[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who is the Frank Zappa of literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: QaLceJZ.jpg (587KB, 2032x2048px) Image search: [Google]
QaLceJZ.jpg
587KB, 2032x2048px
Who is the Frank Zappa of literature?
>>
I'll get this one out of the way first...
Frank Zappa
>>
>immensely talented, wastes his talent on shit jokes

pynchon, we've been over this
>>
Bob Dylan
>>
>>8638831
When Zappa met Dylan:
'I asked him if it had any Jesus in it. I said: ''Do these songs have the Big J in?'' and he said no; [but] when I took him upstairs to give him a sandwich, my dog barked at him. I told him to watch out, my dog doesn't like Christians. And he didn't laugh.'
>>
File: zappa1zu.gif (58KB, 334x350px) Image search: [Google]
zappa1zu.gif
58KB, 334x350px
>>8638809
Who is the Barishnikov of Architecture?

"writing about music is like dancing about architecture." - Zappa
>>
Someone who sucks.
>>
>>8638809
Heidegger.
>>
>>8639212
M8 you can dance about architecture. You're misunderstanding the turn of phrase severely.
>>
>>8638809
Pynchon.

Zappa's music was always very technical but the lots of the melodies had a goofy "sounding bad on purpose" type vibe used to make fun of lots of different stuff.
The humor is an acquired taste and is usually pretty dark.

Pynchon is very well studied and his prose are excellent but he also does the "wrong on purpose" thing with lots spelling or grammatical mistakes. His humor is also dark and he uses his great prose to describe pedophilic sex or a plane fight with pies. He's got that same goofy but dark type of humor that Zappa's got.

Frank Zappa loved music and knew that as far as traditional type music goes, you can't ever beat the great classical composers; this idea made him take a right turn because the best music was already made so the only thing left to do would be take it in a completely new direction.

Pynchon doesn't do interviews so this is pure speculation, but I feel like Pynchon had a similar motive. He could read something like Ulysses and know it will never be toped, so rather than trying to do something impossible he just took his work in a completely new direction.
>>
>>8639420
What a shitty perception of life you have my dear
>>
>>8639420
Wow it's sad people put so much work into developing a bad idea

Like you took time on this
>>
>>8639427
>Like you took time on this
Sure, but I'm just trying to distract myself from having no purpose or goals.

How do you spend your time?
>>
Donald Barthelme. Highly technical but with a zany sense of humor.
>>
>Who is the apple of oranges???
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.