[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I use "derive" as an imperative verb?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

I'm writing a poem and I wanted to know if I can use the word "derive" as an imperative verb. For example, can I say:
"When it's all over and all is said and done, derive: _________" ?
>>
>>8631262
I've seen that in math textbooks, in other circumstances it is going to be a bit strange unless it's self-aware
>>
>>8631262
Yup.
>>
>>8631265
Could you elaborate a little more on how it would seem self-aware if you don't mind? I hadn't even thought of math textbooks until you brought it up and legit made me lol
>>
>>8631265
>>8631274
I meant to say on how it could be written as self-aware
>>
>>8631274
I can't write so it's going to be hard for me to make an example for you but something along the lines of a character using the imperative form in a setting where the formal connotations had been previously established, eg. a passage about people being prompted to do things because of obvious prior causes(though not obvious to the characters) eliminating their agency followed by someone asking a group to derive the ethical implications of choosing some option or another. It would have to be a lot more clever than that but that's the general idea i had. If you were really lame you could include the adjective 'tangential' or something
>>
>>8631312
Got it, I now realize it's out of place in my piece, but I still like how it sort of fits :S
>>
>>8631319
i just made up all that, it has nothing to do with reality, feel free to use the word derive however you want
>>
>>8631345
Lol thanks, I changed it to "take a dive" for now.
>>
>>8631319
We can't derive whether your usage is acceptable without further context. Post your piece.
>>
>>8631350
I can't even decide how to finish it, I'm currently going through something and writing is helping me get through it. I'll post it when it's good and ready.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.