link them.
>>
>>8640672
looking for Alaska - John Green
>>
>>8640682
>the year was 2184, and all the cereal had finally been eaten

Green has an odd way of crafting dystopias
>>
>>8640672
Obviously the Hunger Games. Who needs surveillance and mass societal indoctrination, when you got ENTERTAINMENT.

Just make up the stuff about why it has literary merit.
>>
>>8640679
well I understand the phrase, I just don't know what an examining boards standards for the phrase are.
>>
>>8640684
>year 2169 the last cereal farm is in Alaska
>>
>>8640698
The examining board have to approve the book before you can do it
>>
>>8640679
also I have asked him and he only came up with one suggestion 'The Plot Against America' by Phillip Roth. I just wanted a wider pool to choose from and possibly something with less overt links.
>>
>>8640682

I wanted so badly to submit my mind to his totalitarian essence, to give up free thought and obey. Not be indoctrinated like in those western movies, not even be reeducated. Just listen obey in the most innocent sense of the phrase.
But I lacked the discipline and he was big brother and I was a kulak and he was a comissar and I was hopelessly bourgeois and he was endlessly revolutionary. So I walked back to my Gulag and collapsed on the straw mat, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and he was a nuclear holocaust.

-John Green
>>
>>8640727
Rain = Nuclear Holocaust?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.