[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quick whats the best non-fiction book you've ever read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: sy5kuGf.gif (861KB, 348x298px) Image search: [Google]
sy5kuGf.gif
861KB, 348x298px
Quick whats the best non-fiction book you've ever read
>>
>>8634662
My War Gone By, I Miss it So
>>
>>8634662
l'ancien regime et la revolution
ou
considerations sur la france
>>
On Liberty is my favorite.
Practical Ethics is probably a close second though.
>>
>>8634679
oh, also forgot about the Bible
>>
>>8634689
>Bible
>Non-fiction
>>
>>8634729
>nonfiction - a branch of literature comprising works of narrative prose with or offering opinions or conjectures upon facts or reality

Seems to fit.
>>
>>8634662
Stalin:court of the red tsar by simon montefiore
>>
>>8634784
how did saul die?
>>
Ethical Intuitionism by Michael Huemer
>>
Ive been reading a lot of non fiction. Political, social religious stuff mostly. But some of my favorites are more personal. Asylum by William Seabrook, the tiger: a true story of vengeance and survival, and Lament for a Nation by George Grant.
>>
the iliad
>>
Lord of the Rings
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 330x499px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 330x499px
Deserves a laughing-crying face and a pinching hand emoji t b h
>>
File: hero_1000_faces_book_2008.jpg (29KB, 200x307px) Image search: [Google]
hero_1000_faces_book_2008.jpg
29KB, 200x307px
Pic related without a doubt
>>
>>8635072
Tried to read this years ago in high school, but couldn't really grasp it. Might give it another shot.

>>8634672
This along with Dispatches. If you want information heavy books, non-fiction about art history is usually interesting.
>>
GEB
>>
Alison Weir's Against Our Better Judgment.
>>
>>8634896
Every study Guthrie wrote on the greeks is GOATS 10/10
>>
Biological Science: the Web of Life
>>
>>8634662
Critic of Pure Reason obv.
>>
>>8634662
History of the Second World War, Winston Churchill

Took me a few years to get through all six volumes. Was worth it. Sure, it's a heavily biased view and is loaded with contemporaneous documents & transcribed speeches, but the latter are indispensable while the former is unavoidable. He's a surprisingly good writer.
>>
Capital
>>
File: man and hyena.jpg (326KB, 1800x1800px) Image search: [Google]
man and hyena.jpg
326KB, 1800x1800px
DISCOURSES ON LIVY
Machiavelli
>>
Anne Franks diary desu.
>>
>>8634662
Worm
>>
>>8634672
Great book my friend. I'd like to reread it someday
>>
Western Esotericism: A Guide for the Perplexed
>>
Dispatches by Michael Herr

Probably my favorite work about the Vietnam War
>>
Does philosophy count?
>>
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
>>
>>8634662
The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clark. If you have to pick a single book for the causes of ww1, this is the one.
>>
>>8635887
A very respectable choice.
>>
fast food nation, although of course you end up becoming yourself
>>
Hells Angels by Hunter Thompson has always been my favourite.
>>
The Disaster Artist.
>>
File: voices from chernobyl.jpg (31KB, 330x500px) Image search: [Google]
voices from chernobyl.jpg
31KB, 330x500px
thanks nobel committee
>>
>>8634662
Critique of Pure Reason by immanuel Kant

Metaphysics of Aristotle being a close second.
>>
>>8636134
Nice taste anon
>>
The Prince by Machiavelli.

Really opened my eyes as to how average people are manipulated every day.
>>
>>8636259
I've read poetics and ethics by Aristotle, would you say that I need to read anything else by him to understand Metaphysics? I thought both of them to be really dry tbqhwyf
>>
>>8634662
G.K. Chesterton's "Orthodoxy".
>>
>>8636299
>, would you say that I need to read anything else by him to understand Metaphysics?

If you have read, at least partly, Plato and the pre-socratics, then you are good to go, Metaphysics can stand very well on its own, He calls Metaphysics the "first philosophy" it is the basis, the fundamentals of his philosophy, then i´d say you can go directly to it if you want.
>>
>>
>>8635072
Had this downloaded for a while but never started it, might have to check it out
>>
>>8634662
Words and Rules by Stephen Pinker
>>
File: craigbig.jpg (53KB, 329x506px) Image search: [Google]
craigbig.jpg
53KB, 329x506px
It's an incredible read on the unimaginable horrors of war and the tenacity of the human spirit.

One of my favorite parts
>German soldier is wounded and waiting for an air evac at the airport
>Planes are full and the crews are literally pushing people out of the doors and shaking them off their wings as they take off
>Soldier decides to start crawling to Stalingrad, and eventually is passed by an artillery squad pulling a howitzer into the city
>he climbs up onto the barrel and passes out
>wakes up in the morning and sees the entire squad had sat down and froze to death during the night
>keeps crawling to Stalingrad
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.