[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Audio Books || Audible || LibreVox

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: audio-books.jpg (65KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
audio-books.jpg
65KB, 640x427px
How do you get your audiobooks? Is it worth paying for Audible?
>>
> audiobooks
That's not how books work, anon.
>>
Audiobook bay
>>
>>8631703

$15 per month for one audiobook is a terrible deal. I've used the 3-month package as a present before for a normie but I see no value in it myself.

>audiobook quality is entirely dependent on the choice of narrator
>Audible-discounted audiobook costs thrice the price of the ebook

If Audible was a subscription service where you could listen to as much as you liked, as Spotify is, then it's worthwhile. Until that happens, torrent whatever you can get your hands on.

>>8631710

Yep.

>http://youaudiobook.com/
>>
I use audible and librevox. I spend 2.5 hours driving everyday and get tired of listening to the same songs over and over. Don't know how these other guys read their ebooks and drive but i imagine they won't be around long enough to tell us. And as far as audible being worth it, i think it is in my case. I always try to get books that are 30+ hours and pretty much take me through the whole month.
>>
Purely anecdotal but I've noticed people who listen to audio books have very shallow knowledge in everything they claim to know about.

They're the kind that think you can hack life and do shit like a specific exercise for 30 seconds a day and get six pack abs, or drink this 'superfood' shake and get all your nutrition from it.

They take shortcuts everywhere because they have no willpower or patience and are generally lazy wannabes.

Now onto the topic of audio books -- that's not how books work. Books are written and should be read. When you read, you actively perceive the words and structure of the sentences and many other aspects of literature. When you listen you miss out on half of these things.

Can you honestly not sit there and spend a couple of hours with a book in your hands or are you trying to do two things at once to optimize every second of your life?
>>
>>8632837
i just supplement, honestly
>>
>>8632837
>When you listen you miss out on half of these things.
Having read and listened to the same book multiple times, this is not the case, unless it is something in line with Ulysses or In Search of Lost Time. If it is something more standard, like Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Dick and so on, there is essentially no difference.
Literature having to be read is hardly true, has no one ever read to you? Alongside that, Iliad is meant to be sang, but really, reading it doesn't make it any worse.
>>
I work as a clockmaker. I listen to audible about six hours a day, since my hands and eyes are occupied. It's real comfy.
>>
I listen to audio books that I would never have read as a book because I like to actually read those. It's nice to listen on the long walk to uni
>>
Laugh my fucking ass off. If you listen to audio books you may as well just go play a video game or something, because listening to a book doesn't work out your brain like reading a book does.
>>
>>8633537
>Playing video games while walking
>Playing video games on the train
>Playing video games at work
>>
Hey all, used to work at audible.

the trick is to get a membership, then get refunds after reading the books. you do a refund, get a credit, pick another book. there's members with hundreds of books in their libraries. that way you get almost infinite books, just don't make it so obvious that you get banned.
>>
>>8633537
For some books, especially challenging books reading and notating are a must. However, not every book is a master work.

>>8635044
Thanks for the tip. I would have never found that out myself
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.