[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General Legal Questions/Writing Rules

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1260585284155.png (94KB, 600x541px) Image search: [Google]
1260585284155.png
94KB, 600x541px
I have a legal/rule of writing question, but I didn't want to make a whole thread just for one question, so if anyone else has questions, let's use this thread and try and help each other out.

Ok, here's my question:

I know it is legal to use quotes from other books (such as using a quote at the beginning of a chapter), as long as you name the original author of said quote, but is it legal to alter a quote by taking out a certain part of the quotes sentence?

So let me use a quote from Donnie Darko as an example.

“A storm is coming, Frank says.

A storm that will swallow the children.

And I will deliver them from the kingdom of pain.

I will deliver the children back to their doorsteps,

And send the monsters back to the underground.

I'll send them back to the place where no-one else can see them.

Except for me.”

-Donnie Darko

Now, if I wanted to take a part of that first sentence out-this part: 'Frank says', Can I legally do this? And if so, how can I do it in order to show the audience that the quote has been altered slightly from the original?
>>
Parenthesis.

I'm pretty sure this quote didn't feature in Donnie Darko, either.
>>
>>8631537

Donnie: [reading poem in class] "'A storm is coming,' Frank says. 'A storm that will swallow the children. And I will deliver them from the kingdom of Bane. I'll deliver the children back to their doorsteps. I'll send the monsters back to the underground. I'll send them back to a place where no one else can see them except for me, 'cause I am Donnie Darko.'"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/quotes

Thank you for the input though.
>>
>>8631557
I stand corrected. Perhaps I should be glad I'm detached enough from my edgy teenagehood not to remember Donnie Darko verbatim.
>>
>>8631650
Lol. I just watched it recently because it was on a Halloween movie list.

I've seen better, but it wasn't horrible.
>>
You're not seriously planning on quoting Donnie Darko for anything serious, right?
>>
https://depts.washington.edu/engl/askbetty/changing_quotations.php
>>
>>8633200
Damn that's really helpful, thank you so much.
>>
>>8633219
No prob bro. Just remember, >>>/wsr/
>>
>>8633224
Oh OK, will do for future stuff. I thought it better fit over here because this is the literature board, but now that I'm looking in the catalogue, maybe I should have asked in the critique thread first.
>>
I am attempting to write poems. I read some poetry here and there, but I've never written. I am dating a qt that writes poems and I am mesmerized by her poetry.

How important is it to learn how to write in meter? I really like non-rhyming meter and writing constrains in general.

Also, what are some tips for an absolute novice. I wrote one earlier today and it was pathetic.
>>
>>8634726
free verse poetry almost always is nothing more than words written in a column unless its author already can write in meter

it's pretty much like with avant-garde art, those who can't draw classically probably can't make a decent unorthodox picture either
>>
>>8634726
Free verse is not free of verse.

Read John Hollander's Rhyme's Reason. Its like 80 pages and has everything you need to know to start.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.