[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Early Stages of Christianity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Today I searched online for essays about the initial spread of christianity in the Roman Empire, up to the point it became the dominant religion. I was disappointed with the lack of detail in what I found. Do you know of a book on this matter which covers the decline of more traditional Roman religions and the rise of Christianity?
>>
>>8633632
Nietszche
>>
>>8633632
Harvey, Susan Ashbrook, and David G. Hunter, eds. The Oxford Handbook of Early Christian Studies. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2008.

Clark, Gillian. 2004. Christianity and Roman society. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.

Fox, Robin Lane. 1986. Pagans and Christians. San Francisco: Harper & Row.

Hopkins, Keith. 2001. A world full of gods: The strange triumph of Christianity. New York: Plume.

Rousseau, Philip. 2002. The early Christian centuries. London: Longman.
>>
>>8633721
And of course, Gibbonn who wrote both a great history of the matter in Decline, and an absolutely devastating defense of his position in

A Vindication of some passages in the fifteenth and sixteenth chapters of the History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (London: J. Dodsley, 1779).
>>
>>8633721
>>8633729
Thank you.

Out of these, which one do you feel takes the least liberties with the narratives it offers to interpret the events?
>>
>>8633801
There is no such thing as objective history. I would always trust oxford and cambridge press until there is a scandal of sorts. The pope book is quite good, and Decline and Fall chapter 15 is sort of a mandatory classic reading on the subject
>>
>>8633801
read them all and decide for yourself

they're academic texts bro
>>
>>8633819
*quite good for pop history

But if this is for school you can just show off the breadth of your citations, and if not, i actually a few times.
>>
>>8633832
FUCK

*I actually laughed a few times
>>
>>8633819
I regretted writing that question the moment I submitted the response.
>>
>>8633832
It's not for school. Just a spark of curiosity.
>>
>>8633868

From Jesus to Constantine: A History of Early Christianity by Bart Ehrman

Course is good.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:6a26e969ccba0c869fd57896f415e9529cfde3ea&dn=TTC Audio From Jesus to Constantine&tr=udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:6969/announce
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.