[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lovecraft

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (49KB, 417x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 417x540px
How do I into Lovecraft? Start with Call of Cthulhu? Is there a chronology to follow?
>>
>>8639044
Bump for interest as I'm considering starting Lovecraft as well.
>>
>>8639044
Lovecraft's starter kit :

The Call of Cthulhu
At the Mountains of Madness
The Dunwich Horror
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Colour Out of Space
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
Herbert West–Reanimator
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath

I read it first in that order, but it doesn't really matter
>>
>>8639103
Forgot Dagon and Cool Air
>>
>>8639044
I hate these kinds of pictures. I get the point, but don't these artists realize that by the time the giant marine creature got just below the ship; the ship itself would get ass fucked by the expanding waters from the creatures rise.
>>
>>8639327
Came here to post this. Also, it's shadow would be visible from the ship
>>
File: cat-fish.gif (2MB, 400x189px) Image search: [Google]
cat-fish.gif
2MB, 400x189px
>>8639044
>>8639103
just avoid case of charles deter ward (it is repetetive and a less good version of another story)
>>
>>8639327
>>8639350
This is fiction/fantasy we're talking about.
>>
>>8639044
Read Michel Houellebecq's book on him.
>>
>>8639103
I think these are too advanced, especially at the mountains of madness and the colour out of space. I think OP should get into
OP should start with the smaller tales. The music of eric zann, cool air, and pickman's model all deliver the impact that follows horror from the unknown while also being short enough for the reader to handle lovecraft's prose.
>>
You can literally just go download his entire anthology as an eBook
>>
>>8639624
>mountains madness
>too advanced

So, listen up. It was the early 1900's and people didn't know shit about science back then, but I gotta tell ya. The natural world is scary as shit and don't go poking around in it. I was poking around in it. And brother, you are not gonna believe what I found. It's just like my buddy the Mad Arab said in his obscure book of exposition that I constantly lament having read. Human life is small and recent and dwarfed by that big ass shit that came from other planets and lived on earth way before us in places we ought not go poking around in. But like I told you, I went poking around in it. In those aeon-dead places, and I saw some scary-ass shit. It was so scary, I'm not even gonna tell you. I don't think I even can tell you. I'm not entirely certain human words can explain how scary this shit was. But okay. Since it's what you came for. It was like a tentacle monster. But like with a bugs face? God it was scary. Scary and inhuman and inhabiting an aeon-dead land just like one described by my good buddy The Mad Arab in his obscure book of exposition which, did I mention this? Oh gosh this shit was so scary I kept thinking how much I really shouldn't have read that book. And this tentacle monster, it was chasing me. And it was making this weird inhuman sound. Of course it wasn't human so naturally the sound it made was inhuman. And gosh it was pretty frikin scary and I was thinking how the sound it made was just like a sound described by my bud The Mad Arab cause he had a dream about it once. Anyway I just managed to escape so lemme tell ya. The natural world is some scary ass shit. Don't go pokin around in it.
>>
File: 1476181142674.jpg (14KB, 599x337px) Image search: [Google]
1476181142674.jpg
14KB, 599x337px
>>8639624

If you consider Lovecraft to be "advanced literature" in any way then you should leave
>>
why do i never see any love for Rats in the Walls
>>
Don't have any expectations, you probably aren't going to like it at first, until you get used to his style,

I'd recommed short stories ("dagon", or "the hound") at first - You will probably get bored by "Mountains of madness", before it gets interesting
>>
>>8640043
his prose is kinda shitty and a new reader might be turned off by it if they have to read a longer story, and thats what I mean by too advanced. Get OP to adjust to his stories rather than throwing him straight into the cosmic cauldron.
>>
The reading order doesn't really matter at all, you can start anywhere.
>>
File: 1360374276492_1_.png (2MB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1360374276492_1_.png
2MB, 1280x800px
Read Call of Cthulhu, then Shadows over Innsmouth. The first one is not that good, but SoI is a masterpiece imo. After that, I would take Mountains of Madness or any smaller tale. Leave the Dream Cycle for later.
>>
>>8639515
why is this book controversial?, lovecraft fans talk about it as if it were a tragic accident.
>>
>>8641203
Imagine someone writing a critique of Lovecraft. Next, visualize that individual writing the critique through the lens of the most stereotypical amalgamation of French philosophy possible. Viola, you have a terrible book.
>>
>>8640043
His archaic vocabulary is certainly off-putting to many people, so that puts him on a slightly higher "difficulty" level than most horror authors.
>>
>>8641284
Archaic vocabulary? He wrote less than a hundred years ago. You should not have trouble with it.
>>
My favs:
Dreams in the Whitchhouse
At the Mountains of Madness.
It's some blasphemic literature.
>>
Having just read... 90% of lovecraft's fiction, and closing out another 2% today, here's my recommendation.

Grab Dagon, grab The Music of Eric Zahn, grab The Cats of Ulthar. These are quick and easier to get through, and get you an idea of the style. Lovecraft's prose is like swimming through molasses until you get used to it. Also, Rats in the Walls is there, in addition to being good and having one of my favorite scenes in all of lovecraft's work in it, to give you something to start looking for: Subtle to borderline screaming racism. If you look at that one and think i'm overexaggerating, you're to stop here and take a detour to "The Street". Once you're done with that, continue.

Return to the shelf, and grab whichever one of these titles intrigues you most, then repeat until you're through all of them:

Dreams in the Witch House
Shadows over Innsmouth
Herbert West: Reanimator
The Color out of space
The Call of Cthulhu

Okay, so you finished that list? Awesome! There's lots more. But that was likely a bit of a slog for some of you, it's alright, we're human here. If you feel worn down, go grab
Cool Air
The Hound
The Curse of Yig
Pickman's Model
Feeling better? let's move on. Weren't worn down? Go back to those when you are. Save 'em. Let's keep going. Now, you are probably used to lovecraft. you've got the taste. Let's grab the famous ones.
At The Mountains of Madness
The Whisperer in Darkness
The Shadow Out of Time
The Horror at Red Hook
The Haunter of the Dark
The Doom that came to Sarnath
The Dunwich Horror
Facts concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family
Okay. So, you read all that? Great! Congrats! You're probably ready for lovecraft's more unhinged work. Go track down the Dream Cycle. I don't have a good order of reading for it. You can do this, i have faith. Read them. Once you're done there, if you're still craving more, go here. Read the rest, here or in books.
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/
>>
>>8639044
Cthulhu is a big guy
>>
chronologically, like you would any other artist.
>>
>>8642548

If you include all of his works in this, this is possibly the worst advice ever.

These would be your first three.

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/lgb.aspx
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/sc.aspx
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/mg.aspx

Though this is excellent, if you're a struggling writer, for reminding you that even the best writers started out as bad writers.
>>
>>8642540
4 u
>>
File: 1473911581114.jpg (835KB, 950x800px) Image search: [Google]
1473911581114.jpg
835KB, 950x800px
>>8639103
>>8639044
Save At the Mountains of Madness for last. It is his longest (arguably his best) story and it references most of his work.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.