[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Schopenhauer was wrong in his righteousness. He is correct on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 20

File: lesad.jpg (108KB, 500x617px) Image search: [Google]
lesad.jpg
108KB, 500x617px
Schopenhauer was wrong in his righteousness.

He is correct on everything he says, but he cares too much about them. That's why he is called the most negativistic philosopher, because of phrases like "Happiness is only the short relief of pain" and "The meaning of life is to relieve of pain" which basically means that "Happiness is the meaning of life", yet if you told him that he would deny it.

In my opinion he is ridiculous. He obviously had depression, and that's a reason for him to be sad, but yet he always refused to accept that there are people who can enjoy life no matter how harsh it may be. As Zapffe once defined as Sublimation, ignoring such negative outlets and focusing on the positive ones.
>>
>>8630334
Who cares? He was right about worthless roastwhores. He's fucking
BASED
>>
File: kdjsd.jpg (14KB, 324x109px) Image search: [Google]
kdjsd.jpg
14KB, 324x109px
>>8630334
The eyes chico, they never lie

On the left we have Matthieu Ricard, who has been hailed by scientists as absurdly upbeat. And on the right we have Schopenhauer, the Pessimist
>>
>>8630334
>ignoring such negative outlets and focusing on the positive ones

Would you say this is what Nietzsche did with his philosophy? And if not, can you point me to some who did?
>>
>>8630378
me

Nietzsche did that with his philosophy, but not so profoundly. As I said, all of Zapffe's books are about that philosophy, and other ways to ignore the negative and focus on the positive, just as religion, obliviousness, etc.
>>
Is there an actual point to trying to maxinize happiness? Its a chemical produced in limited quanities thats used to help people choose the best course amongst their options.

Ironically most people that brag about being happy probably average the same dopamine levels as everybody else.
>>
>>8630389
I think you are just fooling yourself, I doubt you dislike being happy.

My happiness is below the average level of happiness. I had depression a few years ago too. Back then, I had existential crisis every single day, I had trouble to sleep, I considered suicide every single moment. But after some time, since I already had interest in philosophy, I read about Sublimation at the same time I finished reading Zosima's life in The Brothers Karamazov. It made me love life once more, as I started ignoring all negative outlets, and focusing on the positive ones.

Today I am Christian. At first, I started reading the bible and trying to gain faith because I knew it would certainly make me even happier. But now I truly believe.

Life is better if you focus on the good parts of it.
>>
>>8630426
But why focus on the good parts of it? Im not happy where I am right now. I sure as fuck do not want to be a janitor for the next 30 years roleplaying as somebody who is content with life.
>>
>>8630445
>but why focus on the good parts of it?
Because it makes you happier? It's pretty obvious to me.

If you don't think focusing on the good parts of it will make you happier, then I suggest you read The Art of Happiness.
>>
What's the consensus on Kierkegaard and The Absurd?
>>
>>8630334
>because of phrases like "Happiness is only the short relief of pain" and "The meaning of life is to relieve of pain" which basically means that "Happiness is the meaning of life", yet if you told him that he would deny it.

The keyword there is "short". According to Schopenhauer, happiness is temporary and will only lead to more suffering. The true and permanent way to alleviate suffering is through the denial of the will to live.

Something like that. I haven't read his work in years.
>>
>>8630378
>>8630384
>ITT
>People who haven't read Nietzsche

Friedrich calls Schopenhauer a nihilist in On the Genealogy of Morals and puts him on blast for three paragraphs or so, insisting that all the "truths" Arnold ever posited were based solely in their author's feelings, which likewise stemmed from his own personal weakness.

The only thing these philosophers have in common is an appreciation for Wagner.
>>
>>8630920
>an appreciation for Wagner
You clearly haven't read Nietzsche either.
>>
>>8630334
You just lack his capacity for empathy, OP.
>>
>>8630426
>Today I am Christian

this entire post is maximum blue pill
>>
File: zapffe.jpg (38KB, 150x200px) Image search: [Google]
zapffe.jpg
38KB, 150x200px
>>8630426
>actually managed to fully bluepill himself

Are you just fucking with us, anon? If not, teach us your ways.
>>
File: Wojak rain feels.gif (365KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
Wojak rain feels.gif
365KB, 500x275px
>>8631001
the blue pill is the ultimate red pill

You realize the normies were right all along
>>
>>8630426

Can you please explain. Wannabe Christian here, I just can't make myself believe even though I have no reason not to.
>>
File: 1476197873510.png (105KB, 635x493px) Image search: [Google]
1476197873510.png
105KB, 635x493px
>>8631047

Sounds like something a Jew would say.
>>
>>8631047

that might be a good story actually

would it be depressing or uplifting tho
>>
>>8631067
>Oh, Anon. Don't you just want to take a rest and suckle up to my big Jewish titties?
>>
File: adolf.png (192KB, 483x362px) Image search: [Google]
adolf.png
192KB, 483x362px
>>8631072

E-ew! I would never!
>>
File: 1432562232700.jpg (53KB, 498x568px) Image search: [Google]
1432562232700.jpg
53KB, 498x568px
>>8631067
Yeah but they're happy and you aren't
>>
File: cyphersteak1.jpg (310KB, 1905x792px) Image search: [Google]
cyphersteak1.jpg
310KB, 1905x792px
>>8631047
But how do I get there?
>>
File: 1475409004413.jpg (26KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
1475409004413.jpg
26KB, 500x335px
>>8631075

I don't want to live in blissful ignorance.
>>
File: 1475891413001.jpg (61KB, 470x595px) Image search: [Google]
1475891413001.jpg
61KB, 470x595px
>>8631073
when you have just the right hitler pic
>>
File: kat de.jpg (51KB, 579x800px) Image search: [Google]
kat de.jpg
51KB, 579x800px
>>8631073
>Haha Anon, you're so cute! But really Anon, you dont have to go fight in a race war... I want you to love me and want us to have children together, we wouldn't even have to raise them Jewish. Please Anon, just say the word and I will be YOURS, and you will be MINE.
>>
File: adolfh.gif (966KB, 500x391px) Image search: [Google]
adolfh.gif
966KB, 500x391px
>>8631092

I wish, kike-kun, but I am married to Germany.
>>
>>8631108
>But I can be your second "Wife". Germany doesn't have to know... It'll be our little secret. My fertile Jewish womb will be yours, my love will be yours, and I will birth children, for YOU.
>>
>>8630920
>The only thing these philosophers have in common is an appreciation for Wagner.
When did Schopenhauer ever express appreciation for Wagner?
>>
>>8631081
It's redpilled to act bluepilled

Never revel your true powerlevel
>>
>>8631082
>mistaking depression for enlightenment
>>8631219
the truth is that your state is generally irrelevant to what you know about the world. something which a lot of chronically depressed people don't seem to grasp because they've forgotten joy.

in fact now that i'm happier idiots become a lot easier to deal with, i was a lot more productive etc. when you feel happy nobody can fuck with you, pretending to be happy on the other hand can really fuck you up. just take it as it comes, deal with shit if you have to and try to enjoy the many things life has to offer.
you just need to accept that throughout your life your state will change as your life does, there's no "correct" state and if you try and force anything you'll just feel really dead inside.
>>
>>8630334
>That's why he is called the most negativistic philosopher, because of phrases like "Happiness is only the short relief of pain" and "The meaning of life is to relieve of pain" which basically means that "Happiness is the meaning of life", yet if you told him that he would deny it.
Yeah because it's wrong. Try reading it again instead coming here to bitch about pessimism on impulse.
>>
>>8631492
for all the rhetoric they are experienced with western philosophers have this amazing ability to make simple concepts unnecessarily complicated. is it a small penis thing?
>>
>>8630983
This. People like OP nonchalantly sweep aside all the bad, all the people and things in this world that don't fit into their happy, neat little philosophy. Admit you're another egoist and move on. At least Schopenhauer doesn't choose to ignore anything, even for him the negatives outweigh the positives.
>>
>>8631520
i swear all philosophers and philosophy readers are literal autists. you realize that with life experience you're able to notice negative aspects of the world and deal with them if you have to without having to rhetoricize it in an attempt to stave off your infantile reaction towards it.
>>
>>8631712
No. You are not intelligent, you are not wise, you are not ahead of the curve, you are not more life experienced. Your hot "realizations" are nothing special. The philosophers and philosophy readers aren't making things too complicated for poor you; you're just too stupid and conceited to expand beyond the comforts of your tiny ego.

You are just another jackass masturbating. If that's what you're good at (it certainly makes you feel good), stick to it. Just keep it to yourself.
>>
>>8631219
But how do you fool yourself?
>>
>>8631001
>>8631060
>>8631081
>>8632103
I never really cared about the truth, and I always believed that ignorance is bliss. After that I just kept seeking things that make me happy and discarding things that make me sad.

I guess it's just my personality
>>
>>8630334
>"The meaning of life is to relieve of pain"

this is so out of context my left leg hurts.
>>
>>8630445
>I sure as fuck do not want to be a janitor for the next 30 years roleplaying as somebody who is content with life.
Don't talk like it's your happiness when it's purely based on comparison with other people.
>>
While 'refusing to accept that there are people who can enjoy life no matter how harsh it may be' is a mistake, and a pretty big one at that i do have to agree with most of his opinions on happiness, they seem comparable to some Buddhism teachings about happiness. In western culture happiness IS the ultimate goal in life, why is this? Why must we strive to be happy continually.
>>
>>8631514
Underrated post
>>
Can someone post his quote on roastwhores?
>>
File: 1475785910177.png (31KB, 1003x347px) Image search: [Google]
1475785910177.png
31KB, 1003x347px
>>8632144
this good. now it is time to see that you do not control your likes, your dislikes, the objects that you seek, the objects that you avoid, your moods, the means to fulfill your desires, the means to fulfill your aversion. After this, since you still want to be happy, you see that caring about what is not you is precisly what makes you unhappy.
>>
File: 1462823325290.jpg (509KB, 1080x1120px) Image search: [Google]
1462823325290.jpg
509KB, 1080x1120px
reminder that, no matter how hard you try to be happy, this roastie will always be happier than you just by existing, thanks to men.
>>
This one time in Kyrgyzstan (Manas AFB) it was about -20f and i radioed my patrol leader to come out and drive me to the nearest heated toilet because i had to drop a massive duece.

He was taking forever and i didnt want to shit in the guard shack and spend the rest of the shift smelling poo.

Anyways i gathered my courage and accepted the fact that i was going to have to shit in the plastic portapotty that was half buried in snow for like three months now. I bundled up and headed outside to dig the door loose.

I got inside and tried to hover my ass over the frosted seat. After awhile i accidentally lowered down onto the seat and my ass instantly froze to the seat of the porta john.

/lit/ im going to level with you. Ive been shot at, taken frag from an IED, and may have even killed someone (know i atleast hit him). But ill tell you right now the scariest time of my career in SF was thinking "Holy shit im going to have to radio someone to bring hot water out to unfreeze my ass from this seat. What if they take pictures? What if i have to go to medical for frostbite on my ass cheeks? What if my wife hears about this? How long am i going to get made fun of for this?"

This was 8 fucking years ago and the most recent joke about it was two weeks ago.

Life as the guy whos ass froze to a porta potty.
>>
I decided to go for a long night snowshoe trek on a clear, cold, January night in the Northern Great Plains. The moon that night was bright, like really bright clear winter night moons are, and there was little to no wind. I had been snowshoeing a couple hours already. It was about midnight and I was in the middle of nowhere, and I decided to make my way across a valley from one windswept prairie hill to another. I'm trudging along, about halfway across the valley under the full moon when I broke through the snow pack and fell about 4 feet or so. It turned out that I had been trekking on top of a crust covering a cattail marsh, and while everything was frozen and there was no risk of falling into water or anything, I was now stuck wading in snow up to my neck through cattails in -20 below weather in the middle of nowhere. So, my snowshoes now a major hindrance, I take them off and start using them together as a shovel to break the crust down through to the soft snow underneath so that I can make my way out. The whole time I'm working I'm at eye level with this endless sheet of snow stretching from one side of the valley to the other, a sea of blue-white from the moon with the white shadows of hills all around me, and every time I stopped to take a breather the world was dead silent. Just the dead of winter quiet. Like eye level, guys. So, I keep working at breaking a trail for about 50 yards or so until I run into a narrow, but well-used deer trail through the marsh that looked like a slit trench and which was all icy from the deer hooves compacting the snow down. It was still slow going, the snow was still at eye level as I plodded along, but at least I didn't need to break trail. I decided to follow the deer trail wherever it went since I wasn't about to keep digging my way across the valley. I go about 20 yards down this narrow, dark and winding deer trail trench and the most primal feeling starts to creep over me...
>>
>>8632350
...So, this feeling was one I had never felt before. I can explain it, just that it was all-encompassing, something you couldn't ignore. This primal feeling rapidly expands outward through my body as I take another step and then stop, listening.

There's nothing to hear, no sound but the emptiness of snow. My head is sticking out of this landscape, and there is a white sheet of snowpack as far as I can see under the bright moon in all directions, except for the shadows of the wandering trail behind me that I can see. Dead silence and this massive landscape, and this powerful feeling, growing and growing. My brain tries to catch up and I realize that it's instinct of some kind, that it has to be some sort of instinct, and for a millisecond I'm kind of naively happy I have this natural instinct, but just a millisecond later this quickly begins to erode and decline as my brain -- still catching up -- stitches together that I am alone for miles and miles, that I have been and am struggling noisily to make my way through the snow in the middle of the night in the middle of a place I should not be, now on a trail used by deer, eye level with the snow for all directions, and that on this dead silent, clear, moonlit night I am being actively hunted.

Btw, I have serious fucking goosebumps right now recounting this story.

The scariest part is that I haven't seen nor heard anything -- I just FEEL it in every part of my body, and it's not adrenaline. Adrenaline is just starting to flow. Now, we've all had those weird times when we've "felt" animals, and turned around to see a deer behind us or looked up to see an owl looking down at us. This wasn't that. No, some deeper primal alarm went off that I hadn't felt before nor since, and just thinking about it starts to induce adrenaline again.

So, I start making deep and loud noises, making sure I sound large and massively clumsy instead of tired and bogged down like I am....
>>
>>8632300
>>8632350
>>8632351

don't chimp out please
>>
>>8632351
...Every few steps I look all the way around making sure it doesn't seem like I'm doing the prey animal thing and showing that I'm afraid and that's why I must stay vigilant. It took another hour to get out of that marsh, to break out onto firm snow on short grass prairie. When I finally did, I was fucking tired. I lumbered up onto a mound, a small rise of earth just beyond the edge of the marsh, and looked back across the snowpack. I saw trails of tracks in the moonlight all around, on both sides of the trail I had broke, fresh tracks. My eyes continued across the valley to the hill on the other side, and I saw one lone coyote standing there looking back at me, just a ghost in the snow under the moonlight.

I never saw or heard them. I never saw a coyote track that whole night. At more than one point, they had to have been only a few feet away, and I never knew they were there. For all they knew, I was a deer stuck in the snow like so many deer they'd probably killed out of there before, and they undoubtedly approached as though that's what I was.

Now I've had coyotes fuck with me like coyotes like to fuck with horses and cattle and other things they can't eat. They yip and howl and run around and generally try to troll you. I had a pack start doing that less than a hundred yards from me one night when I was late for my return trip, in the middle of nowhere, alone after dark. That's not scary if you've grown up spending time in the wild. It's actually kind of fun (especially when they stampede horses just for the fuck of it). I've had coyotes not give a shit that I'm there, and just go on their way. I've hunted coyotes. But, let me tell you something -- you can't imagine how they behave when they're hunting you. You fucking know they're there, but you can't see, hear or smell them.

So that's my terror moment. Floundering, stuck in snow, growing more and more fatigued, the one and only time my predator alert instinct went off.
>>
>>8632351
(addendum)

Once I was up out of the valley and on my way (and once the coyotes figured I wasn't an easy meal anymore), the fear went away. Like, surprisingly quickly considering how intense the experience was. It's like once I had put together everything, my brain could accept that I was the apex predator again and all was right with the world. An hour or so after this, I made myself a dugout snow shelter in a stand of trees where the drifts had piled snow deep, made a fire, and unrolled my sleeping bag. Sometime about 3:30am I snapped awake with another feeling, different than the terror-inducing one earlier, but still crystal clear. My fire was still burning as I wanted, and I stayed very still listening and looking up at the rim of my shelter. Nothing. It was a clear, instinctive feeling, but I felt totally okay with it whatever it was, so I went back to sleep without any apprehension.

In the morning when I got up I saw that a single line of red fox tracks had come up to the opening of my shelter, made one loop, and then continued off following the same line, as though I had dug my shelter right in the middle of some fox's nightly highway.

But seriously -- I've accidentally found myself in several fresh mountain lion kill areas, as well as one time unknowingly wandering near a mountain lion dens that probably had cubs. I've become abruptly alert and concerned, but nothing compares to that night in the marsh.
>>
>>8630345

Leftist and liberals will ignore this and say it's an anachronism and nothing more.
>>
>>8632103
You don't, you fool everyone else.

Also it's not about being happy, it's about winning
>>
>>8632514
How do you win the game?
>>
>>8632532
Make other people lose
>>
>>8630334
Well, one could argue that the absence of pain is not necessarily the presence of happiness.
>>
File: 263578728_9d0ecf3594_b.jpg (161KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
263578728_9d0ecf3594_b.jpg
161KB, 1024x681px
>>8632195
capitalism, man
>>
>>8632282
happiness is a meme
>>
>>8632758
man detected
>>
File: 「Too Much Monkey Business」.png (106KB, 346x327px) Image search: [Google]
「Too Much Monkey Business」.png
106KB, 346x327px
>>8632766
And Proud

>imagine being a woman where your only worth is effectively 0 after mid 30s
I almost pity them in a way
>>
>>8631349
>mistaking depression for enlightenment
Questions for discussion:
Can one be certain of one's own enlightenment?
Is enlightenment just another meme?
Does anyone here believe they've achieved enlightenment? Can I read your diary desu?
>>
>>8632828
Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know
>>
>>8632195
>in western culture happiness IS the ultimate goal in life
Buddhism basically teaches that. With enlightenment, happiness ensues.
>>
>>8632275
>buddhism is complex therefore it's good
>monks are always after eternal life for self
Pretty sure that people who only seek eternal life for themselves won't get that eternal life.

Have you ever even read any book on buddhism? Buddhists are examples of happiness. See Dalai Lama, damn, the man is happy all the time and always preaches about how good life is and about compassion and such. Not a single word about anti-natalism. And Buddha never said a word about a anti-natalism too, that's just speculation
>>
File: 1476194865967.jpg (10KB, 157x157px) Image search: [Google]
1476194865967.jpg
10KB, 157x157px
>>8632921
>See Dalai Lama, damn, the man is happy all the time and always preaches about how good life is and about compassion and such

he's a PR guy trying to take back his throne and get back his harem and slaves
>>
>>8632543
This.
>>8632828
Enlightenment is a meme. As a professional meme man who has attained it, I can confirm. It's pretty chill, just relaxing in my perfectly axiomatic view of the world that relies on easily proved points. Comfy as fuck.
>>
>>8632921
I did not write the post in the picture
>>
>>8632781
only betas think that women do not get providers after 30
>>
>>8631732
my realizations are nothing special, it's this amazing thing called common sense. the difference between the average person who actually has a life and the philosopher-autist is that i know the things i know aren't that special. keep living in your delusion tho.
>>
>>8632912
thinking you need enlightenment to be happy is pretty depressing
>>
>>8635317
you don't, and mayhana buddhismus doesn't say that.
>>
>>8635320
>Buddhism basically teaches that. With enlightenment, happiness ensues.
>With enlightenment, happiness ensues.
?
>>
>>8631001
The actual redpill is knowing that bluepilling yourself is the only way to make yourself into a functional individual for the betterment of yourself, those you love, and society

All other redpills are bluepills in the sense that they foster your addiction to ressentiment through selective thinking
>>
>>8635340
redpill/bluepill is slavery to your mind. try being in the world.
>>
>>8635333
he's wrong is what I'm saying. Buddhism of the pure land might say that but I doubt it. Pretty much all eastern traditions of buddhism see enlightenment as a dettatchment from the self - Not a surge of happiness, but an exit from the happiness/unhappiness dualism into a state of pure contentment, non-desire.
>>
>>8635364
detachment, sounds about right.
>>
>>8635379
>>8635364
it is just that the detachment stops unhappiness, then normies turns this into happiness. it is not wrong, but it is happiness not through pleasure, pleasure which is the only thing that normies know. if you want pleasure useful for stopping unhappiness, do jhanas, but normies cannot even do this.
>>
>>8635426
happiness and pleasure is pretty cool
>>
What's the point of being unhappy, seriously? I get why some apathetic young white dude who has had an easy life might want to feign being a Tortured Soul (TM) as a means of attracting the type of moody, introverted arty girls on campus. But for real, why be unhappy? It's pointless, and very likely to result in you living a life defined by failure, poverty and sexual frustration. Me? I haven't even frowned this year. I never get upset. I'm making $110,000 working in Real Estate and I have a beautiful Croatian wife who is the most beautiful, caring, tender and unintelligent woman I could ever hope to meet. She's perfect, and as a consequence of my effort to live happily, my life is also perfect. There are zero flaws. None. I wake early, I eat healthy, I avoid reading books whose intentions are to trick me into feeling glum, I listen to loud, high energy music with lyrics emphasizing how amazing life is. I have regular sex. I visit my parents. I exercise. I have conquered reality. My will is exerted without boundary or restriction on life and as a result I don't feel at all powerless as others do, nor do I allow any repressive instincts to burden my psychology. Seriously guys, you should try it out some time. Just be happy. You don't even need to smile, although it helps. Stop looking for reasons to justify being narcissistic and self-pitying. Stop resorting to nihilism when life gets too hard. Just keep your chin up, hit the gym, have sex with some women, and avoid anything that seeks to remind you of the painful things in life.
>>
>>8635431
If you're a genuinely intelligent and self-aware individual neither pleasure nor happiness actually exist in your experience of outward reality.
>>
>>8635441
they do though. lol.
>>
>>8635448
No, they don't. It's obvious you aren't genuinely intelligent nor self-aware. Unless you contemplate suicide every day your expressions are practically unworthy of intellectual consideration.
>>
>>8630976
And you don't know why Nietzsche wrote about Wagner.
>>
>>8635452
you make the common mistake of thinking living in your delusional fantasy land makes you smarter and more self-aware. lol.
>>
>>8635314
>i know the things i know aren't that special
Of course, that's why this thread exists, because you know your brain farts aren't special. Guess common sense isn't too common after all :^)

Maybe some philosophical autism will cure you of that mental deficiency. Don't worry: if it hurts, it's good for you.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.