[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I learn to write maximalist literature well? Can you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 220px-Infinite_jest_cover.jpg (22KB, 220x340px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Infinite_jest_cover.jpg
22KB, 220x340px
How can I learn to write maximalist literature well? Can you make everything in maximalist literature be important/entertaining, or will some of it inevitably be boring/confusing/pointless?

The only book I've read that I've heard called maximalist is Infinite Jest. What other books are there that can help, and what specifically can they teach me?
>>
lol.
>>
kys
>>
Read Dickens. The real OG of the overly Verbose game
>>
>>8634948
yikes
>>
>>8634948
>IJ
no hope for you, shit taste fag.
>>
>>8634948
Don't. There's been way too much and readers and publishers are sick of it.
>>
>>8634948
Jesus fucking Christ, why the fuck would you come to 4chan of all places and ask that? Do you really think that anyone will give you valuable advice? What you're really asking is 'How do I write a masterpiece', and if you're this bloody naive then your thoughts probably aren't that interesting to warrant a thousand page tome.
>>
>>8634948
It's all in the footnotes, son.
>>
>>8634983
I've read some of it, though I don't like the lack of quality prose. I think maximalism is almost like a test for prose quality. How much space can you fill with good prose without moving the plot along and still be entertaining?

>>8635087
Regardless I still plan to go on. Although the entire book will not be maximalist, I want to master it.

>>8635157
Because I want to learn and there's always some new insight I can discover.
>>
>>8635288
that's so gay.
>>
Since this is a semi-Infinite Jest thread I just finished the book yesterday and I was wondering whether anyone agrees with me it is about how people cope with the different ways of success or fame? That's probably not a large point of the book but I would what I'm getting at is pretty prevalent throughout the novel. I could be wrong.
>>
Study Pynchon's big novels. They are long and they contains words that refer to high-brow things and other words that refer to low-brow things like candy. That's been the template for modern literature since Pynchon, and it's one Pynchon invented. Whenever a writer sits down to write an ambitious work, he first writes the big number 1000 on a piece of paper because that's how many pages he has to aim for. Then he makes two columns, High and Low. In the High column he puts all the things he learned in school, and in the Low column he puts all the mass-market products he indulges in because in the end he's a regular guy like you or me. Then he creates a McGuffin. Then he comes up with as many funny name as he can like "Jeremiah Xbox-Lewinsky." And then he strings together a bunch of wild scenes the characters star in while they search for the McGuffin. But of course they never get it, the post-Pynchon writer must end the book abruptly because to do otherwise would be to succumb to base mass-market narrative techniques and this is art, baby. And there you have it. It's not easy to do. I only thought of one funny name, but you have to think of at least 50.
>>
>>8635288
>Charles Dickens
>Lack of quality prose

Jesus christ please be bait
>>
>>8635538
It's pretty well put together bait if it is. Let's chalk this one up to bait, sage, and never return so we don't lose sleep over the Dickens thing.
>>
>>8635538
>>8635617
Dickens is low-quality prose though. Nothing I've read of Dickens has made me think his writing was beautiful. I actually don't even think Dickens was that great at all, and that most of his value is in the plot, even though I don't particularly like his plots. I've also seen this opinion posted elsewhere on this board, so it seems like you're just calling something you don't agree with trolling.
>>
>>8635526
i love this pasta
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.