[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Æschylus>>Sophocles>>>>>>Euripides

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1476748281442.jpg (47KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1476748281442.jpg
47KB, 960x720px
Æschylus>>Sophocles>>>>>>Euripides
>>
It's hard to rank them, but Euripides isn't that far below the other two. Come on, Aristophanes...
>>
>>8636356
I see you just read the birth of tragedy, good anon.
>>
>>8636356

I like Aeschylus much more than the others because of his bold metaphoric style. He is the only other dramatic poet who dares as much as Shakespeare. I found an article about that some time ago:

http://www.theatredatabase.com/ancient/aeschylus_007.html
>>
How do you pronounce their names?
>>
>>8636413
Personally, I say
/aJˈskaJlʌs/
but use standard pronunciations for other two.
>>
>>8636356
Just look at me, i read the Birth of Tragedy!
>>
>>8636356
Feel sorry for Euripides family. He gets shit on by Aristotle and the Neetch, but he's almost as good as golden-boy Sophocles and much more appreciable to the modern reader than Aeschylus

>>8636413
ee-skull-us
yoo-rip-ed-ees
saw-foe-cleese
Not perfect but gives you an idea.
>>
>>8636391
>>8636543
Nice assumption but wrong.
>>
Euripides > Aeschylus >>> Sophocles
>>
>>8636413
[ai̯s.kʰý.los]
[so.pʰo.klɛ̂ːs]
[eu̯.riː.pí.dɛːs]
>>
>>8636356
aristophanes, you forgot to log in
>>
>>8636356
Euripides wrote The Bacchae, that makes him better both those old fogies.
>>
>>8638260
Truth. Also Medea.

BTFO Sophobros and Aeschylfags
>>
>>8636356
The Bacchae however, is at least as good as anything by the first two.
>>
>>8636711
>to the modern reader

If that's what you want, read Menander and Terence. Some sitcoms are based wholesale on their humor,
>>
>>8638260
>>8638816
Medea/Trojan Women >>> the Bacchae
>>
Who was the one killed by a mob of women? And the one killed because an eagle drop a turtle on his head?
>>
>>8639149
Maybe it was my translation, but I found The Trojan Women to be rather barbarous. There's no drama since all the major characters are slaves unable to exert their free will, and the only emotions in the entire play are suffering and despair. It's ugly and ignoble.
>>
>>8639319
>And the one killed because an eagle drop a turtle on his head?
Aeschylus

>>8639344
>>>/hm/
>>
>>8639319
First one was Euripides
>>
The Oresteia alone ensures Aeschylus is the greatest dramatist ever.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.