[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading, you know, books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Hopeful_student_1.jpg (40KB, 385x255px) Image search: [Google]
Hopeful_student_1.jpg
40KB, 385x255px
Studying English literature is great, it's the most rewarding and exciting thing I've done with my life so far. I love pouring over texts, reviewing scholarship, and trying to produce new knowledge about literary works. All of this is made possible by being part of an academic institution which allows me access to resources, human and textual.

However, the major drawback I'm finding with English literature as an academic pursuit is that I no longer have time to read for pleasure. Don't get me wrong, I love the texts I work with, I have to. But it's work. This is not a problem I had anticipated when I started studying.

I assume there are people who have gone through/are in literature programs right now. How do you negotiate this? Is it possible, or even worth it, to try and read for pleasure when 70% of my time is spent reading anyway?
>>
>>8633389
Reading for pleasure is the mark of a homosexual
>>
>Pouring
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/poring

Anon, shouldn't have fallen for the mixing work and pleasure meme to begin with.
Try reading some of that fringe shit on your free time, it might be separate enough from work to be pleasurable.
>>
>>8633396
I am very, very gay
>>8633405
Oh wow, I made a spelling mistake. Guess I'm a moron.

Besides, I think you misunderstood my question. It's not that I don't find reading to be pleasurable anymore, it's that I don't have time to read for reading's sake.
>>
>>8633446
If you don't have time, you don't have time. I don't think anyone here can manage it for you.
>>
>>8633389
I'm studying literature and I still read for pleasure, never had that problem
>>
>>8633446
Not a spelling mistake, you mixed up two homonyms. An honest mistake, but you kinda work with the language, might as well give you a heads up so you don't repeat it when it matters.

>Misunderstood my question
>Is it possible, OR EVEN WORTH IT,
I was commenting on the worth it thing.
If you want advice on squeezing more time out of a day that's not /lit/ stuff.
>>
>>8633455
Sure, but I was asking if anyone has had a similar experience and could provide some perspective.
>>8633463
Yeah points taken, sorry for being flippant.

Given all the non-/lit/ shit on here though, I think this is hardly an abuse of the board. I'm asking about time management as it pertains to reading books.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.