[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

War and Peace (Should I Continue?)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: war-and-peace-9781476789477_hr.jpg (164KB, 1400x2100px) Image search: [Google]
war-and-peace-9781476789477_hr.jpg
164KB, 1400x2100px
I tried getting into this novella about a year back after seeing an adaption of the book into a short TV mini-series. After about reading little under 1/4 of the book it began to feel like a grind. It felt like I was going through too much meaningless writing to only be exposed to a few truly good areas of the story. What's your guys' opinions? Should I return to War and Peace if it is truly a notable work, or should I simply leave it partially unread?
>>
>>8640478
Tolstoy was a behemothly overrated hack. Your critique sums up his problems nicely. The mini-series is far more concise.

t. millennial pleb
>>
Read whatever you want. If it bores you put it down. Ezra Pound said people are fools who read the classics because they're told to and not because they enjoy them. Novels are for pleasure, it's not homework. You don't have to read War & Peace if you don't want to. A lot of people find it tremendously good and interesting, but if you don't, go do something you do enjoy. Life is not that perplexing.
>>
>>8640493
this. Tolstoy is only good for the way he could observe life. You can't learn much about literature from him, and W&P, regardless, is bloated and relatively substanceless compared to many other works.
>>
File: k.jpg (23KB, 228x346px) Image search: [Google]
k.jpg
23KB, 228x346px
Check out Life And Fate instead.
It's like War And Peace, but not as faggy.
>>
>>8640493
>>8640500

wew plab
>>
>>8640502
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to take a look at it sometime.
>>
>>8640478
>novella
Patrick your weenus is showing.
>>
>>8641070
Pretty fucking pathetic I mixed up the proper term for one of the longest books of the 19th century. (I need to think before I post)
>>
>>8640478
It has it ups and downs
Give it another shot, if you can't take anymore after the war in Russia starts just give up.

PS:Skip the huntinig part
>>
I stopped at page 250 a year ago and never picked it up again, but then again I was reading it in german.
>>
I got about 100 pages into the opening tea partyy scene and tapped out
>>
>>8640478
i think tolstoy had one of the most insightful minds for human interaction of any author. but if that's not your thing there's no point in forcing yourself through it. Anna Karenina is definitely better.
>>
I just finished the second part and it's a bit meh. I enjoyed the first part a bit though so maybe there's something in it for me.
>>
I read Tolstoy's The Cossacks this month and really enjoyed it. I think too many people begin with one of his larger tomes and get put off, when they could be reading his shorter works like The Cossacks, Hadji Murat, or The Death Of Ivan Ilyich.
>>
War and Peace really grew on me as a read it. There is a lot of chaff in it though. It was also kinda hard to get into. He really should have had an editor.
>>
War & Peace was something that he wrote as a very young man and is not a mature work. I'll agree that the novel is massively overrated by Tolstoy himself is a fantastic writer.
>>
>>8640478
Very heavy handed in trying to make it clear it was will of people why things happened. Like 100 fucking pages saying the same thing. And the word sardonic was used like a gorilla on times. May just be the translation as my understanding is Russian contains more precise words than English. This book was not my fave
>>
>>8642439
But his other short works suck.

I will agree that Hadji Murat is not so bad considering it was late-Tolstoy, and Cossacks was enjoyable. But who wants to read Father Sergius, Kreutzer Sonata, fuck-you-no-fun-allowed Ivan Ilyich, What is Art style Tolstoy?

If you want to like Tolstoy you have to read things like Cossacks, Sebastopol Sketches, etc, and stop chronologically at Anna Karenina.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.