[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is Ligotti's fiction? What is it like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Thomas+Ligotti.jpg (62KB, 590x582px) Image search: [Google]
Thomas+Ligotti.jpg
62KB, 590x582px
How is Ligotti's fiction?

What is it like?
>>
I demand an answer!
>>
try one of the 50 billion Ligotti threads in the archive.
>>
The stuff I've read has been good, not great. Cool, never creepy or scary. That said the fucker knows how to create an atmosphere. I remember Purity being one of my favorites.
>>
>>8639867
I've had a similar experience, with the exception of The Frolic, Drink to me Only with Labyrinthine Eyes, and Dr. Thoss. That said, I've only read about 2/3 or Songs, apparently he gets better in Grimscribe and Teatro Grottesco
>>
>>8639030
Same as >>8639911
But he kinda bored me, I guess partially because of the language (My english is pretty bad). He is too kafkaesque for my taste, as much as I like the guy.
>>
>>8639911
*of

Also he has a very /x/ and /r9k/ vibe; Alb Indys is literally a shutin NEET
>>
Take the most purple prose used in the most dire of Lovecraft's writing, and develop an entire style around that. People don't put flowers in vases, they 'carry the armful of vegetation' and 'settle it in the clear fluid.'

It's audaciously bad, and whereas Lovecraft was no great writer and used purple prose to good effect towards the end of his stories, Ligotti starts, middles and ends with it and characters talk about walking to the store and seeing their daughter being eaten with the same level of hysteria and grandiosity. I get that sometimes his protagonists are usually highly educated, well-spoken people, but even before they horribly die they never lose their aristocratic and thesaurus-derived way of speaking. Not once does a character in the throes of death go, 'oh fuck,' they will always waffle on for a sentence or two before passing.

I get that realism isn't the point, but god damn.

The stories themselves aren't that creepy either, certainly nothing that approaches Lovecraft. Literally, 'my daughter got eaten' level shit. It's Flannery O'Connor with shit writing and a bent for half-assed cosmic and psychological horror. O'Connor is orders of magnitude creepier and I haven't encountered a Ligotti character that chills me as much as the killer from A Good Man...

4/10, if someone claims to be influenced by them call them out on their ability to withstand fanfic-tier writing. It's the kind of shit that would get funny youtube readings if it were any more popular.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.