[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>newfound hobby of isolating myself in my local library and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1433418502403.gif (982KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
1433418502403.gif
982KB, 320x287px
>newfound hobby of isolating myself in my local library and reading
>there's only shit translations and i dont want to ruin the experience
>would rather not read than read a bad translation
>haven't read in 2 weeks
what do
>>
>>8633943
Think.

You see, this is an opportunity of bettering you "stare at a perfectly white wall and attempt to understand metaphysics in one sitting". Quality hobby,
>>
Learn a second language.
>>
>>8633960
i know 3 languages already
>>
>>8633967
Learn a fourth.
>>
>>8633978
i was thinking about french despite not liking france as a country, either that or german
>>
>>8633943
start with the greeks
>>
>>8634138
Which languages do you speak?
>>
>>8636333
>fluently
swedish (inb4 memes)
english
>can understand and speak decently enough
japanese (lived in japan for a few months)
any scandinavian language
>can understand to some degree but not speak
spanish
french
>>
>>8636333
So basically all the languages I know fluenty allow me to read second tier translations while the ones I'm decent at wouldn't let me read and understand anything eloquently written.

Maybe I should finish my japanese studies
>>
>>8636939
>>fluently
>swedish
>english
Is English a first language for you or are you yet another swede overestimating your English?
>>
>>8633943
>there's only shit translations
How would you know?
>what do
Get an e reader and pirate. Or, you know, buy books.
>>
>>8636954
Considering you can't make up your own mind on that without having to ask, I think he definitely isn't overestimating his fluency in English.
>>
>>8633943
ask them to order good translation or books to learn the language.
>>
>>8636954
>Is English a first language for you
No
>are you yet another swede overestimating your English?
That's a very loaded question, it obviously depends on who you compare me to. Considering the fact that most of my philosophical endeavors have been in english I'd consider myself more well versed than a lot of native english speakers.

If it makes you feel any better I have pretty thick accent which is prominent when I'm nervous.
>>
>>8637022
I like you.
>>
>>would rather not read than read a bad translation
Cca half of my favourite books are translated, terribly. Unnatural syntax, no rhythm in the verse whatsoever, bizarre obscure words etc etc. Yet all this shit hasn't prevented me from loving then.

Read the fucking books.
>>
>>8637034
I like you too (*´∀`*)
>>
Libraries here are all part of the same system so your local library can request books from other branches and have them sent to you so they may have better translations you can ask for.
Or bring your own books to the library.
>>
>>8637039
>Read the fucking books
You're right senpai it just upsets me that I won't be able to read Kafka in german
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.