[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have I used the semicolon properly?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1476672804983.jpg (76KB, 1114x608px) Image search: [Google]
1476672804983.jpg
76KB, 1114x608px
I want to gain the necessary skills and a qualification to work in refrigeration and air conditioning because it excites me knowing that I could get a job anywhere in the world; refrigeration is necessary for the storage and transport of food and air conditioning is needed in all hot countries.
>>
>>8633092
>it excites me knowing
"excites me to know" ought to be more formal

Your semicolon usage is correct. I myself wouldn't use one there for fear that a dumb reader of the kind who think themselves smart would take it as something meant to be a colon, but it's correct.
>>
>>8633115
Thanks for the advice. Would it be too much trouble if you just skim my CV to see if it's okay?
It's for an apprenticeship and it's the first ever CV I've had to make.
>>
All a semi-colon does is link two independent clauses. I don't know why it causes so much confusion.

The first half of your sentence contains two independent clauses, which at worst makes the connection between clauses totally ambiguous, and at best makes it highly confused. It's still a poorly constructed sentence, imho.

I would write it like
>I want to gain the necessary skills and a qualifications to work in refrigeration and air conditioning. It excites me to know that I could get a job anywhere in the world; refrigeration and air conditioning systems are used all over the world.

This is better because a) you'd be articulating your desires in a stand-alone sentence, where it's impossible to confuse the reader what it is you want, b) you're linking two /and only two/ independent clauses together with your semi-colon c) you don't have to explain what refrigeration and air conditioning are for, Jesus Christ
>>
>>8633326
>job anywhere in the world; refrigeration and air conditioning systems are used all over the world.

the use of "world" twice is awkward

I'm not reading the rest of that, learn to write
>>
>>8633092
>I want to gain the necessary skills and a qualification to work in refrigeration and air conditioning because it excites me knowing that I could get a job anywhere in the world; refrigeration is necessary for the storage and transport of food and air conditioning is needed in all hot countries.
I wish to gain the necessary skills and a qualification to work in refrigeration and air conditioning as it excites me to know that I could pursue a career anywhere in the world; refrigeration is necessary for food storage and transport and air conditioning is needed in warm climates.

The semicolon is fine.

> Brief Summary of me: Hi, I like to hang out with my friends and hike. I find programming cool to do and I enjoy creating scripts to automate a task for me. Although I have very limited programming knowledge, I do enjoy looking at other people’s code online and understanding what the the syntax does and then applying it in new programs. I find music therapeutic and therefore enjoy it a lot more now that I have an appreciation for it. I also read books when I’m commuting and before bed. My favourite book is ‘The Picture of Dorian Grey’.

Don't say 'hi'.
Don't say 'hang out'.
Elaborate on your hiking - where to? what kind of hiking?
Don't say 'cool'.
What scripting languages do you know?
Don't say 'I have very limited programming knowledge', say 'I have programming knowledge' - they won't care how much you know.
What kind of music do you like? why?
Don't say 'a lot'.
What kind of books do you read? why?
Why is 'The Picture of Dorian Grey' your favourite?

> Why I want an ____ in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning: I want to gain the necessary skills and a qualifications to work in refrigeration and air conditioning. It excites me to know that I could get a job anywhere in the world; refrigeration and air conditioning systems are used all over the world.. ACs are not only to keep cool but to make sure the humidity is at a suitable level for humans. If there’s not enough water vapour in the air, then people’s skin would dry out. My work experience in highschool was in a engineering plant and the practical side interested me greatly.

Don't capitalise 'refrigeration' or 'air conditioning'.
Say 'wish', not 'want'.
See above for the other advice.
Fix the '..'.
Say 'ensure', not 'make sure'.
Don't use contractions like 'there's' in formal writing.
I would remove the 'If there's not enough...' sentence altogether - it's too simple.
Why did the 'practical side' of your work experience interest you greatly?

> Why ______________ I chose _____ because the company is interested in saving the environment. This is important to me because our job as human beings is to improve the quality of life for not only ourselves but the generations that follow. It would be a pleasure to work in a company that innovates because [at the end of the day] (ultimately) I can feel proud [that] I am making a positive difference.
>>
>>8633326
>Why I would be a good choice for an ___: Although I haven’t got any experience in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, I think it’s a valuable trade I would like to go into and for that reason I am willing to give it my all. I will be determined to learn as much as possible so [that] I can get the most out of this special opportunity. I realise how lucky I would be if I was chosen for this apprenticeship because I know how sought after they are, especially for such a progressive company like yours. I’m ready to work hard, go in whenever I’m needed and also learn independently outside of work.

Don't use 'haven't', write it out.
Don't capitalise 'refrigeration' or 'air conditioning'.
Don't use 'it's'.
Don't use 'my all'. 'Your all' what?
'...how lucky I would be if I *were* chosen...'
sought-after
Don't use 'I'm'.
Don't use 'go in whenever I'm needed' - the previous 'work hard' covers this, and this sounds grovelling.
>>
>>8633092
>intentionally didn't say please
My eyes.

Air conditioning is necessary for my survival man, you're a hero.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.